GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

unusual tire wear please help with opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-09, 06:13 PM
GSTYLIN
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default unusual tire wear please help with opinions

Hey guys,

I have a set of 225/35/20's on the fronts. Weirdest thing that the inner tires have worn out completely, crazy thing its only been like two mths since i've had the rims on.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas what it could be. A lot of ppl have told me camber which i automatically assumed, but have noticed a few ppl mentioning that it could be the lower control arm bushings.

Hoping someone has any ideas as to what this issue could be.... at 175 a tire, not sure if I want to replace them so often.

Any input would be appreciated please.

Let me know what you guys think of this article below, correct or not??

//quote//
I have irregular tire wear, do I need a camber kit?
The answer is a resounding, MAYBE. This answer depends on many factors, including control arm bushing and other suspension component condition, and your Lexus' current alignment specifications.

One indisputable automotive fact - is that bad toe settings on your alignment will wear out your tires MUCH quicker than any bad camber settings. If your camber is negative 2 degrees or less and your tires are wearing out within a few thousand miles, you are probably having toe issues more than you are having camber issues. We recommend your camber be set anywhere between negative 0.5 and negative 1.0, for optimum handling and acceptable tire wear. Anything up to negative 1.5 degrees will still give more than decent tire wear. Negative camber beyond negative 2 degrees is not recommended unless you have some specific reason for doing so. The best way to determine if you need to correct your camber beyond the factory adjustments is to have your current alignment specifications checked.

Additional notes on tire wear: Many shops will automatically tell you that you need a camber correction kit as soon as they see the inside or outside edges of your front tires wearing prematurely. These people usually have no idea what they are talking about, as they don't bother to check your alignment specifications before giving this advice, and even more so, they tell you this after doing your alignment and setting your front camber to the negative 1.5 degrees or less (as mentioned above).

Lexus vehicles are notorious for premature front tire wear, and we have concluded that this is due to worn control arm bushings. The bushings may appear to be ok, and even pass the quick "prybar test," but once your Lexus reaches 50-60,000 miles, you will definitely notice the effects of this wear. If your steering is not as stable as it used to be on the freeway, you are having odd vibrations at higher speeds, or your Lexus is a little unstable during hard braking, you probably have some worn out control arm bushings. The GS chassis is especially susceptible to this syndrome, and more often than not, a front control arm bushing service will eliminate any tire wear issues completely.
//unquote//
Old 07-27-09, 06:23 PM
4play4dr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id say get an alignment..ur toe might be out of spec
Old 07-28-09, 12:21 AM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

If your caster arm bushings are bad, your toe will always be out of spec.
Old 07-28-09, 12:37 AM
KNEXX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 4play4dr
id say get an alignment..ur toe might be out of spec
definitely toe... I assume camber at first when my rears worn down like this. Get an alignment and have no worries man!
Old 07-28-09, 05:28 AM
GSTYLIN
Rookie

Default Thanks

Hey guys,

thanks a lot for the info. Just thinking if I should just change the bushings and get an alignment. I mean, might as well instead of trying to correct one problem to find out its another.

'Caster bushings' - same as control arm bushings or different?

I will keep you guys posted on this ..

any other feedback info is appreciated.
Old 07-28-09, 07:25 AM
esolo98
Advanced

If you havent done the bushings, it wouldnt hurt to get them done.
Old 07-28-09, 08:22 AM
GSTYLIN
Rookie

Default bushings

That's what I was thinking. Can't really hurt to do them anyways.

Any suggestions on bushings or just go stock replacement?
Old 07-28-09, 09:48 AM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KNEXX
definitely toe... I assume camber at first when my rears worn down like this. Get an alignment and have no worries man!
+1..... asap
Old 07-28-09, 01:20 PM
GSTYLIN
Rookie

Default alignment

Anything special i should be watching out for when getting an alignment, some special correction i have to do ?

We all know how mechanics and all these ppl are... so as much as I can tell them that would be great.
Old 07-29-09, 08:44 AM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your castor bushing is out. there's no point getting an alignment now unless it's from firestone and it's lifetime alignment.