GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

HELP!!! Car Wont Start Still

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-09, 06:27 PM
SWT-GS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! Car Wont Start Still

Hello All

I've searched and can not find any info that would point me in the right direction. So I'm asking for some needed HELP!! I'll give you the symptoms.

1) Replaced dead battery. (Car sat for about 2 months)
2) Car ran good with the new battery took it out 2 times
3) Washed car and put it back in the garage.
4) came back a couple of days later and car would not start. Thought the new battery died.
5) Replaced battery (again) still won’t start.
6) Checked all fuses I could find. No 16, 17 and I think 33 under the hood and drivers kick panel. Still nothing.
7) Ran to my PC and searched the forum for some answers.
8) Every thing I found pointed to the started.
9) OK pulled starter and had it rebuilt.
10) Just put the starter back in and NOTHING!!! Again
11) Run back to my PC and type this.

When I say "wont start" I mean it won’t turn over and no noise comes from the starter no click or no nothing. I hear the fuel pump, dash lights up everything else seems to work.

Background:
It's a GS 430 with 48K on it.

PLEASE HELP ME.

Chris
Old 08-26-09, 06:49 PM
phillygs3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the ignition, Do you have a after market alarm?
Old 08-26-09, 07:55 PM
SWT-GS
Driver

Check the ignition,
How do I do this? Remember that the car won’t turn over.

Do you have an after market alarm?
Yes I do but even that won’t start the car and it disengages when I turn it off.

thanks
Chris
Old 08-26-09, 10:01 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

Does it make out a single click at all? If it clicks once only and you can hear it. The solenoid for the starter is getting power but the thing that spins the start is stuck. Are you sure the starter is working properly? I think it's the starter not the battery. Make sure the connections for the starter is good and battery cables. Also If battery was weak the car will still crank but very slow. Hope that helps.
Old 08-26-09, 10:10 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would start by removing the alarm, I've seen several cars come into the shop with the same issue and 9 out of 10 times the kill switch feature from the alarm is the problem.
Old 08-26-09, 10:43 PM
augdogg
Lead Lap

Umm sounds silly but, did you check to see if you have any gas? Wasnt on your list....
Old 08-27-09, 06:15 AM
SWT-GS
Driver

Thank you gentlemen for your prompt responses and for putting on your thinking caps. The problem is that the starter will not engage. By this I mean it will not turn the motor over to even attempt to start. The battery is brand new and the starter I just had rebuilt when I began this quest to get the car running. I know that it's getting currant and all the wiring is mint. I'm leaning more towards the electrical part of the starting system. I'm hoping someone on the forum knows about this. Is there a relay, fuse or fusible link that might have blown? Where would it be located? Again guys it's not that that car wont start it's that the car wont even turn over.

1 more bit of info:

The alarm will let the car turn over but it disengages the ignition not the starter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Chris
Old 08-27-09, 06:37 AM
Money Pit
Driver School Candidate

This may be a long shot but worth the time to eliminate one possibility.

Try putting a wrench on the Harmonic bolt (the bolt holding the crank pulley on) and turn the engine manually. This will tell you if the engine is able to spin freely or if it is seized or hydro locked.
Old 08-27-09, 06:54 AM
jhill20
Lead Lap

ok let's clarify. Does it crank. or try to turn over. If it does not attempt to turn over/crank i.e. no starter operation, then you need a 12 volt test light or dvom (digital volt ohm meter) and connect one end to ground and probe the small gauge wire going to the starter. You need to make sure you are getting voltage at this wire. If not check your ignition. If you do have good voltage there (battery voltage) or a brightly lit test light when cranking and no starter operation then you should check the wiring to the starter.

Fyi as GS Fonzy said most of the time the aftermarket alarm does fail, and it IS wired directly into your ignition wiring that sends voltage to the small gauge "signal" wire that I spoke about testing above.

I just spent 3.5 hours the other day taking out an aftermarket alarm in my gs that a previous owner just left in. They can cause nightmarish no start symptoms.

hope this helps...
Old 08-27-09, 12:16 PM
SWT-GS
Driver

Well after calling my alarm guy he verified that yes indeed that the alarm disengages the starter. Soooo I picked one of his techs up and he disengaged the alarm but still nothing. The car makes all the noises like it should meaning, fuel pump turns on, relay energizes in the fuse box (under hood near battery) but nothing happens. I didn't have any tools with me to check if the engine will turn over by hand I will do this tomorrow as I am out for the night. Are there any other things I could check? Please if you say ignition I don't understand what exactly that means. Sorry for my ignorance.

Chris
Old 08-28-09, 10:07 AM
SWT-GS
Driver

Well I've run out of options so now the car is at the garage. I'll keep this thread updated as to what they find.

When I did the starter is was pretty simple no issues and I think I might post some pics for everyone. Beyond the nest that was sitting on the "V" nothing really was that difficult. I was surprised. Only took about an hour to put everything back together.

Chris
Old 08-28-09, 10:16 AM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

are you sure you checked all the fuses? sounds like your efi fuse is shot.
Old 08-28-09, 10:28 AM
SWT-GS
Driver

Would the EFI fuse prevent the car from turning over? If so could you tell me where it is?

Thanks
Chris
Old 08-30-09, 12:59 PM
lowKut
NELOC Moderator

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Any update to this thread?

I am experiencing the same problem with my 2002 GS 300.
Went to start the car, wont start nor crank. Battery checked out fine. Any suggestion?
Old 08-30-09, 01:16 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

could be the cable running from the batt to the starter..was that on the list? check the resistance

Quick Reply: HELP!!! Car Wont Start Still