GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Headlight adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-02, 01:19 PM
NCSKYLEX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight adjustment

Hello all,
I had the L-Tuned suspension package installed on my 98' GS400,and asked the Lexus dealer to shim the rear suspension about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch higher to give the car a slight rake(I always thought the car looked a little low in the tail before) The look is just right now,at least for me,but now it appears my factory HID's are pointing too low.I asked the Lexus people to check them on two different occasions,they say they are fine.I am quite sure they do not project as far as they did.I did a search under "headlights" and looked at all 9 pages.Lots of conflicting info.Some say the auto levelers negate the need for adjusting,some say a hex nut(one of 2) will adjust them,some say a phillips screwdriver is the tool of choice,and their was even mention of a "lever"located near the right rear suspension for adjustment after lowering the car! Can anybody offer some clear advice on this matter. Thanks for your help!
Skylar
Old 03-30-02, 01:32 PM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

i dont understand.. if they are auto levelin why do they need to be adjusted?
Old 03-30-02, 01:50 PM
NCSKYLEX
Driver School Candidate

I too thought the "auto levelers" would mean no adjustment necessary,but their appears to be confusion on the operation of this system also.I know when I back into my driveway at night(over the curbing and slightly downhill) I can see the headlights adjusting on my neighbors house across the street,so I know they are working.Some have suggested they do not compensate for a car which has been lowered,however.After spending some time in the garage just now,I did notice a silver "cog" located between the headlight assembly and the high beams.Could this be it?
Old 03-30-02, 03:00 PM
NCSKYLEX
Driver School Candidate

Default Fixed!

Just wanted to let everyone know,after some experimentation(being careful to return anything which didn't work back to its original setting) that I found the adjusters for the headlights and corrected the problem.They were out of adjustment BADLY!Apparently the "auto levelers" have little to do with headlight aiming!
Old 03-30-02, 03:23 PM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

and??? How did you do it?
Old 03-30-02, 06:23 PM
NCSKYLEX
Driver School Candidate

Default How I did it!

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply,I was on my way out when I was trying to make the adjustment,and just got back.I will try to be as specific as possible,as this is a problem I ran into when trying to find a solution before.Disclaimer:this will work on a 98' GS400 with factory HID's.While I have no reason to believe they made any headlight changes on later models,without actually looking under the hood I cannot gaurantee the specifics.Here goes;As you are facing the front of the car follow that part of the headlight assembly which houses the turn signal indicater straight back until you pass the steel engine bay member which passes in front of the radiator.The backside of the headlight assembly is black plastic,and you will see a protrusion which houses a round silver piece with "teeth" on it visible through a small slot,and an 8mm hex nut on it facing the firewall.Turn this nut counterclockwise(again,as you look at the car from in front of it)and it will raise the headlight assembly.Hope this helps others out.Don't know why my Lexus dealer would not make the adjustment for me,as they were obviously out of alignment,but problem solved.

P.S. This should be done with the ignition on and the headlights turned on so the "auto levelers" will have done their thing,and not affect the final alignment.