GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Test drove a G35

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-02, 11:59 PM
KINGLEX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the inside materials of the g35 and all other infiniti model is suspect

cheap cheap cheap
Old 04-24-02, 05:41 PM
glaze2001
Driver School Candidate

I think comparing a G35 to a Gs is not a equal comparison, but the G is very close the gs in many ways. The g35 is only a few inches shorter, and has 35 more horsepower than a gs300. But as similiar as the cars are in performance, and size, they are aimed at completely different markets. Lexus definatly goes for the luxury, and infiniti is leaning more and more to the sport. I also think its stupid to say that the IS is better, because its not. Both cars have their advantages, and their dis-advantages. Live with it. I did look at buying an IS when i was buying my g35, but their were certain things i didnt like about the IS (no rear seat room, dash, weaker engine). There are also things about the G35 that i dont like (orange gauges, cheap plastics, buttons instead of ****) But for me, the G35 won in an over mix of everything i wanted. I have to say though, i think that the IS wins hands down on the styling
Old 04-24-02, 06:35 PM
ap0718
Lead Lap

The G35 is geared directly towards the IS300. I went with a friend to test drive one the other day. For some strange reason he wanted to buy it!!! Oh well, it's his money. Anyways, I was impressed, but it's still a Infinity. And the ride is bumpy in the back seat.

The salesman had a comparison sheet and no where on there was a GS. They compared the car with the BMW 325, Lexus IS300, Mercedes C240, the Jaguar X-type, and the Acura CL-Type S. The guys big thing was the 260hp and the cost of less than 33,000. ****** that, I would still get a Lex
Old 04-25-02, 07:17 AM
TIKTIK11
Driver

Default Stop Hating

I am an avid lexus fan and will always love one, but Infiniti has done a marvelous job on the G35. The salesman took it to the limit and let us and let me tell you, its handles like a ****. I also sat in the back and loved the legroom and comfort. honestly, I would take it over an IS any day and look out for the COUPE.
Old 04-25-02, 07:39 AM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default G35

The G35 is a nice car definitely, and I was considering it (as well as the TL-Type S) before I test drove my GS430. Any sedan in the 6s is not bad in my book. One thing I noticed about Nissan/Infiniti cars is that the car never feels like its horsepower rating. I don't know if it's the tranny setup or inflated figures. The GS430 however definitely lets you know that there is 300 horse on tap!

On another note: I'm curious on the wait time for a G35 ..are they inflating the price over retail?
Old 04-25-02, 08:23 AM
ap0718
Lead Lap

Here in Florida, there is no wait time at all-----they have a whole fleet of them sitting at the dealership here---any color, any options!!!
Old 04-25-02, 05:27 PM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

I have to admit that the G35 coupe is going to be a one hot car by the way it looks on paper!

However, a 4 door sedan is still more practical for a family man
Old 04-30-02, 11:25 PM
concepts
Driver

Your G35 is a MAXIMA with a new front and back. Thats all I got to say (and a little boost in the engine, maybe none if I recall)
Old 05-01-02, 06:42 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Originally posted by concepts
Your G35 is a MAXIMA with a new front and back. Thats all I got to say (and a little boost in the engine, maybe none if I recall)
Wow...you DO realize how ignorant a statement that is, don't you? Please don't justify the people who say that the GS4 is a boosted Corolla with statements like this.

The engine is the same between the two (boosted 5hp and a 14lb-ft in the G35), but other than that the only things they have in common are...well...four wheels and four doors. For starters the Maxima is FWD and the G35 RWD. The distribution of weight is therefore completely different, as is the suspension setup.

If you don't like the car, that's cool, but don't make statements that are so completely wrong if "Thats all [you] got to say..."
Old 05-01-02, 03:59 PM
KKelly
Lead Lap

Some of you guys sound more snobby than any BMW owner (well, not more but just as bad).

Still, G35 is not a Lexus and will never be.
I can see that comment on any BMW board.

The G35 looks like a nice offering. However, what is it about Japanese car companies and their aversion to offering a car with a manual transmission? Something like 40+% of 325i's are bought with manual transmissions. If this is their target you would think they would offer it. Maybe they are only targeting 60% of the buyers. I know they will be offering it down the road but think about what they lose in marketing by waiting. I would bet the IS was permanently hurt by that decision. If you wanted a sports sedan with a manual, you simply crossed it off the list.

As for the power, many of these 260hp engines don't seem that impressive in the real world. They don't do much more than the 220hp 330i. My friend in his '91 M5 slaughtered an Acura CLS two times in a row the other day. The guy declined a third whupping when my friend asked him if he wanted to go again. The M5 has more power but is also a lot heavier. Sometimes I wonder how peaky their engines must be because you would think they are faster.
Old 05-01-02, 07:01 PM
LexFather

I'm with KKelly, all my expierice against the VQ engine has been a win by a solid car length WITH THE MANAUL. The auto is no where close.

I checked out the G35 at the Atlanta Auto show and it doesn't look that awful, but not sporty to me. The truck is pretty large and the hood did not wven have gas struts to hold it up (a black bar like on my old Sentra).

The interior is decent, but 1 size smaller than the GS, even with it's long wheelbase, I could not get to comfortable inside (I am 6'5. 225).

Seems like a nice car but it is flavor of the month, 2 years from now it will be forgotten.

The G35 coupe though is HOT, but has the same sedan interior.
Old 05-02-02, 06:33 AM
concepts
Driver

You are right. I spoke before getting all the facts.
I assumed the car was based on the Maxima platform especially with the same engine setup as the Maxima and what Infinity has previously done with the QX4, G20, etc models.

Originally posted by SCWells72

Wow...you DO realize how ignorant a statement that is, don't you? Please don't justify the people who say that the GS4 is a boosted Corolla with statements like this.

The engine is the same between the two (boosted 5hp and a 14lb-ft in the G35), but other than that the only things they have in common are...well...four wheels and four doors. For starters the Maxima is FWD and the G35 RWD. The distribution of weight is therefore completely different, as is the suspension setup.

If you don't like the car, that's cool, but don't make statements that are so completely wrong if "Thats all [you] got to say..."
Old 05-02-02, 12:37 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Originally posted by concepts
You are right. I spoke before getting all the facts.
I assumed the car was based on the Maxima platform especially with the same engine setup as the Maxima and what Infinity has previously done with the QX4, G20, etc models.
Fair enough, and thanks for the reply. I apologize if I came off like an ***, but on other forums I so often see people claiming that the IS300 and GS are gussied up versions of cars like the Corolla or the Avalon and using that as a reason to dismiss or fault them. I'd hate to see us (the ClubLexus members) doing the same thing.

Regards...

Last edited by SCWells72; 05-02-02 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-02-02, 06:44 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

The G35 is a very nice car and has great pick up... i like the rear seats that fold out and the electroluminecent lights like from the Altima... I test drove a white on white fully loaded with 18 anterras on it... very nice ride.
Old 05-02-02, 08:47 PM
jimxo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default G35 may even steal Camry sales

Have you seen the price of the XLE Camry, its over 30k. When the G35 offer's the 6-speed later this year you will be hard pressed to find any car to offer this much luxury and performance together for a 30k (without leather).

I'm still getting the GS430.

Last edited by jimxo; 05-02-02 at 08:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Test drove a G35