GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need advice on purchasing new audio headunit

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-09, 08:38 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on purchasing new audio headunit

Hey guys, my current radio in my 02 GS is like acting up. it still plays radio and cd's but the screen is beggining to be all frazzled, like it goes in and out

well im assuming it will be cheaper to just buy a new headunit, but i would like one with a screen, dont want just a regular one because the area where the current radio is rather large, so a screen would be ideal in the place of that

what brands should i look for?
how will the cd player operate because the ones i looked at were like the CD slot was with the screen, and im sure all yall know that the CD slots are in the glovebox

all reponses will be appriciated!!!

thanks
Old 08-26-09, 11:07 PM
tonysgs300
Lead Lap

the area that your head unit is in now is called a double din, and the "regular" units are called single din. you can buy a single din stereo and there is a kit that all shops install with it called a dash kit which eliminates that openness. You can get a screen type or double din stereo but a single din stereo will work just fine. if your doing the work yourself then you will need for a single din....
1 stereo(duh)
2 dash kit
3 wiring harness but thats only if your doing the work yourself.
As far as which one to get, thats your choice. Pioneer, kenwood, alpine, JVC Sony they are just like exhaust's its a personal choice. I myself love pioneer's but hey! GL hope this helps
Old 08-27-09, 02:17 AM
AsGs300
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

dude go with a double din screen, i have a kenwood..CD??? man get one with USB, works better than cd i dont think i ever stuck a cd in mine yet? USB will play music and videos, or one with an Ipod Jack! if your gonna go with a double din i'd recomend you buy the dash kit from CARSON toyota... matches perfect with the ac unit!
Old 08-27-09, 05:51 AM
daintyboy
Driver School Candidate

I just bought a jvc kw-avx720 double din touchscreen that is ipod compatible (controls the ipod from the screen while charging it), dvd player, radio, rear view camera shown on the screen. Very sweet set up. Altogether got it and the rear view license plate camera including installation for $850.
Old 08-27-09, 06:44 AM
h0t SaUc3
Rookie

Yea, I would definitely go double din. I just bought the Kenwood DNX 7140 (still not installed), But I have used it's predecessor and loved it. It controls my iPods audio and video from the screen. The only negative is it is a little more on the pricey side since it's an all in one with Navi.

I made my decision after comparing double din units from Pioneer, Kenwood, and Eclipse. Kenwood won because of it's functionality with the iPod. As stated before, this is definitely a personal choice. GL!
Old 09-02-10, 07:11 PM
BrentGS
Pole Position

Going to ask a n00b question , but at least I searched right?

This head unit should fit fine in my sport design right? The pixels on my stock display have died and I want a dvd player. This is a lower priced one, but a 7" screen should fit no problem in my sport design right?
http://cgi.ebay.com/D2202-EONON-New-...t_13690wt_1137
Old 09-02-10, 07:19 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, it's all about iPods, flash drives, SD cards nowadays. Forget about CDs.
Old 09-02-10, 08:13 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

this is all fine and dandy but the sweet lexus sound will dissapear when installing an aftermarket unit because you will lose use of the factory amp and sub in the rear. i wanted to put a double din really bad then found out id have to get a 4 channel amp and all new components and had to rewire everything so i stuck with cds and stock radio. unless someone finds a way to utilize the stock amp im not messing with mine, its a headache
Old 09-03-10, 01:46 AM
toy4life86
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rgarjr
Dude, it's all about iPods, flash drives, SD cards nowadays. Forget about CDs.
so what are you saying?? my mc hammer tape is out of date ?
Old 09-03-10, 06:50 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by D-Boi
this is all fine and dandy but the sweet lexus sound will dissapear when installing an aftermarket unit because you will lose use of the factory amp and sub in the rear. i wanted to put a double din really bad then found out id have to get a 4 channel amp and all new components and had to rewire everything so i stuck with cds and stock radio. unless someone finds a way to utilize the stock amp im not messing with mine, its a headache
You loose the stock amp and sub, but you can still run your factory speakers off your new HU without re-wiring your entire system. Also, aftermarket sub and amp are required for added bass.
Old 09-03-10, 06:57 AM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Yea you can run them off the headunit but how are they going to sound compared to the stock radio? Would the mids and highs work together or just the highs in the tweeter pods?
Old 09-03-10, 07:13 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

**Just for reference, I am talking about the stock Pioneer system.

I cannot speak on behalf of the other stereos. All your speakers will continue to work except the sub, so your bass will have to come from your door speakers. Now, i can't speak to the quality of the sound because i overhauled my entire stereo at the same time.
Now with that upgrade i added a double din HU, upgraded from 4in to 6in speakers, new tweeters, and aftermarket sub and amp.