GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

1999 gs 300 ac leaking water in car

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-09, 05:19 PM
philags300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 gs 300 ac leaking water in car

hello,

new memeber hello everyone. I am sure someone has asked this before. I have a 1999 gs 300 and a few days ago it started leaking water in the car when A/C is on I read that it could be the evaporator. If someone knows where it is located could you please tell me I heard if I blow some air in it it would fix the issue. also could it be the cabin filter cause I looked at it and it is gross replacing it tommorrow.

thanks for anyone willing to help
Old 08-12-09, 05:27 PM
richie3888
Pole Position

its normal... dont worry about it. it's suppose to do that
Old 08-12-09, 06:16 PM
philags300
Driver School Candidate

is it really. anyway someone with a helpfull answer please thanks
Old 08-13-09, 06:06 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not normal, but it does happen to many GS owners. There are tons of threads about this issue. Just search and you will find what you are looking for.
Old 08-13-09, 09:37 AM
vegasgs400
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by richie3888
its normal... dont worry about it. it's suppose to do that
The water is leaking INSIDE the car. It is not normal, of course.
Old 08-13-09, 01:52 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by vegasgs400
The water is leaking INSIDE the car. It is not normal, of course.
check the evaporater drain and make sure its not clogged sir
Old 08-13-09, 04:36 PM
philags300
Driver School Candidate

where is the evaporator drain located? i tried looking for it but can not find it.
Old 08-13-09, 06:18 PM
csudhoff
Driver School Candidate

I'm having the same problem. Anyone have a photo or diagram from the TSM?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-15-09, 07:45 AM
philags300
Driver School Candidate

no one has any pics or location?
Old 08-15-09, 05:42 PM
jhill20
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

evaporator drain tube is underneath the car/ behind the engine on the passenger side. Opposite of where the evaporator is located inside the vehicle. Glove box area.

Open your hood, stand in front of the passenger headlight assy. Peer down towards the firewall under the Air intake arm. You should see a small hose coming out of the firewall it has a couple of bends in it and attaches to that same side strut tower. Which is where it ends.

What you can do is carefully pull the hose and grommet away from the firewall making sure that you don't damage it. And clean out the clogged drain. It may be bad enough that someone will have to tear the case out....

What happens is the adhesive that attaches the insulation to the evaporator inside the HVAC case melts and reforms. This tends to happen with high ambient temps, so as you operate the a/c and turn it off and on, so on and so on, the adhesive melts and pools to the lowest point in the case. Which is the drain. It cools and effectively clogs the drain.

Now as your a/c operates correctly and produces condensation, the water builds and comes out either the blower motor or other spots in the HVAC case.
Hope this helps....

If this happens to your late model vette....sell it!
Attached Thumbnails 1999 gs 300 ac leaking water in car-vette-dash2.jpg   1999 gs 300 ac leaking water in car-vette-dash.jpg  
Old 08-17-09, 12:46 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sakataj
check the evaporater drain and make sure its not clogged sir
Originally Posted by jhill20
evaporator drain tube is underneath the car/ behind the engine on the passenger side. Opposite of where the evaporator is located inside the vehicle. Glove box area.

Open your hood, stand in front of the passenger headlight assy. Peer down towards the firewall under the Air intake arm. You should see a small hose coming out of the firewall it has a couple of bends in it and attaches to that same side strut tower. Which is where it ends.

What you can do is carefully pull the hose and grommet away from the firewall making sure that you don't damage it. And clean out the clogged drain. It may be bad enough that someone will have to tear the case out....

What happens is the adhesive that attaches the insulation to the evaporator inside the HVAC case melts and reforms. This tends to happen with high ambient temps, so as you operate the a/c and turn it off and on, so on and so on, the adhesive melts and pools to the lowest point in the case. Which is the drain. It cools and effectively clogs the drain.

Now as your a/c operates correctly and produces condensation, the water builds and comes out either the blower motor or other spots in the HVAC case.
Hope this helps....

thanks....you beat me to it
Old 08-17-09, 04:31 PM
jhill20
Lead Lap

thanks....you beat me to it
my bad...
Old 08-17-09, 04:46 PM
JamesG
Driver

Hope this helps....

This is exactly what my car looked like when the dealer fixed my leak...

$1300 to patch it , not even replace....lucky my cars still under warranty
Old 08-18-09, 12:46 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

my bad...
i'll let it slid JUST this once
Old 08-18-09, 07:17 PM
jhill20
Lead Lap

i'll let it slid JUST this once
Oh phew!!! thanks man preciate the leniency...

Quick Reply: 1999 gs 300 ac leaking water in car