GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Denut-L you have some explaining to do

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-09, 01:43 PM
kowala
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow. speechless.
Old 08-13-09, 01:51 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
I'm disgusted!
or maybe since he was filming he wasnt paying attention
Old 08-13-09, 02:09 PM
denut-L
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What!!!!!!!!

LOL...When i raced that maxima i was still running a custom intake with just the l-tuned rear section mufflers, no weight reduction also bad spark plugs.
His maxima ran 13.8 @ 101mph at the track that time. Believe it or not that's one fast sleeper, surprises alot of people i can tell you that. I have a video of it running against a 01 or 02 mustang cobra forgot what year and beat it by say one or two cars..look it up.

After i got my spark plugs under correction i wanted to race him again, but hadn't had the chance. As of today my car feels alot faster with the new mods and i'm pretty sure it'll not be the same...

Had alot of races but sorry didn't have my camera to show you all. Will get some up maybe this weekend if no rain,i 'm gonna test out against my friends fully built b20 vtec eg and a mazdaspeed.

Gonna be changing my exhaust system "again" hoping to gain a little extra hp also waiting for my custom headers to be finished and a little touch up here and there..but that's another story and will be updated in the performance section.

Good find on the video's Darknight lol

Last edited by denut-L; 08-13-09 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-13-09, 02:10 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by shvc1991
Not trying to make a smartass remark or anything, but mine is actually about 100-125 pounds heavier with 2 12" subs and 2 extra amps and wiring.

Need moonies for FI.
lol...I am in the SAME boat as you; I am always lugging around that weight in my trunk. This is why I am going to get rid of my overkill (for me anyway) audio setup for just a single 10" or 12" sub in the factory location (an IB setup with NO surrounding box). I estimate that it should free up about 80lbs or so off my ride.

The trunk won't look as pretty and the system won't thump as much but I guess it's worth it and I'll re-gain some more trunk space.
Old 08-13-09, 03:58 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Listing to what this guy said on Youtube... In quotes..

"Toyota was designed for the smooth, refined rides and quiet interiors..They aren't meant for performance driving like Nissan. Toyotas are for going to the picnics with the family. If you want proof, try taking any Toyota and racing it against a Altima SER, G35, Maxima, 350Z, GTR etc..The Toyota is gonna get f---ed up the azz EVERYTIME...IT'S NO CONTEST..SO ****."

Really?

Ok, so i guess a TT Supra will loose against a maxima and 350z.. Giime a break..

sorry but GS400/430 can walk all over the Maxima
Old 08-13-09, 04:32 PM
99Aristo
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shvc1991
Quick question though.

Say if I were to get my GS3 to the same power level as the GS4 or 430 at the crank, would it make the same, more, or less power to the wheels?
Originally Posted by DarKnight
Rule of thumb is you normally lose about 20% power from the engine to the wheels. Obviously that's just an estimate and there can and most likely will be variances.
Not to mention a different torque band from the I-6 and V-8....
Old 08-13-09, 04:35 PM
99Aristo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by denut-L
LOL...When i raced that maxima i was still running a custom intake with just the l-tuned rear section mufflers, no weight reduction also bad spark plugs.
His maxima ran 13.8 @ 101mph at the track that time. Believe it or not that's one fast sleeper, surprises alot of people i can tell you that. I have a video of it running against a 01 or 02 mustang cobra forgot what year and beat it by say one or two cars..look it up.

After i got my spark plugs under correction i wanted to race him again, but hadn't had the chance. As of today my car feels alot faster with the new mods and i'm pretty sure it'll not be the same...

Had alot of races but sorry didn't have my camera to show you all. Will get some up maybe this weekend if no rain,i 'm gonna test out against my friends fully built b20 vtec eg and a mazdaspeed.

Gonna be changing my exhaust system "again" hoping to gain a little extra hp also waiting for my custom headers to be finished and a little touch up here and there..but that's another story and will be updated in the performance section.

Damn....13.8 for s daily street car, a maxima at that, is pretty good. My 400 with an intake and exhaust runs 14.9 every time....still respectable.
Old 08-13-09, 06:27 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

yeah not funny. more like sad.
Old 08-13-09, 07:32 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Listing to what this guy said on Youtube... In quotes..

"Toyota was designed for the smooth, refined rides and quiet interiors..They aren't meant for performance driving like Nissan. Toyotas are for going to the picnics with the family. If you want proof, try taking any Toyota and racing it against a Altima SER, G35, Maxima, 350Z, GTR etc..The Toyota is gonna get f---ed up the azz EVERYTIME...IT'S NO CONTEST..SO ****."

Really?

Ok, so i guess a TT Supra will loose against a maxima and 350z.. Giime a break..

sorry but GS400/430 can walk all over the Maxima
The people who usually make nissan comments like that are the ones that have never encountered fast toyota before... I'll even go to the extent of saying that I'll line up with any GTR on the highway for a 60-150 pull. But what do I know right?? I only own a poor little MKIV supra... Also, when it comes to racing, it is how the car is tuned. I can tune a car to have peak power but if the usable power under the curve is screwed up, than that's not gonna help you with anything. Denut-L, post your dyno graph so people can take a look at it.
Old 08-13-09, 07:39 PM
BlkOnChrom
Rookie

my gs430 wipes the floor with most cars on the road... that must be one bad *** maxima.
Old 08-13-09, 07:46 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had 2 Maximas 5spd's, let me tell you, those things pull, manual with a good driver, GS watch out. They are very light and have less power loss then our boats. There is also a lot of engine swapping, so all though a Maxima looks stock, look out, they can be a sleeper. Our GS' are still faster, but off the line, the GS better not sleep on it.
Old 08-13-09, 08:36 PM
Str8 VIP
Pole Position

say it ain't so (
Old 08-14-09, 06:45 AM
shvc1991
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
lol...I am in the SAME boat as you; I am always lugging around that weight in my trunk. This is why I am going to get rid of my overkill (for me anyway) audio setup for just a single 10" or 12" sub in the factory location (an IB setup with NO surrounding box). I estimate that it should free up about 80lbs or so off my ride.

The trunk won't look as pretty and the system won't thump as much but I guess it's worth it and I'll re-gain some more trunk space.
It will definitely have much better sound quality as the bass is going directly into the cabin; I also plan on getting rid of my overkill. I do a lot of driving and vacationing during the summer and not having any trunk space does get somewhat annoying.
Old 08-14-09, 07:35 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by denut-L

...This makes a lot more sense! So your car "was" basically stock (i.e. just an intake and exhaust WILL only add about 15-20hp (crank) = Not THAT much of a difference.

If it was a 13.8 sec Maxima (I read it was, BUT that was on slicks) on the street he was probably more like a 14.1/14.2 sec car which is probably why he was even or slightly pulling on your car at that time. Makes sense now.
Old 08-14-09, 01:16 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

2 FUNNY