GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Some cool things you need to know about your GS

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-02, 11:53 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Some cool things you need to know about your GS

I met up with xsuperjoex today in NJ. He knows everything there is too know about the GS. He showed me a few tricks that I never knew about the car. They are listed on the bottom. Also, we went on a small test drive and he really showed me how to drive the car and how to get the best launch off the line. Thanks Joe for all your help!

All these things have been pointed out by xsuperjoex, so he gets all the credit.

1. Hold the unlock button down for more than 5 seconds and it opens up all the windows and sunroof. This can also be accomplished by putting the key in the keylock and turning the key to the right and holding it there for about 5 seconds.tooopen all windows and left to close all windows and sunroof.

2. Driver and passenger side visor can be turned toward the door window to block light from coming in. But in addition it can be extended an additional 6 inches by pulling it towards you.

3. Steering wheel can be lowered even more by holding the down button for about 6 seconds or something like that. Joe you might need to shed more light on that.

4. In the glove box, you can get to the Air conditioner filter and clean it out. You can remove the panel by pulling it straight out and than slide out the A/C filter. I could not believe how dirty and filthy my filter was and I was breathing all that ****** when the AC was on.

5. When giving the car to a valet, you can insert the key into the lock and lock it. But you can also lock it without the key. Just push the lock in and the trunk locks itself. To unlock it you would need to use the key.

6. Cup holders are located in the back of the GS when pulling down the armrest. – I think most us know this one.
Old 04-10-02, 12:03 PM
JacobT

All these were listed in the user's manual. I was so surprised that you never know anything about these features

Let me add another, when start up your GS eqiuped with DRL, if the parking brake was applied, the DRL won't turn on untill you release the parking brake. This is something that never been mentioned in the user's manual
Old 04-10-02, 12:23 PM
TexastyleGS4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried the steering wheel thing and it did not lower any more. Anyone else know anything about this?
Old 04-10-02, 02:17 PM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

I tried that steering wheel thing too and it didn't work, u have to do it six times maybe? lol let us know when u find out. to add another thing that wasn't mentioned, hold the " AUTO " button till it beeps, which should be around three seconds, and u can raise or lower the sensitivity of the smog sensor, if u have the navigation, it'll appear on the screen, if not then u'll see little numbers where your CD and track numbers appear I believe, anyone else know anymore tricks for the GS? Oo one more, i didn't find this till recently but most of u may probably know this, it's nothing big but there is a vent right underneath the steering wheel that u can face towards ur b@lls if it's a Hot summer day, haha

ShOwGS
Old 04-10-02, 02:21 PM
LEXter
Driver School Candidate

another thing on GS is that the VSC on the GS is turn on everytime the car is start, even though the VSC was turned off before..........couldnt find it in the manual.....
Old 04-10-02, 03:17 PM
SADDLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for those tips guys, that will help me out when i get mine.

drew
Old 04-10-02, 03:20 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

heres one...

When you Put the car in "D" or drive...

The car goes forward! :eek:

heheh

for all those who dont know The "L" on the sportsShift/gateshifter ... the "L" is like your 1st gear...
Old 04-10-02, 03:41 PM
BrentX
Driver School Candidate

Default Door locks

Ok - I just got mine a couple of weeks ago and one of them I was on a cruise so bear with me.

- How do you program your remote and/or car to unlock all the doors at once vs. having to press twice. (first for drivers, second for remainder)?
Old 04-10-02, 03:43 PM
LexFather

Those are called C-best settings, the dealer has to change that.

BTW, welcome and COnrats!
Old 04-10-02, 03:49 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, Joe mentioned the C-best settings. Only the dealer can change these as it is done using a computer that hooks into the car. Depending on the dealership, they might or might not charge you to change these settings.
Old 04-10-02, 04:10 PM
BrentX
Driver School Candidate

Default followup

what else can be done with c-best settings?
Old 04-10-02, 04:12 PM
JYOO

Heres another, turn vsc off, brake torque to about 1500 RPMS, let go of the brake, floor it, VOILA, there will be a 50 foot skid mark from your left tire, and a cloud of smoke.
Old 04-10-02, 04:25 PM
BrentX
Driver School Candidate

Default LSD

why don't these cars come with LSD out of the box? Seems like a heavy car like this should have it standard.....
Old 04-10-02, 04:27 PM
mcnelson
Lexus Test Driver

Will the window trick work on a 94' Gs300? What other tricks are there for the gen 1?
Old 04-10-02, 04:29 PM
BrentX
Driver School Candidate

Default No word on speed

Your car looks pretty nice. How about some performance numbers with that turbo...

Quick Reply: Some cool things you need to know about your GS