GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Plaza Lexus killed my wheels!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-09, 03:19 PM
augdogg
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmmm, ima run outside right now and look at my wheels cuz i just got my car washed ther two days ago...
Old 08-10-09, 03:30 PM
Chancellor
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

never take your car into the stealership with after market wheels. They will either curb them or this will happen everytime. I know its a pain in the *** but if you take your car to Lexus put your stock wheels back on.

Iv heard this story so many times since I started buying Lexus's 5 years ago.

Good luck and Im sorry this happen to you.
Old 08-10-09, 05:08 PM
TonyHC
Driver

Usually, most owners who take very good care of their Lexus, take the time to wipe the car down and dry off the rims too. Im thinking maybe when the chemicals or soap used to wash the car didnt get wiped off right away or let it dry out somehow "stained" your rims.

It was a nice gesture for them to do that. For most of the Lexus owners it is. Im **** with my cars so I dont like to "air dry" my car or rims when I wash it. I have a bunch of terry cloth towels that I use to wipe the car and rims down. I only use each towel ONCE, and then it goes in the laundry.

Yes, I have about the same amount of "car wash" towel laundry to do as my normal clothes.....lol.

This is a tough call. The dealer didnt mean to do this to you. Most OEM Lexus rims wouldnt stain like yours did, otherwise they would have 100's of dissatisfied customers everyday that got their car washed.

Talk to anyone working on cars at a dealership.....they HATE aftermarket stuff. I know some Honda mechanics that used to mod their cars like crazy, but after working at the dealership, they see all the headache that goes along with it.

Im all for modding my cars. Most of them are. But just put yourself in their shoes and look at it from their perspective. They wash 100's of cars with no issues, and then the one with AFTERMARKET rims gets washed and now they have a complaint.

Im sorry this happened to you. How long did your car and rims sit outside drying before you picked it up? Or did you get your car and start driving without wiping down the rims?

Some food for thought. Good luck and I hope you come to a resolution.
Old 08-10-09, 05:42 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Try the metal polish and see if works . Can also give it a go with claybar or mr. clean magic eraser.
Otherwise check in the car detailing forum for other expert advice.
I agree with other posters, probably the acid or wheel cleaner they used.

You have to take some of blame since you're using aftermarket wheels that appears to not react well to the wheel cleaner, and maybe not coated like regular lexus wheels.

Hopefully you can save your wheels. If you do, stick on a thick layer of wheel wax/or other high durability/protective wax. And you should probably decline car washes from now on, and do them yourself.
Old 08-10-09, 10:34 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Depending on 2 factors you could be in for some real fun or be kinda screwed. If the wheels are polished then you can simply take a high speed buffer and get the mirror shine back. If the wheels are clear coated then it's going to suck big time. To get the mirror finish back, you will have to strip away ALL of the clear coat and then repolish the wheel. Also, I noticed that it looks like the rim is a 2 piece. If that's the case then disassembling the rim will make your polishing job MUCH easier.

I wish you best of luck, and if you were wondering...it's been about 2-3years now since I've gone to the dealership
Old 08-10-09, 11:50 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

send lexus corp and the dealership a link to this thread.

i always tell the dealership to not wash my car.

and the aftermarket wheel excuse is bullcrap. does that dealership sell aftermarket wheels? The Lexus dealership I frequent has one up on display. If so, ask them to soak that in the chemical and see what happens.
Old 08-11-09, 12:34 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

corp has nothing to do with a dealer and it washing a car, they will not do anything as it is not their responsibility.

You should have never let them wash a modified car, I have always stipulated that every time i take my cars in , VAC only nothing else. Its that simple.

Anyway , it is bare aluminum lips , the wheels are not damaged just have light acid etching , it is easy to take them out . Buy a power ball or black majic thin with some NXT metal polish and it is all gone in a few minutes . Nothing to get worried over.
Old 08-11-09, 08:29 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck
Old 08-11-09, 07:07 PM
tarnut77
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those are 2 piece wheels by Rays. If the barrels of the wheels are the same as the Volk GT's then they are anodized and not polished.
Old 08-11-09, 07:20 PM
bet-one
Driver School Candidate

that really sucks...
Old 08-11-09, 10:54 PM
frantinez
Pole Position

I would consider legal action. I agree with other posters that it appears they used an acid that ruined your wheels - dount they're fixable. I hope you know an attorney. If not, small claims court.

Eric
Old 08-11-09, 11:12 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like Brad Pitt did some project Project Mayhem on those...
Old 08-12-09, 01:46 AM
BlkOnChrom
Rookie

small claims court hommie
Old 08-12-09, 02:18 PM
YOO
Driver

legal action is the way to go. They wont take you seriously until you show them that their *** is on the line.

I used to work at Field's BMW as a car washer. I know exactly what kinda of acid dealers use to clean wheels. The washers are often lazy and depend on "tough" chemicals to do most of the cleaning work. I can say this, b/c that was me...

I think in your case, it was an isolated case of mis-use of chemicals. Washers are often warned that wheel chemicals are harsh and cant be left to bake on any surfaces. The wheel chemicals are so rough that it burns my hands when there is contact. We always used the chemical with extreme caution and pressure washed the wheels after a couple minutes of applying the chemical.

I've seen wheels damaged many times when i worked at the wash. All we did was just hoped that the owner doesnt noticed it. So i think you should take action so they can reimburst you and hopefully change their washing procedures.

GL
Old 10-26-10, 11:25 AM
clevercat
Lead Lap

My lawyer sent the certified complain letter to the General Manager of Plaza Lexus back in August. We waited for about one month and no respond from Plaza Lexus.

I was going to take them to the small claims court but my lawyer asked me to reconsider since we cannot really prove wheels were not in that condition before I took it to Plaza Lexus. It’s my word against theirs. He also researched and found no similar cases in MO. I dropped the case per his recommendation.

I just serviced my wife’s RX300 at Dave Mungenast Lexus last weekend. It was first class service! They know how to treat their customers.
It was night and day comparing to Plaza Lexus. I could not believe it.

Anyway, I was telling the service consultant about my GS and he was not surprised.

I also learned that Plaza Lexus fired the service manger (Mr. Nice guy who told me he did not damaged my wheels and treated me like a little kid) about month ago.
I am not sure if my complain letter had anything to do with it but I am sure he had it coming knowing how he treated me.

Quick Reply: Plaza Lexus killed my wheels!!!!