GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

To any/all RE AUDIO XXX owners......

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-10, 08:41 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by excluesive
yeah i didn't want to post my thread until it was ALMOST completed. now that it's less than a week away, i opened it up for random build shots
yeah mines more like im busy (HVAC peak season) and i work a 2nd job and by the time i get home im to exhausted to work on a new thread. i pick up the LAST piece tonight and then im ready to post.

im already starting to wish i had designed mine like yours with no spare tire inside....

yours is looking good so far
Old 06-25-10, 02:03 PM
robertoyou
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=sakataj;5584510]its done....or 99% done. im wrapping up one more thing then im gonna post. sorry guys i been swamped. hvac season is in full effect....

i been talking to dom about installing it...i think he's gonna do it for me.trunk is ready, will release it soon. how is your build coming?

damn i hope he comes through... have you spoken to him anymore about it?
hurry up man, i wana see that trunk! post a couple of more pics at least.

aah i havnt dont any work on my build anymore!
i ordered some more dynamat and foam from second skin so i can deaden my rear deck, that rear deck rattles like a *****!!!!!! good thing you deadned it. .

im still hoping to take out the box and put some plexi on it, but i havnt had time. plus i still need to look for a place i can get some plexii glass and see how much it costs.
Old 06-28-10, 10:39 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by robertoyou
damn i hope he comes through... have you spoken to him anymore about it?
hurry up man, i wana see that trunk! post a couple of more pics at least.

aah i havnt dont any work on my build anymore!
i ordered some more dynamat and foam from second skin so i can deaden my rear deck, that rear deck rattles like a *****!!!!!! good thing you deadned it. .

im still hoping to take out the box and put some plexi on it, but i havnt had time. plus i still need to look for a place i can get some plexii glass and see how much it costs.
i will try and get pics up this week....i hope he comes through also....i havent talked to him in a week but i emailed him again fri. yeah i even took the trunk off to completely deaden it

plexi is expensive but im telling you, its worth it. i gotta get a ground isolater and a roll of LEDS and im done...im finishing up the ashtray piece this week
Old 06-28-10, 12:25 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

ok, i got off the phone with dom....tentatively i have this set for july 9th but due to work issues it may not be so....
Old 06-29-10, 10:21 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Default Well finally its done,

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post5603438
Old 07-15-10, 02:02 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

well, i guess it isnt as done as i thought

well, ive done it for sure....i have blown my re audio sub already,i burnt the voice coils lol....about the warranty,they saying that voice coil is abuse which isnt covered by the warranty and it will be 126.25 for the out of warranty repair and i have to pay shipping both ways. the big issue isnt that, its i can put it back in new and i will still blow it up, so now im looking for a sub that can handle bout the wattage im throwing at it but i need some suggestions, guys so help me out here

so far i have looked at the memphis mojo (but it wont handle what i need), the orion hcca122 (Claims a peak of 4k) BUT they are on backorder till october

anyone have any suggestions?
Old 07-15-10, 02:37 PM
robertoyou
Advanced

Originally Posted by sakataj
well, i guess it isnt as done as i thought

well, ive done it for sure....i have blown my re audio sub already,i burnt the voice coils lol....about the warranty,they saying that voice coil is abuse which isnt covered by the warranty and it will be 126.25 for the out of warranty repair and i have to pay shipping both ways. the big issue isnt that, its i can put it back in new and i will still blow it up, so now im looking for a sub that can handle bout the wattage im throwing at it but i need some suggestions, guys so help me out here

so far i have looked at the memphis mojo (but it wont handle what i need), the orion hcca122 (Claims a peak of 4k) BUT they are on backorder till october

anyone have any suggestions?
wow. how did you blow this man?
i have two se's and i havent blown those. not that ive actually tried, but ive got 1200 (probably less since im on stock electrical), but even so.. the se's are WAY down from the xxx and i havnt blown those. wth, what kind of wattage are you feeding the xxx? i had my mx, which is near the xxx and i never blew that thing either. xxx are supposed to be hard as hell to blow.
i cant turn up my ses past a certain volume with out feeling like my gs is going to fall apart, from so much vibration (maybe im just too too paranoid about that though)
Old 07-15-10, 04:03 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

I'll go on record and say the woofer was blow by an improperly ported box for the power being used... and I'd stay away from the Mojo 4k, its a major power hog even though you've got the alternator and extra storage, just not worth the strain... I'll just keep stating the obvious and say its not your equipment... (i'm not the only one) People have hooked up those woofers to wall sockets and took a long time to burn that voice coil. The statement you made a while back that its not loud enough is proof that theres something wrong Have you heard the term "stacking boost" thats whats going on in your trunk with all that power. Too much force and no where for it to go. Theres a reason why people make 10 cu. ft boxes for a single 12...

You may get a woofer to handle the power, but more than likely its gonna sound the same, but just take the heat. get a DC Level 5 and see what happens.
Old 07-15-10, 04:06 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Here you go, people have a hard time moving these things, so good luck. They can handle 20,000 bursts 2k rms 4k max I'd be surprised to see you move that motor structure:

http://www.dcsoundlab.com/specs.html
Old 07-15-10, 05:15 PM
robertoyou
Advanced

[QUOTE=Mr Jokster;5643567]I'll go on record and say the woofer was blow by an improperly ported box for the power

Last edited by robertoyou; 07-15-10 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-15-10, 05:32 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

I believe the box is to spec. Tuning frequencies IIRC wouldnt heat a coil though, tuning frequencies is just for the optimum hit, the sign wave still shows that it will respond to other frequencies. Now if it were an old school band pass with a peak at 30 and a -30 db drop off on both sides lol, then yea its gonna bake at other frequencies. but then again, I suppose even though the ported box was tuned wrong and with a lot of power... things could still happen. My friends shop hooked up 4 audison 2k amps to 2 of these 12xxx's and was wonderful stunk like a mother effer, but thats only because the glue was heating up and taking it. Now thats a lot of power, but nothing ever happened to the speakers. Box was HUGE too
Old 07-15-10, 07:14 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by excluesive
yeah i'm just running 1 12" type r with a little PDX 1.600 amp... oh well... i will be the happiest camper of all.
there's a little box for sale, imma post it up on deals section. got info from diy

sale 24 bux

Last edited by sam430; 07-15-10 at 11:27 PM.
Old 07-16-10, 09:33 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by robertoyou
wow. how did you blow this man?
i have two se's and i havent blown those. not that ive actually tried, but ive got 1200 (probably less since im on stock electrical), but even so.. the se's are WAY down from the xxx and i havnt blown those. wth, what kind of wattage are you feeding the xxx? i had my mx, which is near the xxx and i never blew that thing either. xxx are supposed to be hard as hell to blow.
i cant turn up my ses past a certain volume with out feeling like my gs is going to fall apart, from so much vibration (maybe im just too too paranoid about that though)
i dunno man....i honestly dont, i am starting to wonder though if when i got it (off ebay) it wasnt blown....thank god for squaretrade though. they gonna warranty it for me so im not out everything just some...

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
I'll go on record and say the woofer was blow by an improperly ported box for the power being used... and I'd stay away from the Mojo 4k, its a major power hog even though you've got the alternator and extra storage, just not worth the strain... I'll just keep stating the obvious and say its not your equipment... (i'm not the only one) People have hooked up those woofers to wall sockets and took a long time to burn that voice coil. The statement you made a while back that its not loud enough is proof that theres something wrong Have you heard the term "stacking boost" thats whats going on in your trunk with all that power. Too much force and no where for it to go. Theres a reason why people make 10 cu. ft boxes for a single 12...

You may get a woofer to handle the power, but more than likely its gonna sound the same, but just take the heat. get a DC Level 5 and see what happens.
well, according to them they build the box per re audios specs...nope never heard the term stacking boost. you forget my background wasnt audio builds,although i have had them before, its not my expertise so being first hand in this one is all new to me. i wish i had a place i could take it to an get a second opinion but honestly this is the best shop in town.....or so i thought. i dunno so are you saying its better to get a sealed box next time for the next sub or get another ported one and have them rebuild another box or modify this one to the specs of the next sub?

Here you go, people have a hard time moving these things, so good luck. They can handle 20,000 bursts 2k rms 4k max I'd be surprised to see you move that motor structure:

http://www.dcsoundlab.com/specs.html
noone i have EVER talked to knows anything bout this company....i would hate to pay that kinda $ for a sub that (unless i read wrong) isnt rebuildable. this was a major selling factor in the re audio xxx and the orion hcca im currently looking at. im not set in stone on it just saying its at the top of my list

[QUOTE=robertoyou;5643752]
I'll go on record and say the woofer was blow by an improperly ported box for the power
since you edited this post after joker answered below, i have NO idea what you said

I believe the box is to spec. Tuning frequencies IIRC wouldnt heat a coil though, tuning frequencies is just for the optimum hit, the sign wave still shows that it will respond to other frequencies. Now if it were an old school band pass with a peak at 30 and a -30 db drop off on both sides lol, then yea its gonna bake at other frequencies. but then again, I suppose even though the ported box was tuned wrong and with a lot of power... things could still happen. My friends shop hooked up 4 audison 2k amps to 2 of these 12xxx's and was wonderful stunk like a mother effer, but thats only because the glue was heating up and taking it. Now thats a lot of power, but nothing ever happened to the speakers. Box was HUGE too
yeah it stunk but after break in, it should go away mines constantly there like 10 mins after playing it and now its like 2 mins after playing it.

Originally Posted by sam430
there's a little box for sale, imma post it up on deals section. got info from diy

sale 24 bux
???? what sam?
Old 07-16-10, 12:01 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sakataj

well, according to them they build the box per re audios specs...nope never heard the term stacking boost. you forget my background wasnt audio builds,although i have had them before, its not my expertise so being first hand in this one is all new to me. i wish i had a place i could take it to an get a second opinion but honestly this is the best shop in town.....or so i thought. i dunno so are you saying its better to get a sealed box next time for the next sub or get another ported one and have them rebuild another box or modify this one to the specs of the next sub?

noone i have EVER talked to knows anything bout this company....i would hate to pay that kinda $ for a sub that (unless i read wrong) isnt rebuildable. this was a major selling factor in the re audio xxx and the orion hcca im currently looking at. im not set in stone on it just saying its at the top of my list

Stacking boost is a term for boosting an engine. (used it as an example) Basically having more force of air coming from the woofer than the box can exhaust.

as for DC, well of course no one knows of them. Most of the good stuff out there isnt known. IMO, if a noob knows and heard of the brand, then its probably not any good! I dont believe in main stream mass production equipment... and I believe thats what happened to RE when they sold out.

DC Audio is a good brand, and you're hearing it from someone you know, ME probably blow RE out of its nuts My buddy is running 1 12 of the DC Level 4 with Level 5 coil (a good combo) and is belting out a 144+ db, holds the record here in Cali. only running I think 3k of REAL power, no power adders (i.e. batteries, alternators) just 1 amp 1 woofer. But hey, if you want to go with the old school Orion, thats your prerogative but theres a reason Orion has been out of the circuit for so long...

I believe you're part of some audio forums, you need to ask them about the DC. Actually, you need to join the big forums and get info from the big doggs like through term lab or Steve Mead forums good luck on what you decide.
Old 07-16-10, 12:19 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

as for DC, well of course no one knows of them. Most of the good stuff out there isnt known. IMO, if a noob knows and heard of the brand, then its probably not any good! I dont believe in main stream mass production equipment... and I believe thats what happened to RE when they sold out.

DC Audio is a good brand, and you're hearing it from someone you know, ME probably blow RE out of its nuts My buddy is running 1 12 of the DC Level 4 with Level 5 coil (a good combo) and is belting out a 144+ db, holds the record here in Cali. only running I think 3k of REAL power, no power adders (i.e. batteries, alternators) just 1 amp 1 woofer. But hey, if you want to go with the old school Orion, thats your prerogative but theres a reason Orion has been out of the circuit for so long...

I believe you're part of some audio forums, you need to ask them about the DC. Actually, you need to join the big forums and get info from the big doggs like through term lab or Steve Mead forums good luck on what you decide.
nah its not like that, i will be the first one to say your more knowledgeable bout audio than me....

got any info online, ie a link to your buddy and his build or info on his stereo? if he's got a record someplace online has some info on hit.

i will check into some suggestions on SMD btw....im so frustrated lately with this.

Quick Reply: To any/all RE AUDIO XXX owners......