GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-02, 03:17 PM
JYOO

Default Oil Change

I just called the Lexus dealer and they said they charge 54 bucks for an oil change??? Does that sound right? How much do yall pay? Should I just take it to the Acura dealer they charge like 20 bucks, includes a wash and vacuum, and they encourage me to bring my car in!
Old 04-09-02, 03:27 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Much has been made of the labor charge at Lexus dealerships and it is high. Whether I'd take it to an Acura dealership is another matter entirely; certainly the Acura dealership won't be giving you a free loaner.
Old 04-09-02, 03:44 PM
JYOO

Why would i need a loaner for an oil change?
Old 04-09-02, 04:39 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by JYOO
Lexus may need your car 1/2 day at least. They will tell you to drop off the car and pick it back up 4 hrs. later. On some occasions they will give you a loaner Lexus for free. It all depends on the dealership. Some are very busy and need your car 4hr's while others can do an oil change right away while you wait.
Old 04-09-02, 04:42 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Default One more thing

I pay about $50 at Jiffy Lube to do my oil change with Mobil One. That includes a full inspection of fluids, air, vaccum, and windows.
Old 04-10-02, 12:13 AM
itsallgood
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why not DIY?
Old 04-10-02, 02:18 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

You don't, if you want to wait. But I was merely making the point (poorly, though) that all that "free" stuff (loaner, coffee, donuts, etc) isn't really free.
Old 04-10-02, 06:25 AM
ap0718
Lead Lap

How many quarts does the GS400 engine take???
Old 04-10-02, 06:41 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default Jiffy Lube???!!!

Guys,

my friend here at work had a MAJOR issue with Jiffy Lube a few months ago...I don' t know that I'd ever go to them.

Apparently when they were filling the oil resevoir, they didn't tighten the nozzle on their oil pump/gun...it shot off into the engine. Did I mention it is an Olds Aurora with the Northstar V-8. ANyway, luckily they didn't do anything stupid like try and start the car, but they gave him all kinds of ***** about they'll tow it to the Exxon station down the street and have him take the valve covers off and get the nozzle out. OT make a long story short, my friend was like NO Way, take it to GM let them fix it. Jiffy Lube said no. Anyway he had them take it to GM and pay for a loaner (GEO Metro) for a week, and then they didn't want to pay for the repair. They started with the B/S about ASE certified mechanics at the Exxon Station, but let's be honest here any of you guys letting an Exxon gas station open up the LEx engines...I didn't think so. He actually had to take them to Court to get his money back...still waiting for the decision, but it doesn;t look good..apparently the judge/arbitrator didn't know jack about cars or understand the significance of a Northstar engine. Funny thing about it was that Jiffy Lube had a "service contract" with this Exxon place...makes you wonder how many screwups they've had to fix..even worse was that the Jiffy Lube place was inside a Sears Auto Center with about 20 ASE certified mechanics within earshot. I'd stay as far away from Jiffy Lube as humanly possible.
Old 04-10-02, 07:20 AM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

:eek: Having second thoughts......
Old 04-10-02, 11:18 AM
LexRoc
Lead Lap

I bought my CPO GS3 in Nov 01, and the first oil change was on the house. I was like WTF when I saw that they charge $52 bucks for an oil change.
I am also fortunate that my company provides me with a company car that I take to Jiffy Lube. Let me tell you, dont take your beautiful rides there. They are schmucks. One time on my company car, a "tech" put oil where you would add power steering fluid. He was jamming his finger in there saying "Why aint this be going down?" I couldnt beleive my eyes..thankfully it was my company car. Another time, I took my Mustang to Mavis Discount Tire, where I bought alot of tires and a set of rims for my wifes car. They do oil changes there too. I got into talking with the manager and to make a long story short, when I was walking to my car after an oil change, I see the back bumper all scuffed up, and the car next to me had the paint all chipped off the back bumper. The idiot backed my car into some other customers...it gets worse..after they told me they were going to repair it, I leave.....as Im pulling out of the lot, my oil light is on....I check it...BONE DRY. Im usually a pretty low keyed reserved guy, but I lost it. Anyway, sorry for rambling, Im sure there are plenty more horror stories out there, but for the extra bucks it takes, you are better off having it done by Lexus. As Lexus owners, if we wanted cheap, we wouldnt have bought our beautiful Lexuses.

ROB
Old 04-10-02, 01:23 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default Jiffy Lube UPDATE

Well my buddy got his court decision...no explanation just an award of $230, the price the Exxon station would've charged Jiffy Lube to do the repair...not the $600 he paid to GM. The CT legal system is crap. In NY it is insurance law that you are allowed to take your vehicle to the repair shop of your choice...I can't believe that the jusge was so blind to what really went on...don't you suppose if it was her BMW that they did it to she'd want them to have BMW fix the car...what horse*****. On top of it I can't believe that Jiffy Lube was arguing over a lousy $400 bucks.
Old 04-10-02, 01:51 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There will always be a low-baller out there, no matter what the service:

Auto work
Plumber
Electrician
Consultant

Changing oil is not rocket science in the least, but you still usually get what you pay for when it comes to things that really matter.

I don't even consider taking my GS anywhere but the dealer, and I even take my own Mobil1 oil and filter. They treat me and my GS very well, I have a loaner if I decide I need one, and the costs are offset when I bring in my own products; to summarize, customer service is king.
Old 04-10-02, 01:53 PM
JYOO

Yeah i was just wondering for 50+ bucks they must do something special, but i guess not, I guess Ill just take my car where I bought it from.
Old 04-10-02, 02:08 PM
LexFather

Would ya'll like DIY pics, I took some the last time I changed my GS4's oil.

Quick Reply: Oil Change