GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Discussions exclusively to 1stGEN GS300 ONLY

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-02, 04:57 PM
jhuzzee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Discussions exclusively to 1stGEN GS300 ONLY

Hi all 1stGEN owners.

I'm pumped. I'm excited. Just got me a 94 GS 300 with only 67k miles. This is a college (BA) graduation present for myself.

I've created this thread to post Questions for newbies like me, and get feedbacks from peeps that have owned 1st gens in a while.

Let's discuss the ff: feel free to add more

Maintenance - costs, experience
Modifications - HID ligts, tint, wheels, tires, body kits etc.
Fastest speed driven
Gas mileage
FAQ
Do it yourself (DIY) - oil change, brakes?, etc.
Purchase price?

Please just jump in.

Jhuzz
Old 04-05-02, 12:03 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on the purchase! A '94 with only 67K mile...score! What color did you get (exterior/interior)...any factory options?

While I don't own a 1st gen (I have a GS430), I can help you with the "modification" part...just post any questions (be as specific as possible).

If you plan on doing a body kit, I think the Quest Power kit looks nice...as does the Veilside kit...

Here's the link to the Quest Power..

http://www.quest-power.com/aero14.htm
Old 04-05-02, 02:55 AM
2Lexos
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey manaray, are the mirrors,on that page from quest power, electric? I'm looking for some replacement mirrors for my 95 GS.

alex

Originally posted by manaray
Congrats on the purchase! A '94 with only 67K mile...score! What color did you get (exterior/interior)...any factory options?

While I don't own a 1st gen (I have a GS430), I can help you with the "modification" part...just post any questions (be as specific as possible).

If you plan on doing a body kit, I think the Quest Power kit looks nice...as does the Veilside kit...

Here's the link to the Quest Power..

http://www.quest-power.com/aero14.htm
Old 04-05-02, 09:22 AM
ocnbrzz
Driver

Default congrats!

On your fine choice of grad presents.... You are going to love your 1st gen G3, At 67k you most likely have a real gem that is in pristine condition.

Keep up on the maintinance, i.e. oil/filter(s) and remember to use premium fuel only. (you know that already, I'm sure )

If you haven't already, give the engine a good detailing, it really adds to the overall enjoyment knowing that under the hood is sparkling as well. I use 20/50 wt castrol.

Keep it clean, keep it Lexus & enjoy!!
Old 04-05-02, 11:40 AM
blue wax
Lead Lap

cheers with your present..... but it's more then just a car it's a Lexus..!!! one of the better cars on this globe.

U should have no probs at all if you maintain her well. (just like your grlfriend).

so many body mods, wheels and engine upgrades possible.
depending on your budget of course.
the 1st. gen can be a pretty wild thing too. Don't get frustrated by everything you read in this forum.

love her she will love U!!

jacko
Old 04-05-02, 12:04 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Maintenance - costs, experience (Oil change everyone 2-3 months 25 bucks)

Modifications - HID ligts, tint, wheels, tires, body kits etc. (i'm getting ready to order another pair of phillips first one was deffected and got a refund) (i have 5% tints in back and 35 %up front)

Fastest speed driven (was on my way to cabazon from torrance and i had old tires on so i couldn't get past 90 because it would shake too much now that i just put on some new Michelin tires i go on the freeway doing 90 with no vibration. i'm going to cabazon again next week where its just open road and i'll tell you how fast i'm gonna go)

Gas mileage (The first generation GS has a 21 gallon gas tank. i wait until the light comes on and its below the line and i could still only pump around 18.5 gallons. i get around 300 miles to the tank which is mostly city driving, we get bad gas milliage it seems)

FAQ (Thie is a great car, i love the location of the fog lights and the projector headlights. we have a very nice cut off line. no complaints about this car what so ever.)

Do it yourself (DIY) - oil change, brakes?, etc. (i change my own oil takes about 20 minutes or so. i haven't needed to change the breaks yet but my dad will probly do it for me because i don't know how)

Purchase price? i just purchased this car November 01, with 110,000 miles on it for 8,800. it was advertised for 9,900.

the only thing that i don't like about my car is that the whole car had been repainted because the previous owner lived out in woodland hills and it gets very hot out there and he got the car repainted because he said the paint was fading and chipping. if you look at my car you can kinda tell it was repainted if i told you. the reflection on my car is dull and not very sharp at all.

here is a link to pics of my GS. please post your pics here too

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...highlight=9397
Old 04-05-02, 03:05 PM
mcnelson
Lexus Test Driver

I love my GS300!

Tint-Get 5% all the way around

Wheel-I like my black on black look, very subtle, Volk 19" (very light and top quality, but pricey)

Tires-Yokahama AVS Sport very nice!

Body kit-The Veilside kit looks tight as hell! (especially the front bumper, I am not too impressed by the sideskirts or rear valence)

Gas-15 to 18 miles to the gallon

Good luck!!
Old 04-05-02, 04:16 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

with the black wheels, it looks like one of those secret service cars, like the suburbans... its phat.
Old 04-05-02, 11:05 PM
jhuzzee
Driver School Candidate

Cool !st Gen300

Thanks all for warm welcome.

I am loving my 94 GS300. My GF is getting jealous because I've been spending a lot of time in my car, and she's giving me a hard time by accusing me of showing off my car to get some chicks, oh well, women...I just said to her that I'm bonding with the car. LOL

Anyway, I will post my some pixs hopefully tomorrow as soon as I figure out how to upload them.

Many thanks to Jmail for a very informative post and to Manaray for the offer to share his/her wealth of info on mods.

The only change I'd made so far was to replace the rims by 18' Milano Premium Wheels, 225/40/18. I'd like to upgrade my headlight though with HID. I think the Halogen bulbs are a little weak. Any ideas how much this HID costs, where to get them, and how to install (where to put those ballasts)?

On Monday, I'll have the car tinted. I'm in northern Cali, 25 miles North of SF. The price I was quoted was 250 which I think was pretty good. QUESTION: what do you think of these %s as suggested by someone that works there? 18% back, 28% back sides, and 50% front sides? Personally, I think they're light, but satisfies the legal requirement...not sure if I should follow that advise however....

Anybody know or has a link on how to remove the headlight panel to access the bulb. I'd like to clean my cuz it looks all fogged up insided?
Old 04-05-02, 11:50 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: !st Gen300

Originally posted by jhuzzee
Thanks all for warm welcome.

I am loving my 94 GS300. My GF is getting jealous because I've been spending a lot of time in my car, and she's giving me a hard time by accusing me of showing off my car to get some chicks, oh well, women...I just said to her that I'm bonding with the car. LOL

Anyway, I will post my some pixs hopefully tomorrow as soon as I figure out how to upload them.

Many thanks to Jmail for a very informative post and to Manaray for the offer to share his/her wealth of info on mods.

The only change I'd made so far was to replace the rims by 18' Milano Premium Wheels, 225/40/18. I'd like to upgrade my headlight though with HID. I think the Halogen bulbs are a little weak. Any ideas how much this HID costs, where to get them, and how to install (where to put those ballasts)?

On Monday, I'll have the car tinted. I'm in northern Cali, 25 miles North of SF. The price I was quoted was 250 which I think was pretty good. QUESTION: what do you think of these %s as suggested by someone that works there? 18% back, 28% back sides, and 50% front sides? Personally, I think they're light, but satisfies the legal requirement...not sure if I should follow that advise however....

Anybody know or has a link on how to remove the headlight panel to access the bulb. I'd like to clean my cuz it looks all fogged up insided?
wow you changed the rims on your car already??? dam that was fast. hehe. first off HID's can cost anywhere from 400-600 depending on where you buy them. i highly recomend you NOT to buy the K2 kits on e-bay they are very cheap and are no good. some of the cheapest place i've seen are www.suvlights.com call them to get a quote. they quoted me 450. for phillips. as for where to put the ballast. i'm sure you can just stick one in front of the battery and the other one in front of the air box. and maybe valcro it down or put some zip ties around it to the car.

As for tint goes thats a pretty high price. maybe for your area is cheap. i live in southern california and i got all my tints done for 100 bucks with lifetime waranty againt bubbling, fading, and peeling. on my car i have 5% in the back and 35% up front. i think it will look odd if you do 3 different shades on your car. i like my tints right now. the rear windows are very dark and looks good on my black car. the view at night through the back is a bit harder but you will get used to it. by front 2 windows are 35% and at an angle they look dark but if you stand right infront of it they don't look dark at all. in the sun my front tint looks light. but in the shade and at night they look just like my back windows.

as for taking apart the headlights GOOD LUCK MAN. my girlfriend and i both drive the first generation GS. i have black she has grey. well some guy backed up into her car and broke the legs off her headlights and so i took both her headlights and the insurance replaced both of them. i tried opening the stock headlight up and trying to clear out the corner lens but i had no luck even getting it open. i was using a very hot heat gun an a oven with still no luck.

My car right now has 225 all around also like your and i love it much more than the 215 all around that came stock. the 225 makes it look more agressive and mean.

i'm bored so i'm writing tonight. lol. you mentioned that the headlights and fog lights on your GS are very dim and i TOTALLY agree with you. one of the things that i did to increase my light was that i took my foglights apart and took out the glare guard. increase the light out by 50%. on your foglights the light bulb shine against a piece of metal the reflects againts the housing to shine on the road. on my foglight the light bulb shines directly on to the road.haha. good luck and enjoy
Old 04-06-02, 05:17 AM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Welcome to the forum jhuzzee, i am new here too... and having fun so far! Congratulations on your new GS3 you will have a lot of fun i am sure. I have a 93GS and a 2001 IS, My GS has been virtually maintenance free. I ust posted a thread on how many miles does your car have? I have 205,000 on the gs

i have had it over 5yrs. and did nothing to it mechanically until around 130,000-140,000miles whereby i did my major service replaced timing belt waterpump, plugs, valve cover gaskets and i also replaced the alternator while i was at it.. The only problems i have had under the hood was to replace a drive belt tensioner which i did myself for $50-$100.. dont remember at around 150,000mi and alsoa power brake booster.. around $250 at about 170,000,miand lastly i need to replace my powersteering pump now cuz it whines occasionally. No tranny , AC or nothing like that needed to be done.

The car still runs and looks great, i have topped it at 130-135mph.. computer controlled i think. Hit 130mph last week.

Black/Tan, Heated seats, Trac control, replaced Nakamachi with Kenwood KVT910 dvd last year (mobile video with touch screen and built in dvd), also had playstation in glove compartment with extensions running under center console to rear seat to view 6.5 inch screen . Replaced 11' Nak sub with 12' Kenwood Free Air (had to order) with Alpine V-12 amp / 5-channel, VCR and 10 disc changer all flush mounted in trunk, 17' Niche Neptunes (chrome), with smoke side blinkers, gold pkg, gold tint (looks good you have to see it) lexus tags front & rear, and 22= piece wood grain kit which covers entire instrument panel behind the clear plastic all vents , front and rear armrest etc.

..Whoa i said a lot.. save some for next time i am trying to find a recent picture will post later.