GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2nd gen GS owners... what do you think about...?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-09, 12:57 PM
Mr.412
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2nd gen GS owners... what do you think about...?

what do you guys think about people talking down about the 2nd gen GS?
I also have a 1st gen SC and it's a nice ride just like my GS is, but them SC boys be talking DOWN about the GS... what's up wit that?

I’d say it’s the whole tuner aspect associated with the SC

and for the record I think the GS is better of the 2, feels better and looks better w/ mods
Old 06-24-09, 01:10 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've driven both and 1gs is alot better made car then my SC, lets not even get into 2gs those blow SCs out of water as far as build quality goes. I was actually pretty dissapointed how everything inside of SC falls apart. My g/f had a 1gs 250k miles and my SC has 215, her interior was perfect beside leather wear and tear. Lets not get into the Scs problems with interiors, Door panels crack$$$$, window surround cracks$$$$$, ac vents crack $$$$$, climate control screen bleeds$$.....only thing that goes bad on 1gs is the needles on cluster burn out but gess what SC has same problem.
Old 06-24-09, 01:37 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

2GS is 4 seaters, looks good, holds value better... what more do you want? I can pick up an SC anytime but I'm looking for another 2GS.
Old 06-24-09, 01:44 PM
Tim
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had both. Went from SC400 to Gs430 and the GS is much better built. From what i experienced in the SC forum was the age group was allot younger since any teenager today can afford a SC compared to 2GS. I notice around town also that teenagers are mostly driving SC around with hat sideways and with gotty upgrades. Everytime i pass a SC, or at a stop light the owner will always stair at the GS, maybe it's just jealousy due to price difference.
Old 06-24-09, 01:59 PM
ceelo
Pole Position

Opinions are like an *******, everyone's got one. . As long as you enjoy the car you own then nothing else should matter especially what someone else has to say.
Old 06-24-09, 03:26 PM
rcracer_tx
Driver

Originally Posted by ceelo
Opinions are like an *******, everyone's got one. . As long as you enjoy the car you own then nothing else should matter especially what someone else has to say.
Exactly... I had an SC400 that had absolutely no problems with it whatsoever, and have had friends that have had problems with the GS... It all depends on how the car is taken care of. MDSC, it sounds like your SC was treated like **** whereas your girlfriends GS was taken care of...

And on value holding, what are you talking about? you are comparing most SC's that are 8+ years older in terms of vale to the GS? A 35k mile SC is worth in the 20's, and the GS is less. My insurance payed out 25k for my SC when it got totaled. You need to compare apple to apples.... If anything you will lose less money by buying an SC as older ones can be had for cheap.

All this being said, I think my next project is a GTE GS300 because 4 doors is more practical for an only car at this point.
Old 06-24-09, 03:31 PM
jspecdan
Lexus Test Driver

SC's are nice but i didn't care enough about them to buy one.

also, the owners objectives are totally different. i didn't want to get a luxury sports coupe...i wanted a luxury car to haul passengers with class and comfort.
Old 06-24-09, 03:36 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Who cares really. People who bought and still own an SC will obviously like their car more. Same for the GS. I owned an SC400 and was very disappointed with it. Wasn't what I expected from a so called Sports Coupe. Obviously, I didn't spend a ton of money on aftermarket parts and I had an SC400 so I didn't to ant turbo swaps or 2JZ GTE swaps, but the car felt heavy, slow, and underpowered for me. I now have a GS430 and although I am a a coupe fan (Had 2 door coupes for most of my cars) I like the GS430 much better. But, everyone has their own opinion.
Old 06-24-09, 04:20 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

i like my 2gs more than my 1sc... its faster. quiet, comfy, and luxurious.

then again my SC got 25mpg.. haha
Old 06-24-09, 06:23 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ceelo

yup, i have had a sc400, a es300 and i prefer my gs430 to all of them....until i get my ls460 that is
Old 06-24-09, 06:25 PM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

who cares if they are talking down on it. people always look down on another car- like the dodge neon.
theres always haters around.
Old 06-24-09, 08:14 PM
Mr.412
Lead Lap

I just find it funny how much hate there is from that crowd but then again I get much hate period for wheels choice on both my rides, I think all of you make a good point though... and at least we all made the chioce to ride lexus
Old 06-24-09, 08:49 PM
Baliztik
Lexus Test Driver

2GS's are more widely owned by an older generation. I didn't know about the aftermarket scene until I bought one. But the thing is... that only 2nd Gen GS owners can appreciate the stock car. Unless the car is done, and unless outsider is looking at the car, they won't appreciate the difference between stock headlights and q45 retros, nor a jp grille. Sure it will look nicer, but unless a car is done up like Ay-Nako's, or Mr.Executiv, my personal favs... or Mr Kenji... or some of those blue lex's then an outsider will see a very stock car, and not appreciate it as some of their parents might drive it. Take for example the E320 from mercedes... my mother has an 01. It's a nice car but if I had an SC... I would talk down on it because hey... it's a car for old people... and it's not like a beemer where it's sporty... so I wouldn't respect it. In terms of respect and taste my ranking goes:
(The previous gens) Looks only
Personal (judgment on stock)
IS
GS
SC
LS
ES

Luxury (judgement on stock)
LS
GS
IS
SC
ES

VIP (potential)
GS
LS
SC - autocoture is bank...
IS and ES tied

Sporty/Performance (potential)
IS
SC
GS
LS
ES

Yeah I don't have much love for the ES. But before I became a GS owner... the GS was behind the IS and SC... but I also owned an IS before a GS... so I dunno.

But I love VIP GS's... so I am biased. Take for example carbongs or veritek... they aren't modded to my aesthetic tastes... but damn those are nice cars, and any SC owner would have to be straight stupid for not respecting them.

I may be biased... because I can't notice subtle upgrades on the SC... but acknowledging this... I don't look down on their cars... just don't appreciate them as much as I do my GS

Last edited by Baliztik; 06-24-09 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-24-09, 08:58 PM
mustafakha
Driver

2GS is definitely better than the SC!

Last edited by mustafakha; 06-24-09 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake ;)
Old 06-24-09, 10:43 PM
Chumacher
Lead Lap

the 1st gen SC looks like old 90's styling that had too many curves and not enough hard edged, straight lines. the 2nd gen GS has the perfect blend of both and thats what makes it age very well. A lot of new cars still copy its design.

Quick Reply: 2nd gen GS owners... what do you think about...?