GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2nd gen GS owners... what do you think about...?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-09, 05:28 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rcracer_tx
Exactly... I had an SC400 that had absolutely no problems with it whatsoever, and have had friends that have had problems with the GS... It all depends on how the car is taken care of. MDSC, it sounds like your SC was treated like **** whereas your girlfriends GS was taken care of...
And on value holding, what are you talking about? you are comparing most SC's that are 8+ years older in terms of vale to the GS? A 35k mile SC is worth in the 20's, and the GS is less. My insurance payed out 25k for my SC when it got totaled. You need to compare apple to apples.... If anything you will lose less money by buying an SC as older ones can be had for cheap.

All this being said, I think my next project is a GTE GS300 because 4 doors is more practical for an only car at this point.
my SC was treated very well thank you very much after all it is a 16 year old car and not a 99 like yours. You have no idea what happens to them after 12 years, the problems are described are very commen and happen to everyone go on read up then come back and talk to me. Interior is made like crap door panels crack and window surrounds crack, ac vent cracks. NOw do me a favor and price those pices out and let me know what you find i think the dealr wants $600 for door panel a piece and $300+ for just the window surround each. Just to give you an idea. Go ahead and buy it used spend 1/2 of the price and same thing will happen again. I love my SC its very reliable and very well made car but if you going to compare an SC to GS of any year, gs is a better put toghether car hands down. Is it a better car? who knows its a matter of opinion but quality yes defenatly.
Old 06-25-09, 10:31 AM
rcracer_tx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MDSC
my SC was treated very well thank you very much after all it is a 16 year old car and not a 99 like yours. You have no idea what happens to them after 12 years, the problems are described are very commen and happen to everyone go on read up then come back and talk to me. Interior is made like crap door panels crack and window surrounds crack, ac vent cracks. NOw do me a favor and price those pices out and let me know what you find i think the dealr wants $600 for door panel a piece and $300+ for just the window surround each. Just to give you an idea. Go ahead and buy it used spend 1/2 of the price and same thing will happen again. I love my SC its very reliable and very well made car but if you going to compare an SC to GS of any year, gs is a better put toghether car hands down. Is it a better car? who knows its a matter of opinion but quality yes defenatly.
Once again, the year makes all the difference as many of the the flaws were fixed in the later years... You need to compare a 99'sc to a 99'gs. You should have hit aliga up and saved a ton of money over new.
Old 06-25-09, 11:36 AM
Baliztik
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcracer_tx
Once again, the year makes all the difference as many of the the flaws were fixed in the later years... You need to compare a 99'sc to a 99'gs. You should have hit aliga up and saved a ton of money over new.
You can't really compare those years... because the SC had new revisions already.

I guess what I'm trying to say is there's no real fair way to compare them.
Old 06-25-09, 12:14 PM
Mr.412
Lead Lap

my SC has all the issues listed above, MPH needle burned out, cracked vents, cracked doors, bleeding heat/ac control and that's how I got it, so as far build quality GS without dought

I'm keeping the SC for as long as I love driving it, but the GS was all ways the lexus I had my eye on... I just don't get the level of hate/disrespect when in the other forum by them boys so that's why I brought this up

they treat the SC like it's a god among men...LOL
Old 06-25-09, 12:21 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

opinions are like *******.
everyone has one.
Old 06-25-09, 12:32 PM
Mr.412
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
opinions are like *******.
everyone has one.
Very original
Old 06-25-09, 12:50 PM
denut-L
Lexus Test Driver

I think a person who truly love cars can appreciate the time and effort someone put into a car and not bash on it. Usually those that do are posers or jealous!
Old 06-25-09, 01:12 PM
Mr.412
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by denut-L
I think a person who truly love cars can appreciate the time and effort someone put into a car and not bash on it. Usually those that do are posers or jealous!
well spoken, I agree
Old 06-25-09, 01:20 PM
black_gs99
Lead Lap

i dont even know how you could compare the 2? if i was gonna compare an SC to a GS it would have to be between the SC430 and GS430.
Old 06-25-09, 10:00 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hate both
Old 06-25-09, 11:08 PM
vinh
Lexus Champion

You posted this thread in the 2nd gen GS forum. Seriously, what kind of responses do you expect to be getting. If it was simply to justify your reasoning in your car purchase, then i understand. These vehicles are totally different. As far as people talking down on other cars, it's just a self loathing thing. No matter what car i drove i'd still think it was the coolest one EVAR!!!

They are a totally different class of vehicle, that's why they get judged in different classes at HIN and is also why they are on different ends of the sales lot at the dealership.
Old 06-26-09, 08:42 AM
jefthim
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

I own both and I admit there are things that I like about both cars individually. I think the SC captures more of a refined old school 2 DR coupe V8 feel that has been left vacant by the likes of GM and Ford. I also think the exhaust on the SC400 sounds nicer but is not overpowering for luxury feeling. The GS on the other hand is truly more quite and a more refined car in my opinion at the same time providing more horsepower (stock SC400 to stock GS400). It think both cars are extremely nice and anybody that has a chance to own either car should consider themselves fortunate to be able to own a masterfully engineered car.
Old 07-22-09, 07:05 AM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Baliztik
But I love VIP GS's... so I am biased. Take for example carbongs or veritek... they aren't modded to my aesthetic tastes... but damn those are nice cars, and any SC owner would have to be straight stupid for not respecting them.

I may be biased... because I can't notice subtle upgrades on the SC... but acknowledging this... I don't look down on their cars... just don't appreciate them as much as I do my GS
Thanks for the kind words. I am on the same side here. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but if you are inquiring others' ideas then that is what you will get. You can't please everyone.
Old 07-26-09, 02:15 PM
jt racing
Driver School Candidate

must admit the more i drive the gs just keep finding hidden depths, if you know what i mean. You can chug along at a awfully naughty speed in comfort and wtih discretion, or just waft along and relax. You get knowing nods, and petrol station respect without the snobbery or aggro that you can get with other cars.
my 2 cents anyway!