GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Weekend Mods – LSD & LCB

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-02, 11:14 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by enginyr
I would like to know more about the LSD. Does this mean if you have 19's or 20' it lowers the gearing so that you have 16's or 17's again?
Short answer, yes.

In simple terms, your OEM gear ratio (3.23) is optimized for 16s or 17s. You put on bigger and heavier wheels and tires, and the effect is that the gear ratio is effectively lower since the gears are now turning slower.

Insert a taller or steeper (higher) gear ratio, and you effectively offset the larger wheels; more grunt. This is good, and you get the benefit of added traction too.

That’s why if you have the OEM wheels, the 3.76 unit isn’t recommended since you’re apt to hit the rev limiter so easily.

Bigger wheels and tires, in and of themselves, don’t mean you’ll stick like glue; I did a little testing Friday night (install was Sat morn) when the roads were wet or damp, and the open diff still spun my 19x9.5s, and I could drift a little if I wanted. Yeah, I have the TQ, but I don’t care much for breaking traction.

Kinda confused to what it actually does. Or is it like positraction?

That’s an easy way to think about it; it distributes torque as evenly as possible to both wheels, instead of just one as an open diff does. You break traction with an open diff, and the wheel will continue to spin until you (or VSC) decide to stop it.

When one wheel begins to break traction with an LSD, clutches or gears mesh together and spool the torque to the other axle, thereby allowing the other wheel to move the vehicle.

Here’s a good place for some technical data

Link To Torsen's Website About 3.76 Unit

Also, try using the Search function using “lsd” as your text.
Sorry; its my job to suggest that now.

I think that's pretty accurate - the really smart guys will correct me if mine incorrect.

Thanks for the good deal on your lights. Your car must ryde on rails now.
You’re welcome! Get my email with the tracking number? I boxed them in the same OEM packing material my 01 lights came in – Toyota boxes, bubble wrap and all

Its handle very well IMO; plenty stiff (uhhh huh huh….. stiiiif)
Old 04-16-02, 12:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,398 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Does the TRD gearing throw off the speedo?
Old 04-16-02, 12:18 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by bitkahuna
Does the TRD gearing throw off the speedo?
Good question Bit. I don't have a verifiable answer, but the speed is measured via the rear wheels I think; at least when I was at SRT on the lift and hit the gas, the speedo reacted.

I think it is measured by wheel speed, not axle, so I don't think the LSD affects it. This might hold true since the ABS / YAW sensors are at the wheels so they can determine when VSC is needed too.

The speed readings didn't seem out of whack while I was driving the past few days....
Old 04-16-02, 02:45 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks Dex,

I've just learned so much by this thread!
Wonder if a LSD for the GS430 will work on the SC430.. BTW did your Lexus dealer do the install for you Dex.. If so how much did they ding you for all that work??
Old 04-16-02, 03:15 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good stuff Dex!

You are one of the mod kings and have put together a very sweet overall package.

I'd be curious about the speed readings as previously here it was claimed that the readings were off the wheels.

Also, I'm a bit surprised (pleasantly) about your comments on the changes to the handling in just the LCB. I did the sways and the LCB at the same time and wouldn't have ascribed such a difference in handling from just the LCB.
Old 04-16-02, 03:17 PM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to know more about the LSD. Does this mean if you have 19's or 20' it lowers the gearing so that you have 16's or 17's again? Kinda confused to what it actually does. Or is it like positraction?

Thanks for the good deal on your lights. Your car must ryde on rails now.
Yes and Yes (hows that for short and sweet?) Long version: by lowering the final drive ratio of the rear end, you can increase your acceleration, but the downside is that you can decrease your top speed. But, the increase in ratio is so small, you'll hit the ECU's top speed limiter before you reach the mechanical limit. Is this increase in ratio enough to overcome the weight of bigger wheels and tires? That would depend on how much heavier they are than stock.
As for the positraction question, pretty much the same thing, it limits power to the slipping wheel via mechanical methods.
Old 04-16-02, 03:38 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Mr Johnson
Good stuff Dex!

You are one of the mod kings and have put together a very sweet overall package.

I'd be curious about the speed readings as previously here it was claimed that the readings were off the wheels.

Also, I'm a bit surprised (pleasantly) about your comments on the changes to the handling in just the LCB. I did the sways and the LCB at the same time and wouldn't have ascribed such a difference in handling from just the LCB.
Thanks for the compliment MJ! That's means an awful lot coming from a SCd GS owner!

My LCB handling comments may be due to my added STB and my 18x8.5s up front too.

Oh yeah, the Blue GSs always handle better.
Old 04-16-02, 03:41 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by 2SAVVY
Thanks Dex,

I've just learned so much by this thread!
Wonder if a LSD for the GS430 will work on the SC430.. BTW did your Lexus dealer do the install for you Dex.. If so how much did they ding you for all that work??
I don't know squat about the SC430 A quick call to the dealer might shed some light. Heck, Lexus is using them in the LX, RX, IS; surely there is an application for the SC.