GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Keyed door, any suggestions???

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-02, 08:46 PM
Twiggy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keyed door, any suggestions???

Hey Everyone!

Something ******TY happend to me today, had my car keyed!!! Noticed it on my way outta work WTF! Anyhows, the scratch is about a foot and a half across part of the front passenger door and fender. Fairly deep, enough for me to notice right away. Don't have a pic tho! Any advice on what I could do or use to remove this scratch myself??? Or is it a better idea to have this taken care of by a body shop??? Estimates on cost??? Any suggestions would be great!

Twiggy
Old 04-09-02, 11:18 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

twiggy,

def feel pain... if this were to happen to me, i would get some vacation days, park the car in the same place, and try to "catch the guy and KEY their face and some other body parts"...

from your description, i would suggesta good body shop. they run ~$200-300/body panel. i have low insurance deductable, so it would be covered.

there are only so much one can to do "baby" their ride... :eek: ..i could write a book on finding that perfect parking spot.
Old 04-10-02, 04:49 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Hearing about this kind of crap just pisses me off, and I feel bad for anyone that has to go through it. Depending upon your level of Do-It-Yourself-ness (is that even a word?), you could tackle the job yourself, but it will take time and patience given your description of the scratch. If you decide to try it, here is a link that might help you;
How to fix a paint chip
Old 04-10-02, 05:52 AM
ezlyf
Driver

Sorry to hear about that. I went throught a similar experience like that a year ago with one exception. The jackass that keyed my car redefined "bumper to bumper". Well anyway, I do sympathize with your situation and I also agree with the other CL member's suggestions to get it fixed by a body shop. there's really no way of fixing a deep scratch to make it unnoticable to the naked eye, especially if you have a dark colored car.

Oh, one more thing, dont take anymore time off work to aggrivate yourself about catching the culprit. I did that, and all that happned was a lost days work for nothing.
Old 04-10-02, 10:34 AM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

Twiggy let me know if you need a good bodyshop in bayarea.. guess your tint schedule is put to later.. = P

I had my car keyed half year ago, it was so cheap, and it made me so mad cuz some other moron's jealousy ended up making me to suffer. That's just not rite. Will you know dont you = ).
Old 04-10-02, 10:44 AM
NVMYGS3
Lead Lap

have you tried Airbrushing? They airbrush just the keyed areas (sorry) and don't have to strip and repaint the entire panel. For flat colored cars (not metallic silver) they say it's close to perfect.

www.dingking.com
Old 04-10-02, 11:38 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gsi,

oh yah...remeber the look on my face when i saw the wound on your brand new GS430, BLK????

hope you like your new 20" WORK Equips...
Old 04-10-02, 12:59 PM
Twiggy
Driver School Candidate

Hey Guys!
Thanks for the suggestions, all very helpful. I called the insurance company and my comprehensive deductible is a grand! I guess thats one of the reasons my insurance is pretty low. Anyhows, not sure what I'm going to do. Still really PI$$ED!!!!!! Especially since this is my first car bought with my own money!

hey gs4will, i guess its a good thing ur friend is not in town this weekend to do the tint, don't think i'd be in the mood to go down to LA this weekend.

gsintensive could u give me the info on the body shop u said u would recommend, that'd be great.

Thanks!
Old 04-10-02, 06:30 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by mumbles
Hearing about this kind of crap just pisses me off, and I feel bad for anyone that has to go through it. Depending upon your level of Do-It-Yourself-ness (is that even a word?), you could tackle the job yourself, but it will take time and patience given your description of the scratch. If you decide to try it, here is a link that might help you;
How to fix a paint chip
Thanks for the link! Has anyone personally tried this?

I'm wondering if I could spend the next 4 years covering the rock chips from my greddy lip spoiler.
Old 04-10-02, 06:32 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Twiggy
Hey Guys!
Thanks for the suggestions, all very helpful. I called the insurance company and my comprehensive deductible is a grand! I guess thats one of the reasons my insurance is pretty low. Anyhows, not sure what I'm going to do. Still really PI$$ED!!!!!! Especially since this is my first car bought with my own money!

hey gs4will, i guess its a good thing ur friend is not in town this weekend to do the tint, don't think i'd be in the mood to go down to LA this weekend.

gsintensive could u give me the info on the body shop u said u would recommend, that'd be great.

Thanks!
What percentage insurance do you think you save by having a 1000 deductible? I currently have a $500 deductible, what percent can I save on my insurance if I increase my deductible to $1000? Anyone wants to venture a guess? I live in NJ.
Old 04-11-02, 05:35 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by GS4fun

Thanks for the link! Has anyone personally tried this?

I'm wondering if I could spend the next 4 years covering the rock chips from my greddy lip spoiler.
I've done modified versions of it, and its just very time consuming to get it right... then again, I'm real **** about rock chips, swirls etc, so I probably spend more time than I need to