GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Megan vs. Ksport coikovers

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-09, 05:10 PM
GCOP
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TomLee
Falken 452 Off road adventure? Sounds like death. I can barely keep them in round on road LOL
no doubt.......it was a reference to this

Originally Posted by Rides Low
car looks good! How do you like the ride so far

PM me for KSport price quotes!
Thats a "before" photo. I won't do the KSport install until Tuesday or so. There are some other things that need to be taken care of as well.....
Old 08-08-09, 03:38 PM
takashi
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO I wouldve went with the Megans. Only heard of negative comments on them for ae86 application. Really bad comments that is.
Well I guess it was for a totally different car so can't really judge the two.
But I've been happy with my Megan set up. You can slam the heck out of'em and retain better than stock ride.
Old 08-08-09, 06:39 PM
GCOP
Driver

Originally Posted by takashi
IMO I wouldve went with the Megans. Only heard of negative comments on them for ae86 application. Really bad comments that is.
Well I guess it was for a totally different car so can't really judge the two.
But I've been happy with my Megan set up. You can slam the heck out of'em and retain better than stock ride.
Other than the one negative, and the fact that you own the Megans, what would you say are the advantages of the Megans over the KSports?
Old 08-08-09, 10:07 PM
skpark70
Lexus Champion

Can't wait see the installed pics....
Old 08-14-09, 11:23 AM
lamw001
Rookie

Any pictures and review yet? Thx
Old 09-03-09, 10:46 AM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I might be getting some Ksports off of a member. I need to know what you think of them. Any pics at all? If so can you post them and give us a brief review on them.

thanks
Old 09-03-09, 11:30 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

keep in mind.. Ksport should be black bodied now.. i read in D-sport mag that the newer version of their shocks are black.. rather than orange.
Old 09-03-09, 05:15 PM
Rides Low
Former Sponsor

Also, the newer black bodied struts have been increased in diameter by 8%, making the internals stronger and longer lasting. Just some food for thought, KSport is really trying to come back strong from the place they once were.

For quotes, PM me, I have the best prices, period.

Chris

Last edited by Rides Low; 09-03-09 at 05:21 PM.
Old 09-04-09, 02:29 AM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

from having megans... its treated me so far so good into 10k without any problems, knowing that our 2gs has a fricken UCA problem. (i need to cut a whole for it haha, hate being slammed) .. other than that, being said its good for da bucks ive spent... not to hate on Rides Low since he sells ksport, but its just my opinion.... i have nothing again ksport since this is my only set ive went wid for my 1st set of coilovers...I have respect to every vendor on here... i just bought a set of RCA from Exact... very nice people and with a great hook up thanks to GLEN.... this site makes me do so much homework i ever do in schoool lol... its redicilous haha but GL on what you choose also check out my other thread.. Search :Who has megan coilover on their 2GS
Old 09-04-09, 07:30 AM
projectsle
Driver School Candidate

just so you know, Stance coilovers for the gs3 doesn't come with the camber adjustment either. Sucks. Ride is real smooth those
Old 09-04-09, 10:51 AM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the input guys.

I needed to know how hard is it to adjust the height on the Ksport coils?

Is it a pain to do? Also, what is ride quality on the newer ones, I did read on a previous post someone said it rides very smooth and not harsh at all.

Anyone second that?
Old 09-04-09, 12:49 PM
Rides Low
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by GS300ToM
from having megans... its treated me so far so good into 10k without any problems, knowing that our 2gs has a fricken UCA problem. (i need to cut a whole for it haha, hate being slammed) .. other than that, being said its good for da bucks ive spent... not to hate on Rides Low since he sells ksport, but its just my opinion.... i have nothing again ksport since this is my only set ive went wid for my 1st set of coilovers...I have respect to every vendor on here... i just bought a set of RCA from Exact... very nice people and with a great hook up thanks to GLEN.... this site makes me do so much homework i ever do in schoool lol... its redicilous haha but GL on what you choose also check out my other thread.. Search :Who has megan coilover on their 2GS
No hate taken, you're alright in my book LOL.

Originally Posted by projectsle
just so you know, Stance coilovers for the gs3 doesn't come with the camber adjustment either. Sucks. Ride is real smooth those
There are no coilovers with camber adjustment for the GS. The suspension doesnt work like that.

Originally Posted by nanotech
Thanks for the input guys.

I needed to know how hard is it to adjust the height on the Ksport coils?

Is it a pain to do? Also, what is ride quality on the newer ones, I did read on a previous post someone said it rides very smooth and not harsh at all.

Anyone second that?
To adjust the ride height, you have to remove the wheel and two bolts, about 10-15 minutes per side. Adjustment is done from the bottom of the strut, not the spring ()

The ride is nice and really doesn't get worse the lower you go.
Old 09-04-09, 03:26 PM
GCOP
Driver

So far so good on the KSports. I wanted to give them some drive time to get a good impression of them before posting. The install, as you would expect is straight forward, no issues.

I was out for a firm ride, not stock…KSport delivers. I rode around for a bit with the max rebound I loved it…LOL but common sense won out and I went -2 rear, -3 front. It’s a very good compromise ride vs. performance. The car is down pretty far, but not tucked in, that was not the look I wanted. The alignment stayed in factory spec, although it is right on the upper camber limit, but again, it IS there.

Even on the stiff side, the ride is tolerable. I may take the car up a little bit, as the springs have settled in a little. I am getting the occasional rub, which I personally can’t stand, but it is what it is. 

I am digging the performance. According to the vehicle dynamics monitor, the car was able to generate a little more than 1.00 G lat. Granted this unscientific, but bone stock with the original suspension, it was never more than about .6G lat. So literally about 50% over stock (worn out stock, but stock).

The height adjustment is a little tedious, but not bad enough to really complain about. Chris is right ( rides low ) the ride does not change if you go lower. The length of the tubs is adjusted, so the spring rate is unchanged. You can clamp down on the springs a bit to really firm it up, which I did. KSport said, no more than 2 complete turns, I’m at a little more than one.
So thumbs up to the KSports for install, ride, performance, and factory alignment specs.

Thumbs down to the wheel removal for adjustment in the ride height. I know this is a common design across the board. It also seems like the adjustment in dampening is not as graded as it should be, it goes from stiff to soft to quickly IMHO. This may be a break in thing, I’m not sure.
All in all, I would buy them again. The car looks like I want it to, rides like I want it to, and the performance I am satisfied with. The good side far outweighs the little shortcomings, none of which are too significant.

On the sales end of things, Chris was a big help, it looks like he still giving out the same good service. KSport factory support was good as well. We had a question or 2 about the setup after the install, they were right on the money.
Old 09-04-09, 07:15 PM
SoloKaMGS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i will never change my suspension Megan LP for the win. i ride so nice man i dont even feel any bumps on the road and im only 1/2 way down wish i can tuck and body slam
Old 09-04-09, 07:26 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GCOP
So far so good on the KSports. I wanted to give them some drive time to get a good impression of them before posting. The install, as you would expect is straight forward, no issues.

I was out for a firm ride, not stock…KSport delivers. I rode around for a bit with the max rebound I loved it…LOL but common sense won out and I went -2 rear, -3 front. It’s a very good compromise ride vs. performance. The car is down pretty far, but not tucked in, that was not the look I wanted. The alignment stayed in factory spec, although it is right on the upper camber limit, but again, it IS there.

Even on the stiff side, the ride is tolerable. I may take the car up a little bit, as the springs have settled in a little. I am getting the occasional rub, which I personally can’t stand, but it is what it is. 

I am digging the performance. According to the vehicle dynamics monitor, the car was able to generate a little more than 1.00 G lat. Granted this unscientific, but bone stock with the original suspension, it was never more than about .6G lat. So literally about 50% over stock (worn out stock, but stock).

The height adjustment is a little tedious, but not bad enough to really complain about. Chris is right ( rides low ) the ride does not change if you go lower. The length of the tubs is adjusted, so the spring rate is unchanged. You can clamp down on the springs a bit to really firm it up, which I did. KSport said, no more than 2 complete turns, I’m at a little more than one.
So thumbs up to the KSports for install, ride, performance, and factory alignment specs.

Thumbs down to the wheel removal for adjustment in the ride height. I know this is a common design across the board. It also seems like the adjustment in dampening is not as graded as it should be, it goes from stiff to soft to quickly IMHO. This may be a break in thing, I’m not sure.
All in all, I would buy them again. The car looks like I want it to, rides like I want it to, and the performance I am satisfied with. The good side far outweighs the little shortcomings, none of which are too significant.

On the sales end of things, Chris was a big help, it looks like he still giving out the same good service. KSport factory support was good as well. We had a question or 2 about the setup after the install, they were right on the money.
Good feedback, have you had any other coils before to compare them to

Quick Reply: Megan vs. Ksport coikovers