GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Headlights Faded?..I have the cure!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-02, 11:09 AM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Headlights Faded?..I have the cure!

I have read from past threads that many of you have been experienceing the problem of your headlights fading over time. This causes your lights to be dim, and your car to look old from a frontal view right? Have any of you priced new headlights ... around $500 each for first gen and $75-$250 used. i read where one guy took lights off tried to open them---They are sealed shut , plus its a lot of trouble to take them off.

Well, it looks like there is residue on the inside, there really isn't, we'll it's minimal. The fading comes from oxidation from the sun and outside elements and and possibly cleaning materials that you use on your car.

Here's the cure---I have been detailing cars for about 14yrs. All you need to do is when you are buffing your car (waxing). When using a professional buffer not an oribatial (RPM won't be high enough) Buff the headlights as well, you won't need to add any wax to the lenses the residual on the medium density pad should be enough. But if yo u like you can it won't hurt the lense. You will need to use a high quality wax made for buffing / these generally have a cleaning property (similar to a rubbing compound but not as harsh0 coupled with a waxing property (which gives UV protection and luster). This procedure should only take under a min. for each light. They are plastic and can be polished just as silver, gold , glass and aluminum can. Your foglights on the other hand cannot you will need to replace them . If you guys don't have the equipment go to a detail shop in your area and they should be able to do it --don't pay much this is really simple and don't use a rubbing compound (too harsh may scratch lenses) They will look like new when you are finished .

Hope this helps
Old 04-06-02, 11:28 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

thanks man!!
Old 04-06-02, 01:19 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Headlights Faded?..I have the cure!

Originally posted by 007
I have read from past threads that many of you have been experienceing the problem of your headlights fading over time. This causes your lights to be dim, and your car to look old from a frontal view right? Have any of you priced new headlights ... around $500 each for first gen and $75-$250 used. i read where one guy took lights off tried to open them---They are sealed shut , plus its a lot of trouble to take them off.

Well, it looks like there is residue on the inside, there really isn't, we'll it's minimal. The fading comes from oxidation from the sun and outside elements and and possibly cleaning materials that you use on your car.

Here's the cure---I have been detailing cars for about 14yrs. All you need to do is when you are buffing your car (waxing). When using a professional buffer not an oribatial (RPM won't be high enough) Buff the headlights as well, you won't need to add any wax to the lenses the residual on the medium density pad should be enough. But if yo u like you can it won't hurt the lense. You will need to use a high quality wax made for buffing / these generally have a cleaning property (similar to a rubbing compound but not as harsh0 coupled with a waxing property (which gives UV protection and luster). This procedure should only take under a min. for each light. They are plastic and can be polished just as silver, gold , glass and aluminum can. Your foglights on the other hand cannot you will need to replace them . If you guys don't have the equipment go to a detail shop in your area and they should be able to do it --don't pay much this is really simple and don't use a rubbing compound (too harsh may scratch lenses) They will look like new when you are finished .

Hope this helps

I have done this before at a auto body shop. It gets most of the stuff out, but it does NOT look like new when done. It looks better, but not like a BRAND new headlight assembly.
Old 04-06-02, 01:52 PM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer just replaced mine because of condensation build up, and non-hid and hid lenses only cost about $450/pair (that's what the price list said), so I guarentee that they could be had for less somewhere else.
Old 04-06-02, 02:00 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Ya'll Laughed at Me!!

Guyz - How come when I said I used the fine Griot's polish & the Porter Cable buffer to do the same thing almost a year ago ya'll laughed at ME!!:eek: Guess I'll just go back to my Electronics Forum where I belong, huh?!
BTW - It's an improvement but, like Manuel said, it's not quite as good as new. Of course, I'm not a professional detailer like 007 so I'm sure there's some operator error involved!!
Old 04-06-02, 03:41 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Nah, Gene, the problem is just a nut loose behind the wheel.
Old 04-06-02, 05:55 PM
MRGS400nSoCali
Lead Lap

That's a great idea, i'll have to have that done the next time I get my car detailed.
Old 04-07-02, 03:17 AM
Lead Lap

Default Re: Re: Headlights Faded?..I have the cure

Originally posted by GS4fun

I have done this before at a auto body shop. It gets most of the stuff out, but it does NOT look like new when done. It looks better, but not like a BRAND new headlight assembly.
Mine looks so close to new i wouldn't pay for new ones,but also very few detail shops can bring that shine out on the paint like i can so maybe the same goes for the headlights. I haven't tried it on a GS 98+ and my IS 300 is still new. My car is getting painted next week to remove bug chips, and my girlfriends mishaps i will post a picture next weekend

Also 1st gen parts seem to be a lot more than newer models
Old 04-07-02, 06:02 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Talking That Hurt!!

MT - OUCH!! I thought that only applied to my driving!?:eek: I'll be over in the Electronics area from now on - U guyz play MEAN ( oops, my screen name! ) over here!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-07-02, 06:18 AM
Rover
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights.

Thanks a lot, man. It worked out great for me. I just replaced one of my headlights because of the condensation build-up. And ever since I did that, my car looked funny. I had one new head light and one old. But now, man oh man. My baby looks great, both of the headlights look practically the same even when you look close. That was a great suggestion.
Regards.
--------------------
Keep it Lexus. Yeah, baby.