GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

abbriviation

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-02 | 05:30 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by JAC JZS

Yeah, I posted something yesterday on that in the https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=43463 thread. I was talking to a dealer a couple of days ago asking questions about future models and he told me that he had no idea and that the customers usually know more about whats going on than the saleman:eek:
You know what JAC JZS, I'm in sales too (different industry) but it's our job to know the latest and the greatest about our products as well as know everything about the current product.

You other salespeople will agree with me too!

How can you sell your product effectively without really even knowing it or keeping up to date on it? Granted you can't know the future of a model, but at least you can read about the buzz on great forums like this one.

But then again Lexus and the name sells itself, so you can put any idiot or monkey in a suit to sell it. Just kidding!

You know if we didn't have such great jobs now, we would probably all be Lexus salespeople or own our own Lexus dealership!
Old 03-31-02 | 06:33 PM
TexastyleGS4

Guys easy on the Lexus salesman, I am a Lexus salesman. I can break it down for you.
ES = executive sedan
LS = luxury sedan
GS = gran(d) sedan
IS = international sedan

suvs

LX = luxury 4X4 (evidently X denotes 4X4)
RX = refined 4X4
GX = new model coming out soon, I don't know the abbrev yet

We are a great company that very thoroughly trains our salespeople. Shame on every sales consultant that does not know these abbrevs. It is true, however, that we do not have any greater insight to new models than the average person. I'm sure that when arrival dates get closer, we will have more details than the general public.

Not to flame, but you say your "good jobs" (and I'm sure they are). My job is a great job, I work 9-5 two days a week, 10-7 two days a week get one weekday off and work Sat., have full benefits as well as 401k matching and make six figs. What more do you need? Granted some people do not like to work on Saturdays, but when you love cars and love people, it makes it easy.

Keep in mind that the majority of Lexus sales consultants aren't interested in performance like I am so they would never stumble on to such a great website as this.

Old 03-31-02 | 06:42 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

TexastyleGS4, while I have heard alot of salesmen use those for the abbreviations those are not set in stone right? I have also heard many others. Those are not official Lexus abbreviations right? At least that's what I have heard from many dealers.
Old 03-31-02 | 06:52 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by TexastyleGS4
Guys easy on the Lexus salesman, I am a Lexus salesman. I can break it down for you.
ES = executive sedan
LS = luxury sedan
GS = gran(d) sedan
IS = international sedan

suvs

RX = refined 4X4

We are a great company that very thoroughly trains our salespeople. Shame on every sales consultant that does not know these abbrevs. It is true, however, that we do not have any greater insight to new models than the average person. I'm sure that when arrival dates get closer, we will have more details than the general public.

Not to flame, but you say your "good jobs" (and I'm sure they are). My job is a great job, I work 9-5 two days a week, 10-7 two days a week get one weekday off and work Sat., have full benefits as well as 401k matching and make six figs. What more do you need? Granted some people do not like to work on Saturdays, but when you love cars and love people, it makes it easy.

Keep in mind that the majority of Lexus sales consultants aren't interested in performance like I am so they would never stumble on to such a great website as this.

You're right, not all Lexus Salespeople are bad. That was just a stereotype and generalization, since the one I dealt with was very good. There is also nothing wrong with enjoying your job, happiness in what you do is the key to a great job!

By the way this site is not only about performance, it's about ownership comments, that the Lexus surveys are always looking for. It's a forum that thinks, breathes and eats Lexus all day long. It's a great indicator of what some of the lexus consumer's are thinking about and venting.
Old 03-31-02 | 07:02 PM
TexastyleGS4

Those abbrevs are straight from Lexus. I just had to renew my associate product knowledge certification two weeks ago. and at the workshop this was covered. ...yes there are LOTS of other unofficial abbrevs out there, I get asked about them all the time.
Old 03-31-02 | 07:14 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Oh OK, thanks I guess ALOT of the Lexus salespeople don't know that
Old 03-31-02 | 07:19 PM
SADDLE
Lexus Test Driver

i think its weird how motor companys come up with car names

drew
Old 03-31-02 | 10:01 PM
alexus
Pole Position

lol
Old 04-01-02 | 05:11 AM
Wally
Driver

Talking

Ganja Smoker
Old 04-01-02 | 06:14 AM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

GS= Get'em Sucker
Old 04-08-02 | 10:20 PM
Lead Lap

Originally posted by TexastyleGS4
ES = executive sedan
LS = luxury sedan
GS = gran(d) sedan
IS = international sedan

suvs

RX = refined 4X4

Not to flame, but you say your "good jobs" (and I'm sure they are). My job is a great job, I work 9-5 two days a week, 10-7 two days a week get one weekday off and work Sat., have full benefits as well as

401k matching and make six figs. What more do you need? Granted some people do not like to work on Saturdays, but when you love cars and love people, it makes it easy.

I am in sales also, and product knowledge as well as customer service/personality is what separates the good from the best. i wont mention the rest. Too many so called salesman try to get by on personality and pushy approaches. My salesman here at Tom Williams Lexus Bham, AL---- M. Lawley is very knowledgeable as well as he appreciates the performance side. He told me that when the GS400 came out Lexus sent him to Texas whereby he sat with a stunt driver and they took the car on a test track got it up to high speed and purposely threw it into a 360 spin (Which stablity control off) then repeated it with it on to demonstrate that it actually works. That's product training!!!

Thanks for clearing it all up.