GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Sealed or Ported box sounds better in a 2GS???

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-09, 12:40 PM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sealed or Ported box sounds better in a 2GS???

Im boutta buy my friends two 10s JL w6 in a ported box with an diamond audio amp... sound koo in his tacoma but i wonder how it was sound in my car.. boutta buy some wires and junk later but just curious about the box.. any1 wanna chime in that has a ported or sealed box in the trunk

thanks
Old 08-08-09, 01:10 PM
AsGs300
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was always under the immpresion that a trunk would require a sealed box, and something like a tacoma, suv or hatch would need a ported box...? maybe im wrong, but hey who cares if its a good deal just buy it, plug and play , you can always get a sealed box later... however i would recomend going CUSTOM! sounds hella better!
Old 08-08-09, 02:21 PM
macsta
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont think it matters if you get ported or sealed box. It really matters what type of base you like coming from both. They both give out different "thump"
Old 08-08-09, 03:04 PM
swat1727
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by macsta
I dont think it matters if you get ported or sealed box. It really matters what type of base you like coming from both. They both give out different "thump"
interesting. wut's the difference. im thinking of getting a small sub in my car.
Old 08-08-09, 03:28 PM
TomLee
Lexus Champion

Sealed = Tighter bass
Old 08-08-09, 05:15 PM
YOO
Driver

different style boxes product different sounds. it really depends on what kind of music you "thump" to.

i listen to hip-hop/rap/pop/etc and i like to be able to hear all my mids/highs/lows. Therefore my bass signals must be "clean" and not overwhelming. im not like some people who try to rattle all the nuts and bolts off my car.so If my amp as plenty of power to push my subs, i'd go with a Sealed box.

In your case, i suggest you go with a sealed box. JL and Diamond audio strive at Sound Quality; therefore a sealed box would help produce the best SQ. plus, if you wanna "thump" the hell out of your brains........... trust me, you'll be able to if you can get the proper amount of power to those W6's.
Old 08-09-09, 12:59 AM
tonysgs300
Lead Lap

What you could look into doing later is running a port from your box up to where the stock sub was in the back baffel board, so the bass thumps are dumped in the inside of the car which = louder bass like trucks. Trucks are loud cause they have the cab of the truck, which acts like a trunk, we have a trunk that separates the SPL's from the woofers and the passengers. So Really you want loud heart thumping bass go with a ported box but then you better dynamt the **** out of your trunk to eliminate the rattle. but if you hard hitting but solid bass then go with a sealed box. Oh yeah if you get a sealed box it also wears the life of the woofer down faster than a ported box. The air has nowhere to go in a sealed box so thats alot of stress on a woofer.
Old 08-09-09, 05:47 AM
Damian@FI
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried both many times, ended up with a Sealed box for my Hertx 8" in the factory location in the boot (trunk) and bolted under the Parcel Shelf. Sealed with the 'face' of the sub facing upto the rear glass ftw imo.
Old 08-09-09, 11:15 AM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

ill see how the ported one goes or try to build one.....
Old 08-09-09, 11:40 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

Originally Posted by macsta
It's bass, and they don't give out a different "thump" - if designed properly. The advantage of a vented box is that it provides 3dB of added output with the same amount of power. If designed correctly with the port volume and box displacement, the woofer(s) will exert similar control levels, meaning the bass won't get muddy or boomy. Again - if it's built to the correct spec.

Originally Posted by YOO
different style boxes product different sounds. it really depends on what kind of music you "thump" to.
They reproduce sound, but if each is built correctly, they should sound similar - one will simply be louder.

Originally Posted by YOO
In your case, i suggest you go with a sealed box. JL and Diamond audio strive at Sound Quality; therefore a sealed box would help produce the best SQ. plus, if you wanna "thump" the hell out of your brains........... trust me, you'll be able to if you can get the proper amount of power to those W6's.
Both sealed and vented boxes can produce excellent SQ. The difference is that vented boxes require much, much specific enclosure designs and construction.

Originally Posted by tonysgs300
Oh yeah if you get a sealed box it also wears the life of the woofer down faster than a ported box. The air has nowhere to go in a sealed box so thats alot of stress on a woofer.
Nothing could be further from the truth. A sealed box will not shorten the life of a woofer. I have designed systems that are still working to this day, even after over 15 years of service. There are plenty of home speakers that are sealed designs from very high end companies, and they do not have failures due to being in a sealed enclosure. If anything, an improperly designed or misused/abused vented system will shorten a woofer's life with much more frequency than a sealed system. Why? Because once you go below the tuning frequency of the vent, the woofer is not being properly controlled by the amplifier. It is possible to overexcurt the woofer, leading to a failure when the voicecoil leaves the gap. Once that happens, it's very easy to toast the woofer. This is why it is extremely important to use a subsonic filter when running a vented box.

The bottom line: there is a reason why most amateurs who do not have access to the software and design tools should simply run a sealed box. If you want to run a vented custom enclosure, I would highly recommend contacting the manufacturer and build it to the specs for the exact woofer you have. Many of them will give you the numbers and specifications for free. Then, it's as simple as building it correctly.

Big Mack

Last edited by Big Mack; 08-09-09 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-09-09, 12:15 PM
young's 96
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

I would just try to build one like you said tom
Old 08-09-09, 01:05 PM
sjlexus408
Driver

sealed sounds cleaner if youre going with jl.i have 2 10w6v2 in the jl sealed box and it sounds very clean and fits perfectly right undwer the oem sub.
Old 08-09-09, 07:31 PM
frankjames
Driver

I don't know the specs on the JL W6. Some subs require ported and some sealed, or some u can use either. I'm running a single 12" Fosgate T112D4 in a custom ported box that sits up on that lil "shelf" in the trunk(this is a 2.5cu ft box for 1 sub!). I usually run 10's in either a sealed or bandpass but this hits hard and clean.
Old 08-09-09, 09:09 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Which W6s do you have? Old school v1 or newer v2?
Old 08-09-09, 11:54 PM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

v1.....................

Quick Reply: Sealed or Ported box sounds better in a 2GS???