GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Why Doesn't Lexus Want to Sell the GS430 Any More?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-02, 08:06 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why Doesn't Lexus Want to Sell the GS430 Any More?

I posted a thread about a week ago asking if what my local dealer had told me about the GS430 being a special-order car only was true. Several of you told me that it is rare, but not special order only and that my local dealer is probably just too small to get much of an allocation.

Today was a beautiful day, so my wife and I decided to drive up to San Jose (a huge market for expensive cars), knowing that the two dealers there would have a much bigger selection. We were hoping to get an in-person look at the cinnabar and black cherry colors, plus whatever else they had. We wanted to take a test drive as well.

Neither dealer had any GS430's on the lot! (Well, one of them had two, but they were both sold already.) I also found out that Lexus is now only making the GS430 in black, white, silver, or gold. No other colors will be available for 2002. This was independently told to us by the two dealers. They also said that you can ONLY get it with the ML/Nav, rear spoiler, and chrome wheels/upgraded tires. There is no choice, as the factory is only producing a tiny number of GS430's, all exactly the same.

Even as I sit here writing this, I can't believe that it's true! Can anyone give me another independent confirmation? I understand the need to curtail production of slow-selling cars, but why would their brochure and website both show a list of colors and options that aren't available?

ARGH!! We decided that we wanted the Lexus, and now we probably won't get it because they want to force us into a color we don't want and are going to make us pay twice for upgraded wheels and tires (the package from the factory plus the L-Tuned kit I want...). Sorry if I sound frustrated, but I am!
Old 03-31-02, 09:04 PM
Mitch H
Driver School Candidate

Unfortunately, the news about the GS430 that you were told is essentially correct. I had the same info told to me at Lexus of Serramonte when I purchased my silver, loaded GS 430 in January, the only difference being that gold was not included in my list of potential color choices ;-)

Interestingly, the reason given for the curtailed option and color choices was that Lexus had dramatically cut back car production in Japan after 9/11, figuring that there would be drastically reduced US demand for luxury autos. Clearly, Lexus guessed wrong, and given the limited allocation of 430s, dealerships (at least in Nor Cal) decided to stick with only the most popular colors, fully-loaded.

I have no idea if this issue affected other cars in the Lexus lineup.

Regards,
Mitch
Old 03-31-02, 11:14 PM
dnguyen_GS430
Driver

Iceman,

Maybe you want to try Magnussen in Fremont. I was at their dealer a few days ago and they had 2 430s. I could not recall which color. Good Luck.
Old 04-01-02, 02:19 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Did the dealer refuse to accept a special order? I'd think, regardless of "policy", that you could still special order from factory, and in 2.5 months, have precisely the car you want. You might even be able to order L-Tuned on factory special order. (Don't quote me on that one. I haven't seen any posts saying that it's been done, nor have I talked to my dealer about it. Just seems like it ought to be possible.)

2 things to consider, one good and one possibly not: 1) the next model year will be out around the time your car shows up, which might confound the special order process somewhat and 2) there always seem to be a few folks who want factory 17s after having been less-than-thrilled with their 16s, so you should be able to sell yours.

Good luck!
Old 04-01-02, 04:05 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

The worst thing about this is all, is turning off potential customer's like yourself and having them go to another brand and really never come back. If this continues to happen, I have a feeling that BMW 540 will benefit greatly, even with the new 5 series coming out towards the end of this year.

Lexus is not promoting their sporty side effectively, maybe they truly don't want to push the performance angle to the consumer.
Old 04-01-02, 08:04 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

I was told in no uncertain terms that you cannot special order a GS430 in anything other than black, white, silver, or gold and that you could not special order anything other than fully loaded.

Magnussen was the dealer that had two (a white and a gold) that were sold awaiting pickup.

I won't be driven to the 5-series (that's a whole another story), but we are considering both Acura and Mercedes.
Old 04-01-02, 04:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,515 Likes on 1,654 Posts
Wink have it your way...

Everyone knows that black, silver, gold and white are by FAR the most popular colors of the GS. Also, I expect almost all 430 buyers to date get ML/Nav. Heck, why WOULDN'T you get the best factory stereo and nav system made if you're already shelling out $50K for a car? The target demographic for this car (sorry 20 somethings here who own one) have ZERO interest in aftermarket stereos and probably modifications of any kind.

I'm still surprised you can't order one in any of the advertised colors though because that seems like false advertising.

Iceman - why don't you call 1800-25-Lexus and ask?
Old 04-01-02, 05:04 PM
TexastyleGS4

I sell Lexus. The silver, black, gold, white thing is true, however, they produced about 22 total 2002 GS' spread out among these colors. NO more, once they're gone, and they are, they are gone.
Lexus is a business mastermind. When a vehicle's demand falls, Lexus slows and sometimes stops production. This "shortage" can create demand and will continue until demand improves.
It's all just economics. Look at the American big 3. Hundreds of each model on every dealers' lot, and people wonder why they have no resale value? Open your economics book. Our vehicles have the highest resale value on the market. Lexus took all this into consideration. Where is Lexus headed? Well, we're already on top, so the sky's the limit, up, up, and away. Lexus is here to stay, they are doing everything right, they are only for a select few, and are just starting to jam. Just wait and see the 03 and 04 product line-up. Hey--I don't even know what it will be, but I've been told what to expect.
Old 04-01-02, 06:51 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Lexus highest resale value

Originally posted by TexastyleGS4
Our vehicles have the highest resale value on the market. Lexus took all this into consideration. Where is Lexus headed? Well, we're already on top, so the sky's the limit, up, up, and away.
Yeah I was talking about that the other day, that Lexus particularly the GS has the highest resale value of almost any car on the market. For example a 98' GS400 will sell for more than a 98' E-430. They have such good resale value not only because they are great cars but because they are #1 in reliability (according to J.D Power and Associates, Consumer Report and Lexus owners, including myself).
Old 04-01-02, 08:40 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Default Re: have it your way...

Originally posted by bitkahuna
Everyone knows that black, silver, gold and white are by FAR the most popular colors of the GS. Also, I expect almost all 430 buyers to date get ML/Nav. Heck, why WOULDN'T you get the best factory stereo and nav system made if you're already shelling out $50K for a car? The target demographic for this car (sorry 20 somethings here who own one) have ZERO interest in aftermarket stereos and probably modifications of any kind.

I'm still surprised you can't order one in any of the advertised colors though because that seems like false advertising.

Iceman - why don't you call 1800-25-Lexus and ask?
I definitely DO want the nav and ML! It's the upgraded wheel and tire package I don't want, because I plan to get the 18" L-tuned kit.

I did call Lexus and they confirmed the color limitations. I found out that Lexus splits the U.S. into "west", "central", and "east" regions. Central and east get tiny allocations of black cherry pearl and mystic sea opalescent, but cinnabar is no longer being made at all. I'm going to call my salesman tomorrow and see what he can do about getting one of those black cherry 430's...
Old 04-01-02, 10:39 PM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

Hey TEXAS, let me get this straight, or if anyone else can answer this please do, But are u saying that there was only 22 fully loaded 2002 GS430's being built this year for the US?? could someone please explain, thanks

ShOwGS
Old 04-02-02, 03:58 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by ShowGSLuVv
Hey TEXAS, let me get this straight, or if anyone else can answer this please do, But are u saying that there was only 22 fully loaded 2002 GS430's being built this year for the US?? could someone please explain, thanks

ShOwGS
If that number of 22 built this year is actually true, heck that is VERY VERY limited edition! Lexus should stick some of those LIMITED EDITION badges on your 2002 GS430. To heck with the coach, platinum or sportline edition for the GS300, you have the LIMITED EDITION!

On the flip side it's kind of nice to have a car that not everyone has and is tough to get. But it's still ridiculous how Lexus simply doesn't want to promote the GS at this time.
Old 04-02-02, 08:09 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,515 Likes on 1,654 Posts
Default Re: Re: have it your way...

Originally posted by Iceman
I definitely DO want the nav and ML! It's the upgraded wheel and tire package I don't want, because I plan to get the 18" L-tuned kit.
For ~$200 who cares, and you can make that up and more by selling the rims/tires.
Old 04-02-02, 08:13 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

I think you forgot a zero there. You're right--for $200 I wouldn't care but the sticker price on the "upgraded tire package with chrome wheels" is $1915. I'm not a penny-pincher, but I don't like throwing away two grand because the manufacturer doesn't want to be flexible enough to handle customer desires.