GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How bad is stopleak for your radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-09, 01:49 AM
scooter58
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dave u back in vegas?
Old 08-11-09, 05:49 AM
Rick James
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.autodynamic.com/search_re...l=1&subcat=ALL
Old 08-11-09, 06:36 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yea stop leak might fix the radiator, but it might "fix" all your passeges in the engine. Don't do it at all, ever.
Old 08-13-09, 12:18 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Rippaflow
Don't do it. Every mechanic I've dealt with has said no.
see all these people bashing it but how many of you have ACTUALLY used it personally? i have....it worked fine on my es300 (about 2 months) until i did find a reasonable replacement radiator. but in the long run i dunno how it will work but for me short term it was fine
Old 08-13-09, 01:06 PM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 115 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by scooter58
dave u back in vegas?
ya im back
Old 08-13-09, 05:42 PM
sung35
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sakataj
see all these people bashing it but how many of you have ACTUALLY used it personally? i have....it worked fine on my es300 (about 2 months) until i did find a reasonable replacement radiator. but in the long run i dunno how it will work but for me short term it was fine
Long time ago, when I was young and no money. Radiator leaked. Stopleak thing was the best thing I could afford. Anyway, I used it. After few weeks or so, the car developed overheat problem. It still run then, but always overheat. The temperature gate reached "Hi" and stayed there. Water bubbled out from the reservoir. Filled water up every time I drive. So, advice to all, DON'T DO IT.
Old 08-17-09, 11:45 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sung35
Long time ago, when I was young and no money. Radiator leaked. Stopleak thing was the best thing I could afford. Anyway, I used it. After few weeks or so, the car developed overheat problem. It still run then, but always overheat. The temperature gate reached "Hi" and stayed there. Water bubbled out from the reservoir. Filled water up every time I drive. So, advice to all, DON'T DO IT.
as i said. i've personally used it without problems....i guess this is another of those things like the guys saying not to use the k&n air filter. and no sung im not referring to you....seems if you can read a box you can use these products if not you just recommend to people not to use something you personally have NEVER used
Old 08-17-09, 02:47 PM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
as i said. i've personally used it without problems....i guess this is another of those things like the guys saying not to use the k&n air filter. and no sung im not referring to you....seems if you can read a box you can use these products if not you just recommend to people not to use something you personally have NEVER used
I cannot speak on behalf of the K&N filter because I have used them in other cars and had good results, however I have never used Stopleak, but I have never personally seen or heard good results. You have to be one of the first people to report good things from this product. I have worked at a few shops, but when I worked at Toyota, we recommended most of the components be replaced. I have seen it a few times, you can tell when the system has been contaminated by this stuff, and at this point, it will consist of a heavy flush, and some hard work to remove this stuff once you've repaired your leak. Like I said, I will admit I have never put this stuff in my car, but that doesn't mean I haven't been around or worked with it. I just was trying to make my point that if you use this stuff, it will have unseen effects, might not be catastrophic, but then again why take the risk?
Old 08-17-09, 05:46 PM
augdogg
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe the stuff gummed up your thermostat idk...but after days of driving around and parking, i have not noticed any leakage from the radiator or drop in fluid. Must be a really slow leak...
Old 08-18-09, 12:51 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
I cannot speak on behalf of the K&N filter because I have used them in other cars and had good results, however I have never used Stopleak, but I have never personally seen or heard good results. You have to be one of the first people to report good things from this product. I have worked at a few shops, but when I worked at Toyota, we recommended most of the components be replaced. I have seen it a few times, you can tell when the system has been contaminated by this stuff, and at this point, it will consist of a heavy flush, and some hard work to remove this stuff once you've repaired your leak. Like I said, I will admit I have never put this stuff in my car, but that doesn't mean I haven't been around or worked with it. I just was trying to make my point that if you use this stuff, it will have unseen effects, might not be catastrophic, but then again why take the risk?
no, your right the RIGHT way is to replace the components. i just didnt as i couldnt find one when i was looking without spending a fortune on my es300 (as the old ones had the hydrolic fan assy included) so i patched it until i found a replacement and it worked fine for me till i did
Old 08-20-09, 07:42 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I can personally speak about both the K&N and the Stopleak.

Like someone above, I was young and no dough. My radiator started to leak. Stopleak was my dumb solution. Put a can of it it, it actually worked, I was really happy. Even though everyone was telling me not to do it. I was like why would they sell it if it didn't work. Yea, it worked to a point that it clogged up my passages in the block. About a month after it, I started to overheat every time I would stand still. You don't know how much it costs to have your cars coolant power flushed 6 times. After that, you can't immagine what started to leak in the engine. The hot spots warped the block. The flushing messed up the gaskets and whatever else it could. I was lucky I was upgrading my engine, and had one sitting around for a while.
I have seen it work, with supposed OK results too. I just know that it's not worth the risk on an expensive engine like this.

K&N, is just no good for our MAFs. 430s more so than 400s. Maf difference here. That electrode that we have on the GS430 Mafs, is very sensative and will collect that K&N oil easy. I have personally seen the electrode go from new to black in 3 weeks. Not just the tip, the entire thing. Upgraded to a dry filter, and 2 months now no problems, clean as a whistle.
Old 08-20-09, 10:09 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by slickgt1

K&N, is just no good for our MAFs. 430s more so than 400s. Maf difference here. That electrode that we have on the GS430 Mafs, is very sensative and will collect that K&N oil easy. I have personally seen the electrode go from new to black in 3 weeks. Not just the tip, the entire thing. Upgraded to a dry filter, and 2 months now no problems, clean as a whistle.
as i have said before and will say again 2 years on the k&n NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER! read and follow the paper directions and you'll have no issues
Old 08-20-09, 11:44 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Just get a cheap new aftermarket oem replacement. Save you on the long run. It should last you a couple of years