GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Odd issue with my navigation screen

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-09, 05:59 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Odd issue with my navigation screen

This will sound very odd, but since this is the second summer that I have had the car I have noticed that the screen turns purple in hot weather.

Sounds crazy, I know, but I'm serious. When the weather is hot- above 90 degrees probably- the screen turns a deep, deep purple color. This was my theory last year as the car stopped doing it as the weather cooled off and we got into fall, but now that the weather is back to sweltering, it's doing it again.

I am sure it's the weather because the last two days here have been quite mild and my nav screen has been normal. It's also usually not affected during the evenings when the temps are 70s-80s, but during the summer days of 90+ it turns purple.

It's also only the map screen that's purple. If I go to climate, destination, audio, etc...everything is completely fine and dandy. It's just the home, map screen.

I asked the dealer recently and they said that short of replacing the entire unit, there isn't anything that can be done.

Any ideas? Very bizarre, I know...
Old 07-05-09, 06:02 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What happens when your car cools down in a garage or something? Does you still have this problem?

Just curious how long it lasts like this.....
Old 07-05-09, 06:12 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by istundra
What happens when your car cools down in a garage or something? Does you still have this problem?

Just curious how long it lasts like this.....
It lasts as long as it's hot outside, to be honest. I always garage my car and while it protects it from the elements, it's often only a few degrees cooler than the outdoors.

It turns off only when the temperature cools down to less than 90 degrees or so.

Old 07-05-09, 06:15 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry to hear of your problems....

I do not have the same NAV as you, but i do notice some LCD's under high heat do have some slight discoloration.. but once it cools, it is fine.

I hope you find a solution soon! Goodluck!
Old 07-05-09, 08:30 PM
PhoenixINX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just out of curiosity... you know the screen has different color modes right? I say this ONLY because shortly after getting the car, I too noticed ONLY the nav change color. You can readjust this in the settings.

Let me know if that's it.
Old 07-05-09, 09:06 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So, the only screen thats purple is the home screen? Probably a setting. I dont have the navi but its logic that if the unit was failing, it would be purple all the time.
Old 07-05-09, 09:16 PM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, I have a '02 GS430 with the stock NAV and I have also notice the light purple tint when it's hot outside. It doesn't affect the NAV in anyway, maybe the heat causes something to change in the LCD crystals??
Old 07-05-09, 09:18 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by habeeb89
Yeah, I have a '02 GS430 with the stock NAV and I have also notice the light purple tint when it's hot outside. It doesn't affect the NAV in anyway, maybe the heat causes something to change in the LCD crystals??
Exactly. Everything still works and you can see it fine, it just has this purple tint to it.
Old 07-06-09, 11:27 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Go out for lunch, temps in the low 90s, screen is purple
Old 07-09-09, 06:56 PM
Sheehan1p
★ I

thats never happened to mine at all even when it gets really hot
Old 07-09-09, 11:14 PM
1996gs300
Driver School Candidate

My navigation seems to do the opposite. I have always noticed when it was cold(50 and below, cold to los angeles people) my screen turns purple. I have never had any problems with heat even in triple digit in vegas or phoenix. I have experienced issues with other LCD such as laptops or stereo displays in the cold as well.
Old 07-10-09, 02:44 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My guess is since it happens on the maps screen only and either when hot, or cold in the other case, it is the beginning signs of an electronic parts (Bad cap, resistor ect.) in the DVD navigation drive unit, or its RGB output stage. But, that is on;y a guess.
Old 07-11-09, 08:12 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
My guess is since it happens on the maps screen only and either when hot, or cold in the other case, it is the beginning signs of an electronic parts (Bad cap, resistor ect.) in the DVD navigation drive unit, or its RGB output stage. But, that is on;y a guess.
yeah my guess to.

well Michael maybe its time for you to upgrade to the gen 4 nav like i did.

just need a pic of it when its on beyond the agree button
and im fixing to by a wiring control that overrides the agree screen and the directions by driving
Old 08-18-11, 07:59 PM
docrings
Rookie

My NAV goes dim and the buttons "lock out" upon starting when its been sitting outside in cold weather (below 40F). Once the car heats up, you have to restart the car to re-boot the NAV computer to get touch-screen functionality back.
That happened for a few years every Winter if parked outside, and now, the color on the screen has gone out permanently (but touch-screen still working in warmer weather)... maybe the green or blue has died, and it's mostly black and tan/orange colors only. Still usable, but looks pretty bad.
Old 08-19-11, 09:51 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by docrings
My NAV goes dim and the buttons "lock out" upon starting when its been sitting outside in cold weather (below 40F). Once the car heats up, you have to restart the car to re-boot the NAV computer to get touch-screen functionality back.
That happened for a few years every Winter if parked outside, and now, the color on the screen has gone out permanently (but touch-screen still working in warmer weather)... maybe the green or blue has died, and it's mostly black and tan/orange colors only. Still usable, but looks pretty bad.
just replace it and call it a day....i replaced one back a few years ago. cheapest i have seen them go including the 2 i bought was $200 most i would pay for one is probably $300 if i couldnt find one AND it should include the ML tape player for $300

Quick Reply: Odd issue with my navigation screen