GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS430 Catyltic Converter

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-09, 10:20 AM
JW117
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS430 Catyltic Converter

I have an 02GS430 that will not pass emissions. Shop is saying its the catyltic converters (up front off manifold) and they are not cheap. I was informed that there are few aftermarket cats and that they dont last and to stay oem. Anyone heard of or used a good aftermarket cat? Any imput would be great!!
Old 07-30-09, 10:36 AM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

them aftermarket wont last... 4 month tops and yyoure gonna be back at it again... post in classified section for WTB: CAT
Old 07-30-09, 01:10 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 109 Likes on 85 Posts

Show me the smog results and I can help you out...
Old 07-30-09, 01:39 PM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I think they are lifetime cats, maybe other reasons for it.
Old 07-30-09, 02:34 PM
JW117
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the imput. The test results show P0420 & P0430 (Catalyst Sys Efficncy Below Threshold Bank 1 & 2. I bought the car a week ago. Their is an exhaust leak coming from the right side of car, but wanted to at least get a tag before taking to shop. THe previous owner stated he used middle grade fuel when I asked if he ran prem fuel. As for GS4 Fiend, those are the only results I see on my test sheet. I have had an ES300 for years with no problems, so this bothers me. Also, the sheet says "MIL CMD" FAIL
Old 07-30-09, 04:29 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

There is no emission testing? If you are just concerned about the CEL, I would fix the exhaust leak first, reset the ECU. Drive it for about a week. If it's off, then great. If not, I would change the post 02 Sensors, the one's the goes on the back of the cats. It had worked for many of my customers that I recommended to. GL.

Last edited by GS4_Fiend; 07-30-09 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-30-09, 06:32 PM
everest81
Driver School Candidate

I was in a similar situation. I had failed the emissions because the guy just saw the CEL on and ran the code to see what it was. I had the code reset for free at a dealership, drove around for 150 miles or so and took it back for emissions and it passed. Of course CEL wasn;t bback yet in 150 miles...but i knew sooner or later it will be back on. So to buy urself more time and get tags, do that first and see if it works. After that, as otehrs suggest, try with post O2 sensors and all that stuff....although in my I did have to change the cats all together after driving in that condition for few months, i saw the condition got worse, started losing power and all...
Old 07-31-09, 06:01 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

I would not mess with the cats, that is too expensive and you really can't buy anything aftermarket. Replace the rear o2 sensors, but when you do that, you might have to change the fronts too. I always recommend that people do all 4 at the same time.
Old 07-31-09, 08:34 AM
JW117
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the help, whats odd is there in NO check engine light on. Just an exhaust leak you can hear, but it did fail emissions. When I tested the car I drove it maybe 1/2 mile from sitting in the garage all night and right into the emissions place. THe car hardly had a chance to warm up to normal operating temp. The guy testing the car said it would make not matter either way. Would this effect the test?
Old 07-31-09, 08:56 AM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

I thought that driving it around heats up the catalyist and its supposed to obtain better results? I don't know anything about emissions stuff.
Old 07-31-09, 09:52 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rippaflow
I thought that driving it around heats up the catalyist and its supposed to obtain better results? I don't know anything about emissions stuff.
You are correct. A not fully warmed up car should not pass the emissions test.
Old 07-31-09, 11:26 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JW117
Thanks for the help, whats odd is there in NO check engine light on. Just an exhaust leak you can hear, but it did fail emissions. When I tested the car I drove it maybe 1/2 mile from sitting in the garage all night and right into the emissions place. THe car hardly had a chance to warm up to normal operating temp. The guy testing the car said it would make not matter either way. Would this effect the test?
You told us you had a code for cat, failed for CEL. And I ask you what were the test results and you said it failed because there was a code. Now you tell us you failed for emissions?? So what does the Vehicle Inspection Report says?

Last edited by GS4_Fiend; 07-31-09 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-31-09, 02:30 PM
JW117
Driver School Candidate

There is no check engine light on. The car did fail emissions. On the Emissions Inspection Report Sheet given to me in the "test results" section it says:
RPM= 767
KOEO=PASS
READINESS=PASS
MIL CMD=FAIL
CODES READ=2
DLC=PASS
DTC1=PO420 Catalyst Sys Efficency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
DTC2=Po430 Catalyst Sys Efficency Below Threshold (Bank 2)
Maybe the previous owner took the bulb out of the CEL knowing there was a prob? I will first try fixing the leak and running the car again hot. Then O2's as you all have recomended, then new cats. You all have been a great help. Glad I joined this forum!!!
Old 07-31-09, 06:33 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
There is no emission testing? If you are just concerned about the CEL, I would fix the exhaust leak first, reset the ECU. Drive it for about a week. If it's off, then great. If not, I would change the post 02 Sensors, the one's the goes on the back of the cats. It had worked for many of my customers that I recommended to. GL.
I agree with GS4. First check to see if your check engine light works. It would come one when you first turn the key and then goes back out. Fix the exhaust leak. Reset computer, (removing battery cable or scanner). Drive it for a week. See if everything is okay. Before going to another emission test, drive around for about 10-20 miles for a good warm up.

In regards to aftermarket cats, I know my mech at lexus had recommended a few aftermarke name brands ones that are good. The OEs are very expensive, between $800-1200. I know I got quoted $900 from the dealer on cats for a SC400. Good Luck with everything.
Old 07-31-09, 09:40 PM
JW117
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Nate. You may be on to something. No CEL came on when turning key on so I held a flashlight up to the cluster and saw where the CEL should be on. I saw evidence where the previous owner had had a piece of tape covering the light. Maybe it burned out or maybe he took the bulb out. So, there should have been a CEL on and I never should have tested "emissions" the car in the first place. The exhaust leak is a fluttering noise coming from the right side. I guess I need to get the car on a lift and pinpoint the leak, then fix it. Would you still start with new O2's? Has anyone heard such a noise? It is obvious this has been a long time prob the prev owner has ignored. Not a good sign

Quick Reply: GS430 Catyltic Converter