GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How Long before the engine cools?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-09, 02:09 AM
kingkirby
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Long before the engine cools?

i have a 98 gs400 and just drove 20 minutes to work. its been 2 hours and i took a break sitting on the hood of my car. i felt hot air coming from the grille. i popped the hood and felt the engine cover, intake and almost everything i dared to touch. everything was still hot. i checked my fluids but everything is still fine. is this normal? maybe i need to flush some old fluids? thanks
Old 07-01-09, 02:16 AM
RI-Lex
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

depends on the temp in your area I guess, make sure your cooling level is fine and keep on eye on the temp gauge for any changes.
Old 07-01-09, 11:32 AM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Why would you want it to cool faster?

Engines are supposed to operate at a specific temperature range, so their idea of "cool" will still burn a human.
when you go out to lunch at noon, your engine will still have retained heat and is already warmed up with no 2nd "damaging" cold start for the engine (damaging according to folks that suffer from oil OCD).
If you look into the technical speccs of the Prius, it even insulates the coolant to keep it hot throughout the night to warm up the engine.
Old 07-01-09, 06:42 PM
slvrboolet
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should have a turbo EVERYTHING gets hot and stays that way for awhile. I pop my hood and the whole garage heats up lol.
Old 07-01-09, 08:55 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 106 Likes on 84 Posts

If you car is parked in direct sunlight then that's the culprit.
Old 07-01-09, 09:28 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by kingkirby
i have a 98 gs400 and just drove 20 minutes to work. its been 2 hours and i took a break sitting on the hood of my car. i felt hot air coming from the grille. i popped the hood and felt the engine cover, intake and almost everything i dared to touch. everything was still hot. i checked my fluids but everything is still fine. is this normal? maybe i need to flush some old fluids? thanks
Did you leave the hood open? If you want to see a difference, leave the hood down for 2 hours, then the next time open in it up for a half hour. You'll be amazed at the difference in time to cool.

You have to keep in mind that the car is fairly well insulated inside the engine compartment, too, and the only way it's getting air is through the grill and possibly up from behind the plate under the car. That's not a lot of air to cool it down, and 2 hours isn't a long period of time to drop from 400°+. Also keep in mind that the coolant isn't flowing through the engine at full pressure, nor is the fan sucking air in or blowing it across, so it's going to take time. Obviously you're concerned about it, but it seems completely reasonable. I park in my garage, and it heats it up quite nicely in winter when returning home. Even worse in summer time when the garage is already hotter than a blast furnace!

Big Mack
Old 07-02-09, 01:17 AM
kingkirby
Driver

just an update... it took 7 hours for whole thing to settle to normal. it was about 75 degrees outside and the time was 12am to 7am. its probably normal since i had my hood closed.
Old 07-02-09, 10:21 AM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

sounds about right.

as long as you're not boiling or losing any fluids, you are fine.

if you want your to really cool down, i suggest getting a vented hood, lol.
Old 07-02-09, 10:40 AM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

This thread still puzzles me.

The car's "normal" operating temperature is like 220degrees F, so I don't understand why there's an obsession with wanting your engine to cool down to room temperature. I'd want my car to stay at it's operating temperature, and not just plummet.
What if i have to drive to canada or alaska?

If the reason is you need to do mechanical work on your car, pop the hood, set up a box fan in front, and that'll help it cool down faster.
Old 07-02-09, 11:01 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by raytseng
Why would you want it to cool faster?

Engines are supposed to operate at a specific temperature range, so their idea of "cool" will still burn a human.
when you go out to lunch at noon, your engine will still have retained heat and is already warmed up with no 2nd "damaging" cold start for the engine (damaging according to folks that suffer from oil OCD).
If you look into the technical speccs of the Prius, it even insulates the coolant to keep it hot throughout the night to warm up the engine.
They also sell engine block heaters. They must sell them for a reason.
Old 07-02-09, 11:14 AM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

who cares. Like it matters how long it takes to cool.
Old 07-02-09, 01:45 PM
Sydwayz
Rookie

Who sits on the hood of their car anywayz?
Old 07-02-09, 02:37 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by McKrevice
He expressed a concern. Perhaps he doesn't have as much experience as the rest of us? And, even more important, he came back to see what was said. It's how we learn, mang.

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I agree, but to each his own.

I think some people need to take it easy on the guy. Sheesh, we're all here to learn/help/take pride in our rides.

Big Mack
Old 07-03-09, 01:09 AM
kingkirby
Driver

Originally Posted by McKrevice
haha. well im kinda new and for me a 20 min drive with a 7 hr cooling period is a long time.
Old 07-03-09, 01:13 AM
kingkirby
Driver

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
i do. and u must be an idiot to really think i sat indian style, full weight on the hood. haha. u never leaned on ur car with ur butt on the hood?

Quick Reply: How Long before the engine cools?