GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Electric Nightmare.. Any ideas???

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-09 | 05:24 AM
gemini112
Driver School Candidate

yeah im positve i jumped it the correct way.. imma call lexus today and see how much it would cost to replace..
off too work!!!!
Old 07-22-09 | 07:19 AM
TomLee
Lexus Champion

On a sidenote My battery was jumped the wrong way, funny mistkae by a fellow CL member. I fired everything it seems. Lost power EVERYTHING. alarms went off horns went off. ANyways its one of the master 120amp fuses that was my problem. Its around $24 and is located on the fuse box in front of the battery. It's a ***** to get to, you have to comepletely unbolt the fuse box. The fuse is actually held in by two bolts too. Anywyas, I think you jumped your car wrong.
Old 07-22-09 | 11:02 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Did you check every single fuse in the car ?

To have so many ecu's bail at once , is either a bad aftermarket alarm which is frying parts, or a main fuse .
Old 07-24-09 | 12:51 PM
gemini112
Driver School Candidate

Imma check that 120 fuse... Im still convinced its a fried ECU.
is there a fuse for the alarm system??
Old 07-24-09 | 01:12 PM
TomLee
Lexus Champion

I thought my ECU was fried too...Ill take a picture to show which one im talking about
Old 07-24-09 | 02:21 PM
Chin
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by gemini112
Imma check that 120 fuse... Im still convinced its a fried ECU.
is there a fuse for the alarm system??
If the fusible link for the entire car is open (blown), nothing would turn on.

Some alarms are smart enough to know not to go off when you reconnect the battery. What you can try doing is leaving the key turned to the ignition on position before reconnecting the battery. Depending on who manufactures your alarm, that may work. Turn everything else off in the car though - lights, radio, climate control... then just leave your ignition on.

If you have a panic switch for your alarm, try turning the ignition on, then pressing the panic button. That may put your alarm into valet mode and it shouldn't go off after that. Or turn ignition on then off then press the button. Some combination of turning the ignition on/off and pressing and or holding the button, should turn the alarm off. Be careful though because this is also how you access advanced programming options on some alarms.

If you have a DEI / Viper alarm, you can put it into valet mode by pressing 1, then 2, then 1 again. The flashing LED should go steady if you do it properly. hold each button for 1/2 a second.

Did you do any work to your car recently? Pull any panels off? There are dozens of factory ground locations in your car (usually ring terminals held on by 10MM bolts). If one of those grounds were accidentally removed, it can cause problems similar to what your mentioning.

Try all the basic stuff first before you go for high dollar parts like ECU's because usually the fusible link (master fuse) to the car will blow before any damage can be done to ECU's.

Good luck and may the force be with you...