GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Filter

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-09, 07:58 PM
01GS430
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Filter

I know these question been asked many times but i dont know which part number for amsoil air filter.

My father never replaced it. I had to clean some of the dirt of the filter.

I still need to change the cabin filter but my dad wont let me cuz he thinks that i will mess up during the process but ill do it when i get chance. Cabin filter hasn't been replace since 30,000 miles (when we got the car) Which brand is best for the cabin filter?

thanks
Old 07-23-09, 08:02 PM
humanoid
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no Amsoil air filter available for the 2GS. Best cabin filter would be the OEM kind.
Old 07-23-09, 08:26 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by humanoid
There is no Amsoil air filter available for the 2GS. Best cabin filter would be the OEM kind.
If you've already gotten to the stage to clean the filter, then you've already done 105% of the job to change the filter.

I disagree with previous poster that OEM is the best. I got the denso cabin filter before (not sure if this is the same OEM you mention, but has toyota part on it too) and just by looks you can tell it quite dated and probably same design as 10years ago. It is just some fibrous material over plastic backing and 2 sponges on the ends.

Cabin filters are not rocket science, and actually benefit from new technology. Just get whatever's cheapest from any parts vendor that looks like it actually uses a modern filtering media(i.e. paper). Ebay is also good source. There's filters now that have carbon backing to reduce odor, but I think those probably only make a difference if you change the filter regularly. Overall, if you're worried about performance, I think you'd benefit by changing the filter more frequently rather then specific filter choice.

Or if you really want, search CL for the DIY to get your own, and go to home improvement store to buy latest in home A/C filters technology to cut and fit that into the holder (you may have to get creative with some duct tape to make sure no air bypasses around the filter).

If you've every been down that aisle, you'll be overwhelmed with the latest techno selling points of nano-electrostatic filtering, MERV ratings and other gobbledity good to get your attention. (Cheaper stuff still exists too). I would say getting that and cutting it up really is the best.
Old 07-23-09, 08:31 PM
01GS430
Rookie

Originally Posted by raytseng
If you've already gotten to the stage to clean the filter, then you've already done 105% of the job to change the filter.

I disagree with previous poster that OEM is the best. I got the denso cabin filter before (not sure if this is the same OEM you mention, but has toyota part on it too) and just by looks you can tell it quite dated and probably same design as 10years ago. It is just some fibrous material over plastic backing and 2 sponges on the ends.

Cabin filters are not rocket science, and actually benefit from new technology. Just get whatever's cheapest from any parts vendor that looks like it actually uses a modern filtering media(i.e. paper). Ebay is also good source. There's filters now that have carbon backing to reduce odor, but I think those probably only make a difference if you change the filter regularly. Overall, if you're worried about performance, I think you'd benefit by changing the filter more frequently rather then specific filter choice.

Or if you really want, search CL for the DIY to get your own, and go to home improvement store to buy latest in home A/C filters technology to cut and fit that into the holder (you may have to get creative with some duct tape to make sure no air bypasses around the filter).

If you've every been down that aisle, you'll be overwhelmed with the latest techno selling points of nano-electrostatic filtering, MERV ratings and other gobbledity good to get your attention. (Cheaper stuff still exists too). I would say getting that and cutting it up really is the best.
i can do some diy stuff and the filter is already dirty after 4,000 miles. Its very dirty because my father drives on highway most of time. My father wants a toyota part or related cuz It is a lexus. i can try to talk to him into it.
Old 07-23-09, 08:33 PM
01GS430
Rookie

looks like i ll have to vac the air filter.
Old 07-23-09, 08:44 PM
raytseng
Instructor

If it's your dad's car, let him do whatever he wants.

Or it it really bothers you, just change it but just tell him that you just vaccuumed.
Old 07-23-09, 08:46 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by 01GS430
looks like i ll have to vac the air filter.
For the point of what? Once it's dirty, it's hard to get clean - that's why they're disposable filters. If you must have a Toyota part, it's 17801-50060.

If you're willing to get an upgrade and one that can be cleaned, I'd suggest the K&N 33-2220. They're only about $12 more than a Toyota part, but are guaranteed for 1 million miles. Get the cleaning kit, and you're still at less than what two Toyota parts cost, with better fuel economy, better filtration, and better overall performance. There is a reason why many people upgrade the air filter - it's a proven area for improvement over stock.

Big Mack
Old 07-23-09, 09:43 PM
01GS430
Rookie

Originally Posted by raytseng
If it's your dad's car, let him do whatever he wants.

Or it it really bothers you, just change it but just tell him that you just vaccuumed.
well my dad dont mind unless he needs his car. I hate when the hood latch wont close the hood completely.

I may get k n filter. how much is it from the advance auto?
Old 07-23-09, 09:45 PM
humanoid
Driver

Get a Blitz air filter. It's the unoiled version and reusable.

I beg to differ that the K&N filters better than OEM paper filters, have proof other than from the K&N website? Many Tacoma owners, like myself have stayed away from the K&N because it doesn't do a good job of filtering, it tends to gunk up the MAF sensor. If you notice the intake tube, there'll be an oily film on it. It's the oil from the filter along with the dirt getting past the filter.

Better filtration and better flow doesn't go hand-in-hand, you either have one or the other.

Last edited by humanoid; 07-23-09 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-23-09, 09:57 PM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

get OEM.....
Old 07-23-09, 10:02 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Be sure to clarify if you're talking about engine air filter or the
cabin A/C air filter.

My previous post is only about the cabin air filter.
For the engine air filter, the replacement schedule is 30k miles. Even parts companies like FRAM who try to get you to overmaintain your car say the air filter is good for 12k miles.
Any competent shop will inspect this during your car's regular maintenance-even jiffy lube or other oilchange places check this. In comparison many places skip inspecting the cabin filter as this is not critical filter but a comfort one.

Don't take it personally, but based on your original posts, I'm not sure if you are properly determining if it "looks" dirty or if it really is dirty. Engine air filters can quickly pick up dirt and look grey/black or sooty but is still operating properly. In some aspects the used air filter is actually filtering and protecting better as some of the larger holes are closed (such as in the case of filters such as K&N).

Highway miles is irrelevant, unless your highway is a dirt highway or your highway goes around the coal mining site, or you're driving through swarms of flys and locusts.

All this being said, for engine air filter, I would use the OEM toyota part on my car, it's not expensive and comparable in price to generic parts. Based on posts I've read, I'd say the K&N probably has potential negatives and no positives-especially f you have no other engine mods on your car. I would not use a K&N on my car even if it was free.

Last edited by raytseng; 07-23-09 at 10:09 PM.
Old 07-24-09, 04:36 AM
TomLee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 01GS430
well my dad dont mind unless he needs his car. I hate when the hood latch wont close the hood completely.

I may get k n filter. how much is it from the advance auto?
Like Ray said......are you sure you knowwhat your tlaking about?

The cabin filter is in the CABIN(glove compartment). You shouldn't be under the hood.
Old 07-24-09, 09:24 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by humanoid
I beg to differ that the K&N filters better than OEM paper filters, have proof other than from the K&N website? Many Tacoma owners, like myself have stayed away from the K&N because it doesn't do a good job of filtering, it tends to gunk up the MAF sensor. If you notice the intake tube, there'll be an oily film on it. It's the oil from the filter along with the dirt getting past the filter.
I didn't offer proof before, so I don't know what the part about the K&N website was about, but there have been plenty of people (over 100) here that have reviewed them. All independent, not some paid site. Yes, there are negative reviews on there, so it's not all smoothed out, either. I have heard about the problem for Taco owners, and I would advise against it mainly because of the position of the filter, but I think some of the people (as pointed out on car review) over oil the filters. This is something that is important to look at because of course that will gunk up a MAF sensor. I will wholeheartedly agree with you on that. In my personal experience with several different makes/models, K&N filters have done a fantastic job, and are much more cost effective than replacing a paper filter every 10K (or less, since AZ is not exactly a 'dust free' environment). As with all matters engine related, doing your due diligence and performing proper maintenance will always win out over ignoring a problem and assuming all is well under the hood until it throws a rod through the lid.

Big Mack
Old 07-24-09, 10:31 AM
BossGS4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Big Mack;4704533If you're willing to get an upgrade and one that [I
can[/I] be cleaned, I'd suggest the K&N 33-2220. They're only about $12 more than a Toyota part, but are guaranteed for 1 million miles. Get the cleaning kit, and you're still at less than what two Toyota parts cost, with better fuel economy, better filtration, and better overall performance. There is a reason why many people upgrade the air filter - it's a proven area for improvement over stock.

Big Mack
K&N also leaves out the little factoid that if your don't re-oil it correctly it can completely FUBAR your Mass Airflow Sensor to the tune of $160 replacement.
Old 07-24-09, 10:58 AM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

K&N is garbage. Skip that. I have seen independent lab tests from a friend who does this on a daily basis. I have seen every kind of filter tested. K&N is crap that allows more shiat into your engine. Why do you think it flows better? It flows better and also lets in debris that can wear at your piston rings. Forget that.

I only get Napa brand filters. Whether it be oil, air or cabin. But you have to make sure you get the Gold line, as that line is made by Wix, and Wix makes some of the best stuff out there.

Cabin filter I jsut changed was like 20 bucks, why bother wasting time vacuuming it out. Just throw and replace.

Quick Reply: Filter