GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I've always wondered....

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-09 | 04:47 PM
rcracer_tx
Driver

Default I've always wondered....

Why do people doing a "VIP" style car almost always have have wheels that stick out like a 4x4. It looks like you were too cheap to buy wheels that fit.

I like the body kiys and lowered look, but the wheels are usually crappy fitting atrocious designed wheels. The idea of performance almost never comes up either as their only seems to be a handful of fast GS's. Just trying to understand the attraction to what seems to me like blinged out rice.
Old 06-24-09 | 04:54 PM
chrispy

If the wheels are sticking out, they are doing it wrong. VIP style calls for flush fitment. Some might wonder why you would want to to track your four door family car. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 06-24-09 | 05:16 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

super poke is plain ghetto.
Old 06-24-09 | 05:25 PM
rcracer_tx
Driver

Originally Posted by chrispy
If the wheels are sticking out, they are doing it wrong. VIP style calls for flush fitment. Some might wonder why you would want to to track your four door family car. Different strokes for different folks.
Yeah, Putting ridiculous camber to make it fit looks really weird to me as well... I can respect peoples taste, just wondering why.

Is performance just not important, or something that is done later usually? I'm sorry if I sound kind of newbish, I am considering a 2jzgte swap in a gs300 and am trying to educate myself in different styles of cars in the community.
Old 06-24-09 | 06:22 PM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

a four door luxury car, why do you want it to go fast? Its meant to carry your family/friends.
vip style is all about STYLE. flush wheels or tuckin' rim, low stance, and camber is whats VIP style about
Old 06-24-09 | 06:29 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

take a look in other forums to gain an understanding on what VIP is and isnt.
Old 06-24-09 | 06:41 PM
chrispy

Originally Posted by rcracer_tx
Yeah, Putting ridiculous camber to make it fit looks really weird to me as well... I can respect peoples taste, just wondering why.

Is performance just not important, or something that is done later usually? I'm sorry if I sound kind of newbish, I am considering a 2jzgte swap in a gs300 and am trying to educate myself in different styles of cars in the community.
Ridiculous camber isn't my tastes either. People don't seem to understand that when you lower a car, you will get negative camber. This helps with fitting aggressive wheels. The whole point is to get your wheels as flush as possible with the fenders while having the car very low. It's just a look.

VIP cars are usually not meant for performance. There are few VIP cars that have performance/engine modifications but most of them are all style. Stretched tires, low ride height, camber doesn't mix well with high horsepower so one is usually chosen over the other.

Hope that clarifies a few things.
Old 06-24-09 | 06:51 PM
rcracer_tx
Driver

Originally Posted by 5t341th
a four door luxury car, why do you want it to go fast? Its meant to carry your family/friends.
vip style is all about STYLE. flush wheels or tuckin' rim, low stance, and camber is whats VIP style about
Thanks, so VIP is like modern day lowrider? I like the body kit and lower stance, but the wheels would have to be designed for max amount of tire while fitting correctly on the car (non-excessive negative camber that kills tire wear and performance)

I think cars like the one in the go-fast VIP thread, but it kinda seems pointless to spend a lot of money on a car without making it perform better. I guess performance just isn't important to some people....
Old 06-24-09 | 07:01 PM
rcracer_tx
Driver

Originally Posted by Emerald
take a look in other forums to gain an understanding on what VIP is and isnt.
Nice to see your still active on the board... I remember your cars from back when I had my SC.

Originally Posted by chrispy
Ridiculous camber isn't my tastes either. People don't seem to understand that when you lower a car, you will get negative camber. This helps with fitting aggressive wheels. The whole point is to get your wheels as flush as possible with the fenders while having the car very low. It's just a look.

VIP cars are usually not meant for performance. There are few VIP cars that have performance/engine modifications but most of them are all style. Stretched tires, low ride height, camber doesn't mix well with high horsepower so one is usually chosen over the other.

Hope that clarifies a few things.
Yeah, I worked at a shop that was big into rx7's, and figuring out the right amount of camber is a big part of wheel selection. You can change camber several ways such as RCA's, Camber plates, Figs Mega Arms, etc.

Yep, I guess it's a choice that needs to be made of wheels with tires that don't fit, really low offsets not meant for the car, and ridiculous camber or a setup designed to outperform stock and performance wheel/tire combos meant to increase surface patch on the tires that connect to the road. I guess it's all personal taste and what your goals are with the car...

Last edited by rcracer_tx; 06-24-09 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-25-09 | 08:36 AM
mrkenji
Lexus Champion

yah VIP is a style of modification. similar to how DUB-style or DONK-style is just a style of modification and all of these styles are primarily built towards the look of the car instead of the performance of the vehicle. i understand what you saying as far as why spend money on a vehicle if the performance isnt going to get better, and its all in someones taste. Plus when your riding VIP it feels better just to cruise along than to be speeding around everywhere IMHO.

for performance modification of a vehicle i probably wouldnt choose a GS anyways due to it being the heavy four door sedan. that is why a lot of people have seperate projects that they use for building performance so they can have their speed/toy car and their clean/lux GS.

hope some of the info on here kinda clarifies your questions
Old 06-25-09 | 10:09 AM
rcracer_tx
Driver

Originally Posted by mrkenji
yah VIP is a style of modification. similar to how DUB-style or DONK-style is just a style of modification and all of these styles are primarily built towards the look of the car instead of the performance of the vehicle. i understand what you saying as far as why spend money on a vehicle if the performance isnt going to get better, and its all in someones taste. Plus when your riding VIP it feels better just to cruise along than to be speeding around everywhere IMHO.

for performance modification of a vehicle i probably wouldnt choose a GS anyways due to it being the heavy four door sedan. that is why a lot of people have seperate projects that they use for building performance so they can have their speed/toy car and their clean/lux GS.

hope some of the info on here kinda clarifies your questions

Thanks, that clarifies alot of my questions
Old 06-25-09 | 10:12 AM
rcracer_tx
Driver

Oh, one last question... I see most cars have an exhaust system. Is it usually a really quiet exhuast?
Old 06-25-09 | 12:28 PM
mrkenji
Lexus Champion

i purchased the tanabe Super Hyper Medallion because when you get on it it has a nice throaty deep sound but during idle it is fairly quiet, whereas there are quite a few other exhausts that are quite a bit louder, but that also may be because i have a gs3 as opposed to a gs4
Old 06-25-09 | 01:14 PM
Baliztik
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 25,000

It depends on taste... nothing cheesy about Leon Hardiritt Ordens. VIP is all about stance and fitment... so if it looks bad they must not be doing it right.
Old 06-25-09 | 09:18 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

most the vipcars already have very powerful engines in japan, so tuning for speed and power isn't a main goal in this style. You will however, seem some really fast vipcars once in a while.

Quick Reply: I've always wondered....