GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS4 Performance Upgrade...Help??

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-02, 01:26 PM
UTGS400
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GS4 Performance Upgrade...Help??

Does anyone know the best way to increase the GS400's performance without spending too much money?? Right now, I am looking at buying the L-Tuned exhaust, and a SRT intake and ECU. Does anyone know how much this would help?? Or does anyone have a better idea.

One concern I have is with the L-tuned exhaust...I am afraid it will be to loud. I am looking for the hp gain without a significant increase in noise. How does the L-Tuned exhaust sound??

I am also looking at adding the L-Tuned performance shocks and springs. How do these fair with other products??

Any help would be more than helpful.
Old 04-11-02, 02:06 PM
klynchgs4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're concerned about the noise level, I would say don't do the exhaust. I put a Sebring exhaust on my car for about a week. There was no noticeable power gain, but a lot of noise.

My suggestion would be to get the torque converter and intake from SRT. The intake is quite loud at WOT, but it sounds nice. It's not very noticeable during normal driving.
Old 04-11-02, 02:15 PM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

High performance equals alot of noise...If you want to go faster, it's going to be louder....anyways....how could you not like a nice rumble in your exhaust?
Old 04-11-02, 02:17 PM
UTGS400
Instructor

I don't mind the noise when I hit the gas, I just don't want a loud rummble when I am cruising down the hwy.
Old 04-11-02, 02:56 PM
TIKTIK11
Driver

Default Hear the V-8 power

I was worried as well, and let me tell you, I LOVE MY BORLAS. I couldnt do without them. They sound just right, and really make u feel like your in a V-8. just my opinion.
Old 04-11-02, 04:14 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

put it this way......my pops has a '95 sc400. i let him drive my GS with the SRT/Borla combo and he was floored. but get this, it wasnt the power, it was the sound that he loved. i will be the first to admit that the sound of intake changes the characteristics of the car as far as noise levels. at first it is a little disconcerting. i would say that if you do a lot of business with clients or have a disapproving spouse, stay away from the intake. its actually louder than the exhaust.

Doc
Old 04-11-02, 05:00 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Firstly, Welcome to CL.

If you wanna stay quiet, the best first mod, and bang for the buck mod, is a SRT / Precision Industries higher stall torque converter.

Probably a little over $1K installed.

But consider adding a Tranny Cooler too @~$40.

Intake (SRT-$500) and Exhaust (LTuned-$500) added together, I still don't think will give you the down low launch and grunt you'd get from the TC; but, they're not supposed to really either.

The I & E combination will give you some added go, with the associated audible indicators too.

Really depends on wht your priorities are.

Also, familiarize yourself with the Search function found at the top left of most pages, and here

SEARCH PAGE

HTH
Old 04-11-02, 05:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,469 Likes on 1,620 Posts

UTGS - Intake is noisy (with foot down). Exhaust adds noise (at part or WOT but not cruising).

There's no free lunch. The car is already very fast.
Old 04-11-02, 05:43 PM
Murph
Pole Position

I'll be installing my L-Tuned mufflers this weekend. From what I understand the low rumble is not loud but more authorative. I also understand that there is not much extra sound at cruising speeds.

I will do a digital recording of the stock GS400 mufflers, then open pipes, then with L-Tuned. I will then e-mail the files to those that want them. Keep in mind that this will be recorded at the exhaust outlet while parked in my driveway. I'll do a start up, idle, then some 1K, 2K, 3K on the tach for a few seconds each.

I hope this will help those who need some absolute comparisons.

Murph
Old 04-11-02, 07:19 PM
UTGS400
Instructor

Murph,

I would love it if you would send me the recordings when you finish. That will be the best way to judge the sound.
Old 04-11-02, 08:12 PM
GsSilver300
Driver School Candidate

Default Sounds great

I have a 98 GS 300 with greddy exhuast and RMM intake. I get a low rumble that sounds really manly. I only hear my intake when i floor it. They both sound real bad ***. My parents hate it but i love it. The only problem is that it gets annoying when im driving home late at night and im really tired. But overall I think it is worth it. An exhaust improves the cars appearance a lot.
Old 04-11-02, 09:16 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Default Another opinion

UTGS400 – Here’s another perspective. I’ve got all of the goodies that you’re considering and my opinion on the various upgrades vary.

I’m completely satisfied with the L-Tuned suspension – springs, shocks, and ecu. The setup delivered a marked improvement in handling without sacrificing ride quality. Not Corvette handling, but pretty good for a 3,700 lb. sedan and still rides better than most.

The L-Tuned exhaust is a mixed bag. I generally like the sound but there is a “drone” or resonance that’s noticeable at low speed while under moderate acceleration. I’ve noted the same resonance in 3 L-Tuned GS’s that I’ve driven. I don’t know whether any other exhaust systems have that same resonance peak. I find that slightly objectionable. Personally, I prefer the sound of the Borlas that I had on a SC400.

The SRT intake/ecu is also a good news/bad news item. Unlike most others, I’m considering removing my SRT intake. It is noisy, especially when you drive like a normal person. The way I change the “noise” to a more desirable “growl” is by e-shifting, staying in 2nd and 3rd a lot, always keeping the revs up. Using Uncle Garnet’s driving style, the growl (best way to describe the sound) sounds like the muscle car that the GS is – with a minor side benefit of getting where you’re going really fast. But, there is a loss of power at low end – it’s made up in middle ranges and wot. I’m seriously weighing the return of low end power and absence of noise against losing the growl and the upper end improvement. If I were to do it again, I’d do the TC first and skip the intake.

BTW, I notice that you’re in TX – where? I’m in Plano (suburb of Dallas). If you’re anywhere close, PM me and we could meet for lunch one day and you can drive mine – see what you think.

Regards
Old 04-11-02, 09:43 PM
Christobol
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Chad (UTGS400 - My brother) also look at this https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=44618 Remember how I was telling you that there was another intake? Well wait until they have tested this. Hopfully SRT will step up to the plate and send one in for testing too.

garnet92 he is in Austin. I'm sure his lame *** will drive to Dallas for lunch to see your car though. Just tell him there are hot girls at the resturant where you guys will eat lunch
Old 04-11-02, 10:22 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Default HOOTERS

Christobol – you know that’s something hard to find in Dallas – pretty women (HOOTERS) there are just a lot (HOOTERS) of ugly women everywhere (HOOTERS) you look – they have no style, don’t know (HOOTERS) to dress, just big hair and warts on their noses. Might as well have lunch at IHOP (HOOTERS) – just can’t think of anywhere else to go???
Old 04-11-02, 10:27 PM
Static911

UTGS400

Welcome to the Club.

Stay tuned to the Official ClubLexus Dyno of the Weapon-R Intake/ECU.

We will capture it on video and by pictures.

Static911

Quick Reply: GS4 Performance Upgrade...Help??