GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Test drove a G35

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-02, 11:08 AM
JacobT

Default Test drove a G35

My friend just bought a new Infinity G35 yesterday so we had a test run durning lunch today

Overall the G35 is pretty impressive compared to GS400. The interior is definitely a mid-size car. GS fells much bigger inside. THe power is smooth but the power band is higher than GS. It wouldn't spin the wheels no matter how hard I tried. For a GS4, you feel the explosive power from ~3000 rpm all the way to red but the G35, the power kicks in around 4000 rpm. Due to the TC stall speed, the launch from G35 is not as strong as GS4.

But I have to say the steering feel is mu..uch better than GS. The suspension of G35 is so tight almost no body roll compared to stock GS. There're several neat designs that Lexus can definite use for their cars. The whole inst. cluster moves with steering column when adjusting, the reclining back seat and the rolling air vent.

We also did a test run on the highway, from 0~80, GS4 had about a car lead on G35. I would say the G35 is definitely a good alternative to the Bimmer 3 serious or even better
Old 04-11-02, 01:49 PM
UTGS400
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

You are comparing a G35 to a GS when you should be comparing it to an IS.
Old 04-11-02, 02:00 PM
blue wax
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UTGS400

damn right bro.

wrong test
LOL
Old 04-11-02, 02:59 PM
TIKTIK11
Driver

Default yup

is 300
Old 04-11-02, 05:49 PM
SADDLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya, those cars are not even in the same class

drew
Old 04-11-02, 06:11 PM
Badman Forever
Lead Lap

yer right. the is wins in that battle too.
Old 04-11-02, 07:14 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Default here's a pic

just got back from japan and saw a bunch of cars. I did get to sit in the skyline r35 (g35 in USA) here's a few of pics
Attached Thumbnails Test drove a G35-r352.jpg  
Old 04-11-02, 07:17 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

I have the brochure on the car and it also comes with a CD. Looks don't seem to be up to par with previous skylines. But it is nice to have the additional 2 doors if you are a family man like me.
Attached Thumbnails Test drove a G35-r351.jpg  
Old 04-11-02, 07:18 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

sitting inside, the car felt more on the lines of the altezza but maybe kinda leaning to the ES300 size
Attached Thumbnails Test drove a G35-r353.jpg  
Old 04-11-02, 07:55 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the review. It's good to know.

Still, G35 is not a Lexus and will never be.
Old 04-12-02, 01:22 AM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by UTGS400
i must agree.. thanks for the comparison anyway,,i understand that you are comparing it with what you have...The GS is in another category and don't let your friend tell you any different
Old 04-12-02, 06:00 AM
JacobT

Thanks, 007,

I don't own a IS300, the only thing I can compare with is the GS.
I just want to say Nissan did a good job on the G35. I never put the G35 in the same league as GS
Old 04-13-02, 04:48 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Default I drove one today...comments

While I'm not actually shopping for a G35, I am a big fan of sport sedans. The specs on the G35 are quite compelling so I thought I'd see how they pan out in practice.

Here's my take on the car:

Exterior - The jury's still out, and of course this is purely subjective. The car looks REALLY sharp from some angles, and kind of weird from others. In that respect, it's quite similar to my GS430. All in all my opinion is positive, but not strikingly so.

Interior - Kind of plain, but this is also subjective. I prefer a wood and leather interior, and unfortunately that's not available (the wood at least) with the sport suspension package. I don't know that the materials seemed that cheap to me (as many have stated). They were on par with the TL that I had but not up to snuff with my GS or the Q45. The interior space is pretty good, though...much better than the IS300/3-series and very similar to the GS4/TL (except for shoulder room).

Dash - My wife drives a Z3, so I'm already accustomed to red gauges. My personal preference is electroluminescent a la Lexus or the Q45, but this wouldn't be a deal killer for me.

Engine - Of course a 260HP/260lb-ft VQ is an amazing engine, but I was actually dismayed at how little power there seemed to be off the line. There was absolutely no sensation of being pushed back into your seat on WOT acceleration (I didn't try to brake stand or anything, of course, just normal push the go pedal to the floor). Once you're up to speed the engine feels nice, but the overall stoplight racing feel is pretty lacking. The manual tranny should fix this.

Transmission - In auto mode it's fine...pretty standard. The manuamatic mode has its pros and cons. A pro is that it doesn't auto-shift first to second like (almost?) every other implementation does. Another is that it bounces off the redline instead of shifting for you. However, I strongly prefer manumatics that automatically take you back to first gear when you come to a complete stop, and this one doesn't. I kept having to tap down three or four times to launch the way I wanted to.

Handling - This is where the car shines. It handles as well as just about any sport sedan I've driven, including the IS300 and 3-series. The steering is precise, the steering wheel just about the right size and thickness, and there's very little body roll. A little more side-bolstering on the driver's seat would have been nice, though

Gadgets - The single biggest shock to me is that the memory system only controls the seat, not the mirrors. That's almost self-defeating! I can't believe they have such a limited implementation. I also don't like the placement of the power seat controls. There's nothing at all intuitive about how to adjust the seat at a glance. Instead you have to experiment until you really know them. The redundant media controls on the steering wheel are nice, but they really stand out (in a negative way) against the steering wheel. The pop-up navigation system and dual-zone climate control are nice at this price point.

My opinion is generally positive. Were I looking for myself, there might be some deal killers in there, particularly the memory system leaving out mirrors (Someone PLEASE correct me if this was just a fault with the car I drove!!! The dealer confirmed the lack of memory for the mirrors, though). I'll be interested to drive the manual tranny version later this year. All in all this is a great entry by Infiniti in the entry-level sport sedan market.
Old 04-13-02, 05:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

SCWells, thanks for the review. Sounds like the G35 is squarely aimed at the current BMW 3 series than the IS300. And also aimed at the Acura TL/TL-S. Both are 'near' luxury cars with great handling/performance but limited luxury features. I prefer the latest 3 series interior to the TL or the G35 though.

Changing subjects, people have ripped the IS300 interior, but I sat in one 2 days ago, actually a Sport Cross, and I don't think it's that bad. I think the guage cluster is too small and I don't like the nubby round dials for the climate control that much but other than that the seats are excellent, and the interior is pretty cool looking.

I think Lexus is going to step up the IS in coming years - many seem to forget this was Lexus FIRST entry in this segment and a great one. They leveraged their already successful Altezza so it didn't cost much, and they HAVE improved the interior since the first year - it now has center armrest, available (cool) nav system, etc.

But in the end, you basically get what you pay for. If I JUST wanted a hot handling car that was a load of fun, I'd probably get a Subaru WRX. Not luxurious for sure, but a ton of fun.

The GS400 I have provides a ton of luxury and with the mods I've made, a ton of performance/handling too. What I have blows away the much cheaper G35.
Old 04-14-02, 06:57 AM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by UTGS400
werd up

Quick Reply: Test drove a G35