GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

To any/all RE AUDIO XXX owners......

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-09, 11:02 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

ok so FINALLY updating some pics....here are SOME but not all of my parts, not pictured are ALOT of the major components im still collecting

a md-3d usa amp
a kinetik hc2400
the custom wood/plexiglass box
the Alpine VPA-B222 VehicleHub Pro
avdhd audiovox 1/2 din dvd player
rear view camera in trunk key hole

and i gotta sell my 6x9 diamond d662's i had in my es and buy some more d662 6.5's

i modified the ML dash speaker to hold one of my d662 tweeters

Last edited by sakataj; 03-17-10 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-26-09, 11:04 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

bought this from a group buy on here bout a year or so ago havent used it yet but i couldn't pass on the price

i got ALOT more to collect before im done and trying to time this to work as i do a full interior swap
Old 10-27-09, 12:08 AM
krazyGs3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default amp

I would run about 2k watts on that sub.. Make sure you make the box close to spec as possible.. If you have a bigger amp is always better.. You can always turn it down.. If the amp is to small, it will blow the sub easier..I learned my lesson.. I have 2 12" digital designs 9500 series subs. each sub can take up to 3k watts.. Im using a 6500 watt soundstream xxx for power.. As for batteries I had kinetic batteries 5-1400 but they don't acutally hold up.. The loudest spl vehicle had kinetic batteries and changed them out and got louder..I'm using a new battery called SVR. 4-3500 batteries. 1 SVR has the cap. of 2 1/2 yellow optimas. when adding batteries always run the same battery. If your going to run different batteries you need to isolate. Power wires i use is all 1/0 or 4-4 gauge wires. 1 battery in the front and 3 in the rear. just go to a shop the sells welding equipement. the have the big wires cheap and all the battery terminals you need.
the first time 2-12 and 2 1200 watt amps..

re done with a 4000watt amp

new amp 6500 watts

svr batteries

Old 10-27-09, 12:44 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Well yea, RE says thermal handling is 2k, so yea no reason to go more if its just for everyday use. As for box size and if you're wanting as loud as possible, everyone knows that factory specs wont give you that, so throw that idea out. Find out how much space you have to use get as much as you can; rule of thumb for ported box is 12-18" of square port for every cu. ft. so basically if you have 2 cu. of space then 24-36" of square port then tune it with the length of the port, the more shallower the port, the higher its tuned, the longer it is the lower its tuned.
Old 10-27-09, 12:45 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Brian, you finally getting things together? Sounds like you get things done about as fast as I do. I'm starting to think I might have to do up the GS if I don't find someone to buy my old system soon.

It's been a while since I've had anything to do with the audio scene but I have to throw out a question/doubt on the last post about underpowering leading to blown subs. I always subscribed to the theory that subs in that case were blown by distortion from turning the gain up too high trying to compensate for an underpowered amp rather than the lower power itself. I've run subs with alot less power than recommended in the past with no problems. I could be wrong but wanted to throw out another view point for discussion.

Love those DD 9500's too, I had a 9515 back in the day and that sub was a beast!
Old 10-27-09, 05:01 AM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like your coming along! You won't be let down with those diamonds, I have them and personally, I think they're the best I've heard.
Old 10-27-09, 11:59 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by krazyGs3
I would run about 2k watts on that sub.. Make sure you make the box close to spec as possible.. If you have a bigger amp is always better.. You can always turn it down.. If the amp is to small, it will blow the sub easier..I learned my lesson.. I have 2 12" digital designs 9500 series subs. each sub can take up to 3k watts.. Im using a 6500 watt soundstream xxx for power.. As for batteries I had kinetic batteries 5-1400 but they don't acutally hold up.. The loudest spl vehicle had kinetic batteries and changed them out and got louder..I'm using a new battery called SVR. 4-3500 batteries. 1 SVR has the cap. of 2 1/2 yellow optimas. when adding batteries always run the same battery. If your going to run different batteries you need to isolate. Power wires i use is all 1/0 or 4-4 gauge wires. 1 battery in the front and 3 in the rear. just go to a shop the sells welding equipement. the have the big wires cheap and all the battery terminals you need.
the first time 2-12 and 2 1200 watt amps..
got a link to this battery and yeah im gonna run 2k on the sub. im gonna use 0 gauge throughtout the whole car

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Well yea, RE says thermal handling is 2k, so yea no reason to go more if its just for everyday use. As for box size and if you're wanting as loud as possible, everyone knows that factory specs wont give you that, so throw that idea out. Find out how much space you have to use get as much as you can; rule of thumb for ported box is 12-18" of square port for every cu. ft. so basically if you have 2 cu. of space then 24-36" of square port then tune it with the length of the port, the more shallower the port, the higher its tuned, the longer it is the lower its tuned.
i do have the box sorted out

Originally Posted by Kyle Harty
Brian, you finally getting things together? Sounds like you get things done about as fast as I do. I'm starting to think I might have to do up the GS if I don't find someone to buy my old system soon.

It's been a while since I've had anything to do with the audio scene but I have to throw out a question/doubt on the last post about underpowering leading to blown subs. I always subscribed to the theory that subs in that case were blown by distortion from turning the gain up too high trying to compensate for an underpowered amp rather than the lower power itself. I've run subs with alot less power than recommended in the past with no problems. I could be wrong but wanted to throw out another view point for discussion.

Love those DD 9500's too, I had a 9515 back in the day and that sub was a beast!
yeah sorta have everything sorted out, just need more time and more dynamat actually

Originally Posted by mtparker18
Looks like your coming along! You won't be let down with those diamonds, I have them and personally, I think they're the best I've heard.
i have used them for years i love the diamonds
Old 03-13-10, 11:05 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

ok so some updates. i finally started back on this...

some of the parts im using....

Old Photo With Some Of My Parts

Stinger Power Distribution Block And 6 Channel RCA's

Peripheral Peswiakjc Steering Wheel Interface

Siruis Tuner

Nav Tool I Bought From A Group Buy On Here Like 2 Years Ago

Diamond Tweeters

Eclipse Amp For Components

Diamond Tweeter In ML Dash Holder

Old 03-13-10, 11:19 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Diamond D662 Components

Stinger Inline Fuse Holder And Another Power Distribution Block

RE Audio XXX 12" Sub (just got back from a scuba trip so my spare tank is in this pic also)

Started my BIG 3 UPGRADE (waiting on custom alternator to do the one from the alternator)

Not Pictured but will be installed

i think this is the amp i decided on (handles 5,000 watts and costs more than MOST people put into their whole systems)

Orion® HCCA25001

http://www.orioncaraudio.com/Product...?ProductID=574

kinetik hc2400 battery on top of my yellow top altima

http://www.kinetikaudio.com/2009/pro...?C=1&P=KHC2400

custom built to spec high output alternator

custom box with front being plexiglass with amp racks

avdhd audiovox half din dvd player

http://www.6thstreetshops.com/full-f...vd-player.html

alpine VPA-B222 interface

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/vpa-b222

alpine kca-sc100 ipod interface

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/kca-sc100

Diesel Audio NS-CAM-1

http://www.dieselaudio.com/multi-media06.html

KCE-422i ipod wire

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/kce-422i

im sure there is more but i cannot recall it right now. i will utilize my factory nav screen in this build though.

more to come soon

Last edited by sakataj; 03-14-10 at 12:31 AM.
Old 03-14-10, 12:08 AM
I.B.dAt.Fo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awesome that your continuing your install. Bet when finish it will look and sound great.
Old 03-14-10, 12:27 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I.B.dAt.Fo
awesome that your continuing your install. Bet when finish it will look and sound great.
thanks. im hoping for it to be superb. still deciding on if i want a neon in the plexiglass or if im gonna make a big lexus symbol on it

here are some more dynamat shots hahaha and im not done yet. doing roof (yes roof) and rest of doors soon

Old 03-14-10, 01:46 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Looking good! I have no patience for dynamat after I did my trunk and headliner with 4 layers... I said, "im done". Just a PITA to put on did a couple doors too though
Old 03-14-10, 10:22 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Looking good! I have no patience for dynamat after I did my trunk and headliner with 4 layers... I said, "im done". Just a PITA to put on did a couple doors too though
thanks, i dunno i enjoy doing stuff to my car...so right now i tolerate it. also maybe cause i started acquiring parts for this build in 2007
Old 03-14-10, 10:25 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

I got a SR 10 Re Audio and I still like it.
Old 03-14-10, 12:47 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sakataj
thanks, i dunno i enjoy doing stuff to my car...so right now i tolerate it. also maybe cause i started acquiring parts for this build in 2007
yea me too, but after doing it to every car I've had over and over and over and customers cars.... ugh, just no fun anymore

btw, if you really Loved it, you wouldnt be back on this topic a year later with the same progress as before j/k

Quick Reply: To any/all RE AUDIO XXX owners......