GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS Owner's comments on a 2002 BMW X5 4.4

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-02, 05:25 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS Owner's comments on a 2002 BMW X5 4.4

A family member of mine just leased a 2002 BMW X4 4.4 (with no Sports Package) and was kind enough to let me drive it for a couple of days while he was out of town.

If any of you are interested in this vehicle currently of in the future, here are my comments:

1. The BMW 4.4 V8 churns out 290 horses, this makes it a monster of a truck, SAV, SUV, whatever BMW wants to call it.
I believe this is the same V8 that is used in the BMW 540 and I can't even imagine how quick that would feel in a much lighter sedan.

This power is incredible, it propels the truck like a rocket. It's scarey at times how fast this truck can go and you don't even realize it.

2. The X5 feels like a tank. I do have to admit the German's really give you that solid tank feel in their vehicles. Feels like the car is indestructable. Everything from the doors to the windows feel heavy.

3. The gas mileage is probably not that good, but who cares! The X5 has a large gas tank, so you don't have to be filling up every other day. It shows around 400+ miles on the tank.

4. The BMW steering and handling has always been tight (almost like it had no power steering), so it makes the car feel very solid at highway speeds. No loose or vibrating steering. This is what I like about BMW vehicles.

5. The look of this X5 is sporty for a midsizetruck, although the back (like most all cars) needs some getting used too. But sporty enough to make it more nimble than all the rest of the huge SUVs out there.

6. There was no NAV unit in this X5, since BMW's no-touch screen NAV is inferior to what Lexus and Acura offer now.

7. Getting the premium audio option for the X5 is a waste of money, since the current unit is adequate, but nothing can compare to the Lexus Mark Levinson Audio system.

7. Even without the sports package the ride is tight and somewhat rough, since after all it is a truck. I can't even imagine how it would feel with the enhanced sports package and how rough that ride would be, but guys will always want the sports package and the look of the more sportier version. Even without the sports package, the tire and wheel package is very nice.

8. Leasing is the way to go for BMW vehicles since the reliability is still not up there like Lexus and they are building these units in South Carolina which doesn't even give me a comfy feeling. In the long term it's very expensive to maintaing a BMW past the factory warranty. It's simply amazing how BMW owners just deal with the reliability issues, simply because the vehicle is so fun to drive. This X5 is very fun to drive in my opinion.

9. The interior is not nearly as luxurious as a Lexus, but that maybe a preference. I believe the Japanese have the best interiors. BMW's also have this weird new car smell to them that lingers too.

I just wanted to say that this is a great attempt at combining a truck with a car like ride. The only thing holding me back would be the reliability issues, but the fun of driving this vehicle really does make up for it, I hate to say. If any of you want even more power go for the BMW X5 4.6, which has around 340 HP.

I still can't believe the new Lexus GX470 (coming out towards the end of this year) will only churn out 230HP when the competition is continually boosting their horse power now and imagine how much towards the end of this year. A friggin Nissan Pathfinder will have more horses than the new Lexus GX470-Mitsubishi Montero looking truck.
Old 04-01-02, 01:08 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the review! I wanted to do an extended test drive of one of these during one of BMW promo events but both the X5's they had blew their trannies...

It's REALLY sad how Lexus isn't take up the HP fight. Sure, there are reasons NOT too but let's face it, America is Lexus's biggest market, Americans like big numbers. The GX470 should be putting out 300HP...
Old 04-01-02, 04:09 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by manaray
Thanks for the review! I wanted to do an extended test drive of one of these during one of BMW promo events but both the X5's they had blew their trannies...

It's REALLY sad how Lexus isn't take up the HP fight. Sure, there are reasons NOT too but let's face it, America is Lexus's biggest market, Americans like big numbers. The GX470 should be putting out 300HP...
Manaray,

As an American, I couldn't have said it better - we like big numbers as you said! Even if people argue otherwise, it is a Horsepower number game out there. The more expensive your car, the more horsepower it should have.

As for the blown trannies for that promo drive event, that was pretty funny! That's embarassing!
Old 04-01-02, 09:17 AM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ny sis has a 4.6 and all I have to say about it is tha it would give the gs400 a run for its money that thing can fly!!!:eek:
Old 04-01-02, 04:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,630 Posts

I drove a X5 4.4 (with sport package) and it definitely feels fast, but I still didn't feel comfortable flinging it around corners with its high center of gravity. It's impressive for a truck, but it's still nothing like my GS400.

And as an SUV it's utility is pretty limited (my RX300 has considerably more cargo space).

But BMW is laughing all the way to the bank... no one said it had to be practical.
Old 04-01-02, 10:09 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, what Lexus isn't understanding is that if you're $36K for a ES300, it is EMBARASSING to get smoked by a $25K Maxima. Same this with the IS300 and the G35.

It looks like Infiniti has finally pulled it's head out of it's ****, now it's time for Lexus to do the same....the competition is passing us up in everything but Reliablilty and Customer Service...that only goes so far...
Old 04-02-02, 04:05 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, what Lexus isn't understanding is that if you're $36K for a ES300, it is EMBARASSING to get smoked by a $25K Maxima. Same this with the IS300 and the G35.

It looks like Infiniti has finally pulled it's head out of it's ****, now it's time for Lexus to do the same....the competition is passing us up in everything but Reliablilty and Customer Service...that only goes so far...
Manaray,

I think you hit that one right on the dot. Lexus Reliability and Customer service is at the top and very important, however half the fun is driving a car that you really want since you paid all that money for it

If you can't find a Lexus model to your liking you will forgo that Customer Service and reliability just a little to get what really fits your need, which is in another brand.

For guys in general, we need more power and sportiness! If that need is not met we have to look elsewhere.

I just want it all and I hope Lexus can deliver sooner rather than later.
Old 04-02-02, 04:10 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by bitkahuna
I drove a X5 4.4 (with sport package) and it definitely feels fast, but I still didn't feel comfortable flinging it around corners with its high center of gravity. It's impressive for a truck, but it's still nothing like my GS400.

And as an SUV it's utility is pretty limited (my RX300 has considerably more cargo space).

But BMW is laughing all the way to the bank... no one said it had to be practical.
Bit,

You're right, practical, smractical!

It's like no one care's these days and the more the better.

People often ask me how practical it is to own a car (GS4) that has 300HP V8 in it when there are cars out there that get 40MPG. They ask why do I need that much power in car. Again the answer is the more the better.

I do believe the RX300 is most likely smoother and more refined than the X5 4.4 and even more practical, but it's just in a different class and different buyers.

I can't wait to see what Lexus comes out with, when the new Canadian Made RX300 is introduced. I hope they beef it up a bit and make it more sportier. Or maybe the GX470 is supposed to compete in that arena. Who knows.
Old 04-02-02, 01:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,630 Posts

For once I disagree with you manaray. 99% of ES300 buyers couldn't give a rats *** that they might get beat by a Maxima. They'll get beat by some Civics too.

IS300 vs G35 is a closer comparison although the G35 is almost the same size as a GS. IS300 will get upgrades of course.

Man... so many pessimists.
Old 04-02-02, 02:10 PM
SADDLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a friend of mine has a 01' x5 3.0, its a 5spd, its a really nice SUV, i mean what do you expect its a beemer.

drew
Old 04-02-02, 02:41 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Is that the same "beemer" that makes my so-called girly ride, Drew?

P.S. A beemer is a motorcycle; a bimmer is a car. Just so you know.
Old 04-02-02, 02:59 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: GS Owner's comments on a 2002 BMW X5 4.4

Originally posted by lexguynj

I just wanted to say that this is a great attempt at combining a truck with a car like ride. The only thing holding me back would be the reliability issues, but the fun of driving this vehicle really does make up for it, I hate to say. If any of you want even more power go for the BMW X5 4.6, which has around 340 HP.

And the new X5 comes stock with awesome looking 20's..... Ive seen it up close and it is BAD!!!! Brushed aliminum interior as well......
Old 04-02-02, 04:12 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

the 4.4 is really nice and fast, but the 4.6 is even nicer... my mom has the 4.6 and it flies to 60 in 6.1 seconds or a little faster.. the 4.4 does it in 6.7 so its not that big of a diff, but its nice... its cool beating someone with an SUV when theyre driving a riced up civic...
Old 04-08-02, 09:54 PM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah but look at the price tag on the 4.6. if you want a sportscar get one. Who wants to go that fast in a truck (SUV whatever) i thought you buy that stuff to tow stuff like bikes, boats and / or to carry your family and friends on trips . BMW needs to add a 3rd row. You can buy a Expedition (1/2 the price) Navigator, Escalade, Tahoe, Yukon etc. etc. etc. and with more seating and towing capacity, X5 looks good i checked it out but if i buy a truck i will go American. Lincoln and Cadillac are truly representing.
Old 04-09-02, 12:19 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by bitkahuna

For once I disagree with you manaray. 99% of ES300 buyers couldn't give a rats *** that they might get beat by a Maxima. They'll get beat by some Civics too.

IS300 vs G35 is a closer comparison although the G35 is almost the same size as a GS. IS300 will get upgrades of course.

Man... so many pessimists.
While it's true that 99% of the ES300 buyers don't CARE about beating a Maxima in real life, having the HP numbers will NOT hurt...while NOT having the HP numbers might. I mean who pushes the fact that their car has LESS horsepower than the competition?!

I mean do think Lexus would loose customers if the GS300 had 275HP?...and the GS430 had 375HP? I doubt it!

It's a selling point AND with more younger people getting in to the Lexus brand (and Lexus wanting to get more younger customers), HP numbers are going to be more important...

Quick Reply: GS Owner's comments on a 2002 BMW X5 4.4