GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

To any/all RE AUDIO XXX owners......

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-09, 02:22 PM
SHiZNiLTi
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol, Big Mack dropped hella names I still don't think your thoughts on the electrical system are correct though...

I see where your coming from on everything else you said. It's good to know another person knows caraudio here, didn't mean to offend you or anything, but I'm just talking from pure experience I had a few weeks ago with just setting up a 2krms system in my Lexus GS300's trunk...

When I was installing my system (2 RE SX 10's and a Hifonics 2krms amp) I tested the amp and subs before installing the extra battery... I had lots of dimming and wasn't impressed with the output, especialy on the long deep bass notes. I then did some tests after I installed the battery in the trunk and all dimming went away and the bass was much more powerfull on the long deep bass notes. It was a huge difference, very noticable to even the novice caraudio enthusiast.

The main reason for keeping a large 2600ca battery w/ high Ah rating 160 or higher in the trunk is mainly due to the fact that you can't fit these large 70lb-100lb types of batteries under the hood of our GS's. Having short 2foot power runs to the amp helps prevent loss.

Don't mind the ghettoness of it, havn't put any trim panels on or fiberglassed anything yet, but you can get an idea of the battery size...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-and-pics.html

Last edited by SHiZNiLTi; 06-29-09 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-29-09, 03:04 PM
SPL FREEK
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very good on the mat job!
Old 06-29-09, 03:40 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Talking

Originally Posted by SHiZNiLTi
lol, Big Mack dropped hella names I still don't think your thoughts on the electrical system are correct though...

I see where your coming from on everything else you said. It's good to know another person knows caraudio here, didn't mean to offend you or anything, but I'm just talking from pure experience I had a few weeks ago with just setting up a 2krms system in my Lexus GS300's trunk...
No worries. We're all going to disagree about things from time to time, but I'm not some poor schlub who just walked into a store and read a brochure and thinks he knows things.

When I was installing my system (2 RE SX 10's and a Hifonics 2krms amp) I tested the amp and subs before installing the extra battery... I had lots of dimming and wasn't impressed with the output, especialy on the long deep bass notes. I then did some tests after I installed the battery in the trunk and all dimming went away and the bass was much more powerfull on the long deep bass notes. It was a huge difference, very noticable to even the novice caraudio enthusiast.

The main reason for keeping a large 2600ca battery w/ high Ah rating 160 or higher in the trunk is mainly due to the fact that you can't fit these large 70lb-100lb types of batteries under the hood of our GS's. Having short 2foot power runs to the amp helps prevent loss.
Yep. I can see how it would make a difference being able to deliver tons of current immediately. My concern is when it becomes discharged. If it's not isolated, it will start to vampire off the stock (or whatever) battery under the hood, then both will be below charge level. Once that happens, dimming is back fa sho if the alternator cannot keep up. All this is if you're dropping bottom on a regular basis, though. If you're listening to "regular" music with wide variances/transients, it will be less likely and take more time for the Kinetik to discharge.

Don't mind the ghettoness of it, havn't put any trim panels on or fiberglassed anything yet, but you can get an idea of the battery size...
Yep. Reminds me of some of the old Stinger units. Crazy good batteries. You may want to protect those terminals at the very least, though. Imagine the arc weld that might get done if that positive comes into contact with metal...ouch!!!

Big Mack

Last edited by Big Mack; 06-29-09 at 09:27 PM.
Old 06-29-09, 03:47 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SPL FREEK
Dang it!! We did kind of veer from that, didn't we?

Yes, very good job on the Dynamatting!!

Big Mack
Old 06-29-09, 04:07 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

Big Mack is right about the battery will give an extra load on the alternator. Because the extra battery will get drained by the amps, with that said, the battery will go low. So, that is when the alternator kicks in. So instead of one battery, the alternator needs to charge up TWO batteries at the same time. Respectively.
Old 06-29-09, 04:14 PM
scooter58
Lexus Test Driver

holy cow..

that's a lot of dynamat!!
Old 06-29-09, 04:44 PM
GCOP
Driver

I suppose it depends on how the batteries are connected. To say the one battery will go dead, and then the other will follow would never be the case. An isolator will switch the two batteries back and forth, with the alternator charging one or the other. No matter how many 12 volt DC batteries you have in series, 2 or 200 it is still 12 volts, the alternator does not "see" one battery or the other, it just puts out current until the voltage regulator tells it to stop.

True, if your current demand was always more than the supply, you would get dimming, alternator damge and all those other bad things. From my point of view, and what I have done over the years, extra batteries have always been a good thing. The batteries have always stayed with the current demands. Now franted, IF I were to crank the crap outta of the audion system, putting in a constant state of maximum current draw, eventually the batteries would get low, and the alternator would need to catch up. If the car were sitting, not running, and turned up loud, the batteries would get sucked dry, alternator or not.

Of course while driving your getting some charge on the batteries, and so far, the volume of music, and the length of time I play it loud, has not out lasted my Stingers, and the stock alternator's ability to charge them.

Your points are well taken Mac and SHiZNiLTi. This is one of the best threads I have seen on CL.
Old 07-02-09, 03:46 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle Harty
I had an '04 XXX 18" in my old car, I was giving it about 1800 watts and I'm sure it could've taken more. I haven't followed the audio scene for a while but I'm sure the new ones can take at least as much as the old ones.
i figured as much...

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
How much did u spend on those dynamats?
only bout 250.....and im not done yet, im doing the front doors (i've done the back doors), inside the doors, the complete roof, and most of the interior if not all of it

Originally Posted by jhill20
i think you missed a spot over in the corner over there that's dedication to the mat. I love it
i know....i ran out

Originally Posted by StanCe
damn looks like my car. but i didnt do the rear spare and deep inside the car. looks good though !
you shoulda makes a huge difference, thanks

Originally Posted by mtparker18
good job with the mat.
as far as the batt/alt, it all depends on the amp. Big 3 definitely. I have a 500w jl in my car and I have minor dimming. anything bigger I'd definitely do atleast a battery.
thanks, i know i will do big 3 soon

Originally Posted by GSteg
I've done as low 400wrms to the XXX before and it was fine. The key is to have a box that's able to make the most out of the power available.
henry that doesnt even sound like its enough power to even move that thing, lol

Originally Posted by GCOP
I would have to agree about upgrading the 8AWG. think about the wire as a water pipe, and the water being current, the bigger the pipe, the more you will flow.
wire wont be a problem im going 0 gauge

Big Mack, what kind of car audio experience do you have? I'm just wondering because your making it sound like you somewhat know what your talking about, but your way wrong by saying that a battery doesn't do anything for your system except cause more load for the alternator.

I've built and designed (6) 140db+ and (3) 150db+ @ TL on Dash systems in my time, most consisting of 18" Fi BTL, RE SX's, 18" RE MT's, 15" L7, etc. I've been activly posting and talking with some of the most respected builders in the caraudio community on http://www.caraudio.com/forum/ so I'd like to think I know what I'm talking about when it comes to car audio.

A battery in the trunk like the one I currently use... 70lb Kinetik HC2400: 2600 Cranking Amps with 128 Amp Hours makes a night n' day difference...

http://www.woofersetc.com/p4580/HC24...Power-Cell.htm

sakataj, I'd do the BIG 3 in Kicker 1/0 and also run the same 1/0 gauge all the way to the trunk. This Kicker power cable is the best you can get for the price, if you search around you can find it for $100...

http://www.woofersetc.com/p2991/PKD1...-Power-Kit.htm

I do agree with Big Mack that the alternator upgrade is key, I've ordered a 260amp alternator from Iraggi and it made a huge difference when I was running a Rockford BD40001 4000rms amp powering a couple 18" RE MT's...

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Iraggi-A...__W0QQ_armrsZ1

If your on a budget I'd hold off on getting an alternator right now and just get a battery in the back similar to the Kinetik linked above so this way it can be worked into the trunk with the sub box build.

sakataj, What's the coil configuration on the sub, is it the older version XXX or the new version? A XXX is very close to the RE MT series subs I've ran in the past, I'd say you want around 2000rms to work with for that sub.

The most important thing to look at in your build is going to be box design, I can't stress this the most... I hate seeing amazing equipment put into a vehicle and setup more for show, rather then for output.

Let me know the details of the sub and I'll give you some numbers to work with for sub box design. I've got 7-8 people in my caraudio.com contacts that have 12" RE XXX's and most of them are doing 2.5cuft at 35hz with 55sq.in. of port area.
you know your actually the reason i switched from the Pioneer TS-SW124D 12" Shallow-Mount Subwoofer to the re series of subs.... thanks btw

its a 2008 NIB RE AUDIO XXX 12" 2 ohm so you tell me if its a newer or older version, i dunno when they switched. i was afraid i would have to get that much power....any suggestions? kinda wish u were here to build me a box btw

Originally Posted by SPL FREEK
thanks

Originally Posted by Big Mack
Dang it!! We did kind of veer from that, didn't we?

Yes, very good job on the Dynamatting!!

Big Mack
thanks

Originally Posted by scooter58
holy cow..

that's a lot of dynamat!!
yeah....but not even half of how much i will have, wait till im done
Old 07-02-09, 04:22 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Brian, I ran mine with about 500 watts for a while like GSTeg did and it sounded surprisingly good, you get more out of it than you'd think. Of course it wasn't anything like it was with 1800.
Old 07-02-09, 04:24 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kyle Harty
Brian, I ran mine with about 500 watts for a while like GSTeg did and it sounded surprisingly good, you'll get more out of it than you'd think. Of course not like it did with 1800.
yeah, i was afraid of this....amp is gonna run me major $$$ im afraid....looking for suggestions
Old 07-02-09, 04:43 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Talking

Originally Posted by sakataj
yeah, i was afraid of this....amp is gonna run me major $$$ im afraid....looking for suggestions
Power's gotten a lot cheaper over the past few years. I'm still old school and will be using my own stuff, but you may need a bumper sticker for the car depending on what you go with. Will look something like this one:

Big Mack
Old 07-02-09, 05:25 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Power's gotten a lot cheaper over the past few years. I'm still old school and will be using my own stuff, but you may need a bumper sticker for the car depending on what you go with. Will look something like this one:

Big Mack
true but quality has gone up.....so price does also.

i like that sticker.im gonna rock it on the sub box.....i need someone to make cough cough SHiZNiLTi
Old 07-02-09, 06:36 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

more soon to come.....so any amp suggestions?
Old 07-02-09, 10:20 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sakataj
more soon to come.....so any amp suggestions?
Get yourself the Tru Hammer. At that ohm load, it should deliver about 1500 watts and will look fantastic doing it. I see them for about $1K on fleabay. I also know several people who own them and they are very, VERY well made. Hard to beat hand made quality. Never mind that I own one myself.

Big Mack
Old 07-02-09, 10:22 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Get yourself the Tru Hammer. At that ohm load, it should deliver about 1500 watts and will look fantastic doing it. I see them for about $1K on fleabay. I also know several people who own them and they are very, VERY well made. Hard to beat hand made quality. Never mind that I own one myself.

Big Mack

If money is no object the best is the TRU SledgeHammer 2 hammers in one chassis.

1 x 2000W @ 4 ohms
1 x 3000W @ 2 ohms
1 x 4000W @ 1 ohm

Quick Reply: To any/all RE AUDIO XXX owners......