GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

occasional rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-09, 03:15 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts
Default occasional rough idle

Hey everyone,

So the other day I noticed that my dad's 2000 GS400 idles a little rough every now and then, usually when warm, but it doesn't do it all the time. Often it will be when the car is warmed up and has come to a stop at a red light or something. I doubt it's anything very serious, but it's kinda weird how it does it every now and then. Any ideas on what this could be? Thanks a bunch.
Old 08-14-09, 08:19 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

Clean throttle body and maf sensor. Search.
Old 08-14-09, 08:47 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Clean throttle body and maf sensor. Search.
Thanks, but I did search before posting and already did both of those since my SC was doing the same thing except it was all of the time, not just every once in a while. None of the posts I skimmed through said anything about the car doing it every once in a while either. Any other ideas? Thanks again.
Old 08-14-09, 09:08 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When was the last tune-up ( esp.. spark plugs), Was the air filter replaced? Did you disconnect the battery before you cleaned the throttle body and the maf? If so, for how long? If all was done, You could adjust the idle control by tightening up the slack, in the cable on the throttle body.

Last edited by BLAZE; 08-14-09 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-14-09, 09:20 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BLAZE
When was the last tune-up ( esp.. spark plugs), Was the air filter replaced? Did you disconnect the battery before you cleaned the throttle body and the maf? If so, for how long? If all was done, You could adjust the idle control by tightening up the slack, in the cable on the throttle body.
the car has 73K on it right now and the last tune-up was the 60K. Not sure on the plugs and wires so I should check into that. I did in fact disconnect the battery for about 2 hours (forgot about it once I finished) and the air filter is brand new. Good call on the idle control, I'll go look it over tomorrow. Thanks a bunch for the reply
Old 08-14-09, 09:38 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

No problem, the gs4 doesn't have wires though, it has coil packs.
Old 08-14-09, 10:55 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Your motor mount might be out. You can't really see it until you remove it. Take one side out and inspect it.
Old 08-15-09, 01:06 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sam430
Your motor mount might be out. You can't really see it until you remove it. Take one side out and inspect it.
Good idea. Better catch it before it's too late. Thanks, guys
Old 08-15-09, 08:25 AM
ChampGS3
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know about yours but my 98 GS4 idles very close to 400rpm, this has been covered before, and this low idle, especially once warmed up exacerbates the vibration. I have new plugs and it runs perfect and I don't suspect on your fathers car even with slightly older plugs or a dirty TB would contribute to this kind of issue.

Worn or older motor mounts, however will contribute to excessive vibration, felt almost always when at a stop. I have replaced both motor mounts and the tranny mount and I still get this slightly annoying vibrationn when sitting at a red light.

If someone knows a way to raise the base idle to ~600 rpm, please chime in. One thing that really shows that the idle is set too low from the factory is that if you are running MAX AC/(65deg Auto AC setting), and you know the compressor is engaged, the idle is usually closer to 800 rpm and the vibration at least for me is all but gone. So it would seem that at 600 rpm would be a good compromise.
Old 08-16-09, 08:41 AM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ChampGS3
I don't know about yours but my 98 GS4 idles very close to 400rpm, this has been covered before, and this low idle, especially once warmed up exacerbates the vibration. I have new plugs and it runs perfect and I don't suspect on your fathers car even with slightly older plugs or a dirty TB would contribute to this kind of issue.

Worn or older motor mounts, however will contribute to excessive vibration, felt almost always when at a stop. I have replaced both motor mounts and the tranny mount and I still get this slightly annoying vibrationn when sitting at a red light.

If someone knows a way to raise the base idle to ~600 rpm, please chime in. One thing that really shows that the idle is set too low from the factory is that if you are running MAX AC/(65deg Auto AC setting), and you know the compressor is engaged, the idle is usually closer to 800 rpm and the vibration at least for me is all but gone. So it would seem that at 600 rpm would be a good compromise.

A dirty tb Will cause rough idle, spark plugs as well,when I swapped out my plugs, and sprayed out my tb, my idle raised about 100 rpm or so. I left the old plugs in when I cleaned out the tb, then replaced them once I was done. This way I wouldn't foul out the new plugs. I also cleaned my mass air flow sensor right before the plug change. As far as motor mounts that is a great idea, worn out mounts will cause vibration. To raise the idle I simply took out the slack in the cable on the left side of the tb. just loosen the nut and take in the slack. Good luck.
Old 08-16-09, 10:18 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

Try this. If it happens when the car is already warmed up. When the car is fully warmed, at "P", turn on your headlights see if the vibration goes away. Or turn on the a/c on. If it does, your engine mounts are wearing out and getting weaker. That's why you can feel at parked, when the car is warmed. I mean engine mounts get weak over time easily because of bad road, speed bumps, from bouncing up and down and etc. Hope that helps.

Also if your PCV is bad, it would cause rough idle too.