GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

TRD STB Install.....not so easy

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-02, 09:56 AM
enginyr
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRD STB Install.....not so easy

Well first off, The Strut Tower Bar doesn't just fit right on. We had to jack both sides of the car up to flex the body close enough for the bar to fit. Then we put the bar on top of the plate/spacers that come with the car. HOOD WOULDN'T SHUT. Removed the spacers and tightend all the bolts in an outside to inside fasion.

My first recation is WOW.I really didn't notice how much flexing is going on until we installed it. Cornering improved atleast 30% even on 20's! This is an excellent way to get a firmer suspension on the corners without having to get coilovers. I think steve sells it for $180.

The only downside is I notice a little more vibration from the bumps in the freeway over 60 mph.

Now I'm thinking about getting a rear STB
Old 04-11-02, 10:15 AM
NVMYGS3
Lead Lap

Enginyr,

I'm so happy for you getting that STB on. I actually have the TRD STB brand new in my house just sitting there. I tried to mount it but somebody told me that I needed to buy spacers for it to work so It's been sitting there. I tried to just see how it looked like on my GS3 but your'e right, it doesn't even go on w/o needing a jack.

Anyway, my question is, did you need to put spacers on your car? I'm reading your notes and you didn't mention putting spacers in fact you mentioned taking the factory spacers off but not putting extra spacers off.

Is that so?
Old 04-11-02, 10:20 AM
enginyr
Banned

Originally posted by NVMYGS3
Enginyr,

I'm so happy for you getting that STB on. I actually have the TRD STB brand new in my house just sitting there. I tried to mount it but somebody told me that I needed to buy spacers for it to work so It's been sitting there. I tried to just see how it looked like on my GS3 but your'e right, it doesn't even go on w/o needing a jack.

Anyway, my question is, did you need to put spacers on your car? I'm reading your notes and you didn't mention putting spacers in fact you mentioned taking the factory spacers off but not putting extra spacers off.

Is that so?

Yes my spacers "came off". But I have the GS4 so things might be different.
Old 04-11-02, 10:37 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the TRD stb doesn't fit on GS300s. If you have spacers, then they'll clear the intake manifold but still not the engine cover. And also, your spacers need to be precise enough to clear the intake but not hitting the hood.

too much work for STB. Just get something that fits without needing spacers.
Old 04-11-02, 10:45 AM
NVMYGS3
Lead Lap

Thanks Globe-

I figured it was too big of a hassle that's why my TRD STB is still brand new in a box in my room in my house and I get to fistail everywhere hahahah. I'm waiting for the next UGO shipment to get in and ****** one up. Hopefully, it really fits perfectly like I've heard it does.

Regarding the TRD stb though, funny how everybody says it doesn't fit on the GS3. On the TRD box it says GS300/GS400 and luckily I have a 99 with no engine cover but man, why do they put GS300 when really, it only fits on the Aristo V300????

Weird
Old 04-11-02, 10:49 AM
enginyr
Banned

I would gladly take that STB off your hands. Come to the meet on friday. Maybe you'll find someone there to trade with?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=44479
Old 04-11-02, 11:07 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks Globe-

I figured it was too big of a hassle that's why my TRD STB is still brand new in a box in my room in my house and I get to fistail everywhere hahahah. I'm waiting for the next UGO shipment to get in and ****** one up. Hopefully, it really fits perfectly like I've heard it does.

Regarding the TRD stb though, funny how everybody says it doesn't fit on the GS3. On the TRD box it says GS300/GS400 and luckily I have a 99 with no engine cover but man, why do they put GS300 when really, it only fits on the Aristo V300????

Weird

because whoever makes those labels don't know that Aristo V300 isn't just any GS. The STB wasn't even designed for the GS400 (no GS400 in Japan), it's only luck that the engine clearance in the GS400 allows the STB to fit.

Who will want a V8 in Japan when you can have one of the most potentious L6 twin cam twin turbo engine in the world?
Old 04-11-02, 11:08 AM
enginyr
Banned

Originally posted by GlobeCLK

because whoever makes those labels don't know that Aristo V300 isn't just any GS. The STB wasn't even designed for the GS400 (no GS400 in Japan), it's only luck that the engine clearance in the GS400 allows the STB to fit.

Who will want a V8 in Japan when you can have one of the most potentious L6 twin cam twin turbo engine in the world?

What was it designed for?
Old 04-11-02, 11:16 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by enginyr

What was it designed for?
V300
Old 04-11-02, 11:16 AM
NVMYGS3
Lead Lap

Hi Enginyr,

I am thinking about going to the meet on Friday. It's just a pain cuz i'm coming in from Irvine and yikes, irvine to nortridge is a good 80 miles.

Anyway, if I can go, how much would you take the STB for? It's brand new, never mounted, and still in the box?
Old 04-11-02, 12:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,591 Posts
Default Re: TRD STB Install.....not so easy

Originally posted by enginyr
Then we put the bar on top of the plate/spacers that come with the car. HOOD WOULDN'T SHUT. Removed the spacers and tightend all the bolts in an outside to inside fasion.
Mine's on (my GS400) with the spacers on, and no problems... the hood closes no problem. Strange.
Old 04-11-02, 01:06 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I currently have mine on with spacers as well. I plan on removing the spacers. The TRD STB does not perfectly align right on top of the screws. I put mine on without lifting the car. Just mount the STB on one side and bang the stb with your palm toward the engine. It snaps right in no problems. I know it sounds weird, but just bang it with your palm or maybe a rubber mallet. Than just tighten it all up.
Old 04-11-02, 01:13 PM
enginyr
Banned

Hi Enginyr,

I am thinking about going to the meet on Friday. It's just a pain cuz i'm coming in from Irvine and yikes, irvine to nortridge is a good 80 miles.

Anyway, if I can go, how much would you take the STB for? It's brand new, never mounted, and still in the box?

I know where you got it and how much you paid. You paid a bit too much. That should give you an idication of what I'd pay.
Old 04-11-02, 01:24 PM
NVMYGS3
Lead Lap

...... sooooo secretive....lol

Everybody knows where I got it and how much I paid. $160 from Ethan from the unclaimed raffle drawing. I even know somebody who tried to offer him higher for it but he stuck to his integrity .

Anyway, It's on standby for tradein to Steve for a UGO when it gets in so I dont lose any $$$ for it cuz Steve's taking it back full price. It wasn't even for sale until you offered to buy it for me I'm not gonna take a loss on it so oh well- I know everybody wants to get a hold of one and I just wanted to make it convenient.

Nonetheless, IMO, $160 for it with notax and shipping necessary is a steal.

[/quote]
I know where you got it and how much you paid. You paid a bit too much. That should give you an idication of what I'd pay. [/quote]

Last edited by NVMYGS3; 04-11-02 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-11-02, 01:43 PM
enginyr
Banned

If you are comming up .....I'd stay away from the 101 and the 405....Try the 5 and 118 to get here faster.

Quick Reply: TRD STB Install.....not so easy