GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Getting ready for EOS (trunk project air/system MANY pics)

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-09 | 12:04 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Yea, I have to be in a hunched position the whole dam time! Lucky I had to put a jack under the rear and jack it up ALL the way so I can get to the rear bags and change the hose. That enabled me to work on the trunk at waste level, but still gotta hunch, just not as much...

I want to light up the amprack (since there will be plexi) however I changed the panel a bit. Instead of 1 big window, I'll have 3 separate windows with partitions. Im gonna have to do some thinking on how I want to do it. I'm torn though on what color to use, I'm thinking just plain white cause anything else might clash with the black of the car. I'm a bit po'ed though cause I really didnt want to use carpet, seems so primitive...I wanted to do leather vinyl, but was gonna be a b-tch to do it all and I was already overwhelmed with the whole project as it is
cars cleaning up nicely and coming along well. i feel you on the hunching how do you think i felt INSIDE my trunk applying dynomat? lol keep us posted she's looking good.

oh yeah since the front of my box is plexi also you should feel me.....OMFG i didnt know 1" and 1 1/2" plexi was so damn high. OUCH
Old 09-11-09 | 12:19 PM
AsGs300
Instructor

looking good so far, amazing how you can do all this at home, by yourself, man, thats having pride right there, popping your trunk open and saying "I did this", rather than some stereo shop, wish i had your skillz...and tools/Time,

Dude, u were rockin 2 13w7's, I have one 13W7 and a JL1000 thats more than enuf Bang, I think, Not to mention the wieght ! my car is lowered, and eversince i got the 13's my car is saggin just a lil , and i can evan tell a diffrence in driving with so much weight! had you ever evan installed them in your ride!
Old 09-11-09 | 12:41 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sakataj
cars cleaning up nicely and coming along well. i feel you on the hunching how do you think i felt INSIDE my trunk applying dynomat? lol keep us posted she's looking good.

oh yeah since the front of my box is plexi also you should feel me.....OMFG i didnt know 1" and 1 1/2" plexi was so damn high. OUCH

Yea, dynamatting trunk sucks! You just sit there in the little ol' tire well or laying over the trunk opening ARGH!!! I did matt all over the trunk, trunk lid, quarter panels... and try doing the roof!!! AAAAAHHHHHH!!! LoL, now THATS a task!!! Having to push upwards with a roller is killer on the UPPER back and arms as for plexi, OH YEA! a sheet of 3/4" 2x4 is like $150 bucks!.... but SO much worth it!

Originally Posted by AsGs300
looking good so far, amazing how you can do all this at home, by yourself, man, thats having pride right there, popping your trunk open and saying "I did this", rather than some stereo shop, wish i had your skillz...and tools/Time,

Dude, u were rockin 2 13w7's, I have one 13W7 and a JL1000 thats more than enuf Bang, I think, Not to mention the wieght ! my car is lowered, and eversince i got the 13's my car is saggin just a lil , and i can evan tell a diffrence in driving with so much weight! had you ever evan installed them in your ride!
man, doing it alone is so boring, I have to give myself props cause Im a puss when it comes to heat and the sun and what not, its SO easy to just say hey [shop] heres some $$ do it for me... but NOTHING like having pride in your work! no matter how crappy it comes out, at least you can say your blood sweat and tears did it!

as for having 2 13's! OMG dude!!!! It was wonderfull!!! I had the 2 with only one 1000/1 but when I got the second.... I dont know how to explain it!!! I LOVE low notes WAY more than the ones that hit the back of your head, and yea car sagged a GRIP. They were one of the main reasons why I went with air and yea, power sucks with that weight, even the 22's make a HUGE difference!

This is them in my other ride (before I decided to make it a drag car ), box was tuned at 20hz and these babies pumped out a 17hz note with actual pressure and not just movemen! GOD I miss that box!!!

Here they are in the Lex:

with 1 1000/1 and 450/4

added second 1000/1

Old 09-11-09 | 01:00 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

damn it I KNEW I was gonna do this!!! I forgot to test fit the woofers before carpeting the box! great...
Old 09-11-09 | 01:05 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Yea, dynamatting trunk sucks! You just sit there in the little ol' tire well or laying over the trunk opening ARGH!!! I did matt all over the trunk, trunk lid, quarter panels... and try doing the roof!!! AAAAAHHHHHH!!! LoL, now THATS a task!!! Having to push upwards with a roller is killer on the UPPER back and arms as for plexi, OH YEA! a sheet of 3/4" 2x4 is like $150 bucks!.... but SO much worth it!

This is them in my other ride (before I decided to make it a drag car ), box was tuned at 20hz and these babies pumped out a 17hz note with actual pressure and not just movemen! GOD I miss that box!!!

yeah im actually contemplating doing my roof, lol. and yeah u are using 3/4" plexi im going to 1" or 1 1/2" so its like another 100. ugh oh well

and you start out so well but i see even in your gran prix you never clean up your wiring.....

btw what kinetik batteries are those? im eyeballing the hc2400 i think yours is a hc1800???
Old 09-11-09 | 01:15 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sakataj
yeah im actually contemplating doing my roof, lol. and yeah u are using 3/4" plexi im going to 1" or 1 1/2" so its like another 100. ugh oh well

and you start out so well but i see even in your gran prix you never clean up your wiring.....

btw what kinetik batteries are those? im eyeballing the hc2400 i think yours is a hc1800???
actually, the pics in the grand prix is before I finished, I made a fiberglass panel for the EQ's and all the trunk was 'walled' off.

as for the Lex, I kept changing what I had before I could finish the projects the first pic of lex, you can see leather vinyl done, but then I got the third amp so I had to redo it, then I got air, so never completed that system... then it all got stolen honestly, I dont know how I would have done the air with the 2 13's LoL. I would NEVER make a smaller box than what I had for them. I made smaller box for these hertz 12's cause I dont care never go small for w7 IMO, they're too damn good of a woofer to waste
Old 09-11-09 | 01:18 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

and yea, both batteries are the 1800

as for plexiglass...I'm not using any here. I'm gonna use 1/8 or 1/4 lexan cause i'm not using it for the box, its only for beauty panel, so no need to use such a thick glass for just a panel/window...

Last edited by Mr Jokster; 09-11-09 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-11-09 | 01:20 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

actually, the pics in the grand prix is before I finished, I made a fiberglass panel for the EQ's and all the trunk was 'walled' off.

as for the Lex, I kept changing what I had before I could finish the projects the first pic of lex, you can see leather vinyl done, but then I got the third amp so I had to redo it, then I got air, so never completed that system... then it all got stolen honestly, I dont know how I would have done the air with the 2 13's LoL. I would NEVER make a smaller box than what I had for them. I made smaller box for these hertz 12's cause I dont care never go small for w7 IMO, they're too damn good of a woofer to waste
now that looks better. lol.

what batteries are/were those?
Old 09-11-09 | 01:24 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

You know what... I just went to my photobucket and noticed, I dont think I took even ONE picture of any completed system of mine I cant prove anything :/

I was just never one to take pictures of what I do, kinda sucks cause now I have nothing to show of what i've done

batteries stated above.
Old 09-11-09 | 07:02 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Well, 1 miscalculation and everything is over! I can fix it, but my master plan has failed!!!! I'd have to redo everything for it to happen... I'm already at the end of my tolerance for this long project... I'm just gonna settle and thats it.... Final pics to come either tomorrow night, or if I figure a way to do what I wanted, it will be a few day from now. As of now, I'm closing shop until my thoughts are brought together...
Old 09-13-09 | 04:16 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Well, after clearance problems with the tank, I had no choice but to put the tanks as shown on last pic they were to tuck on the sides of the woofer box (which they did fine) but the damn torsional trunk support arms were like an inch too long X( I could probably get them to close, but would keep rubbing the tanks.... I dont want to do that.

This is what it WOULD have been like:

As you can see, with the right tank, they tucked very nicely:

Compressor hiding behind tanks:

So now we move on to the system install:

First amp:
(JL 450/4)

Second amp:
(Hertz EP1D 1000/1)

And another:

Now you see them now you dont:

Originally I was going to have a pair of plexi windows for the amps, but since tanks are mounted there, its not yet an option. I’m currently in the process of converting these torsional bars to strut and hinge set up, once that has been done, I’ll be able to tuck the tanks as planed and add the windows. As you can see in last pictures I only have to add a connecting hose from one tank to the other and thats it. so project.... /done
Old 09-13-09 | 07:26 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 25,000

Hey Mr Jokester, sorry I dont know your name. I love how its coming along my trunk is very similar to yours but here is an idea for you in order to avoid the whole issue with the arms. If you get the 3 gal air tanks from UAS and use those instead of the 4 gal it should clear. Because I use the 3 gal in the same location and mine work fine with the arms. Just an idea but great job!! I gotta get off my butt and do mine as well.
Old 09-13-09 | 08:55 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Spyder78
Hey Mr Jokester, sorry I dont know your name. I love how its coming along my trunk is very similar to yours but here is an idea for you in order to avoid the whole issue with the arms. If you get the 3 gal air tanks from UAS and use those instead of the 4 gal it should clear. Because I use the 3 gal in the same location and mine work fine with the arms. Just an idea but great job!! I gotta get off my butt and do mine as well.
makes sense, but mine are 5 gallon I have a 4 and that one would fit just fine, but I like having 10 gallons makes a HUGE difference on speed. I was going too damn slow with just one 5 gallon, having that extra 5 gave enough for both front and rear to go up just as quick. Also, my compressors used to come on right away with the 5 thus the reason for adding another, now I can go up a few times before that happening Thanks for the idea
Old 09-13-09 | 10:59 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 25,000

makes sense, but mine are 5 gallon I have a 4 and that one would fit just fine, but I like having 10 gallons makes a HUGE difference on speed. I was going too damn slow with just one 5 gallon, having that extra 5 gave enough for both front and rear to go up just as quick. Also, my compressors used to come on right away with the 5 thus the reason for adding another, now I can go up a few times before that happening Thanks for the idea
My two 3 gallons let me go up and down about 3 times before they come on. Its all a matter a preference though. I'm interested to see what you come up with for the trunk hinges. Good luck!!
Old 09-14-09 | 12:19 AM
CleanGS4
Pole Position

hummm man its gonna be fun taking all of it would if you need to do something, lol hope you don't! well good job man.

Quick Reply: Getting ready for EOS (trunk project air/system MANY pics)