GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I need some LSD.....Who has the hook up

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-02, 07:26 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Dex

There were a couple of times on Sat and Sun where I feel rather sure I'd be in a predicament had I relied on VSC by itself. Just a couple of times though.
I know exactly what you mean. The first couple times I drove the car after the LSD install were a time of "relearning" for me.

For those two days, I never turned off VSC. Now I don't have to look at that VSC OFF button on my dash any more.
You need a Supercharger then!
Old 04-16-02, 08:11 PM
GJSGS4
Driver

Originally posted by enginyr
I could never under stand why our car just spins the tire that isn't getting traction. It makes more sense to put the power to the wheel with the MOST traction.
That's how an open diff works. The stock diff on the Lexus is an open diff. It will always spin the tire with the least traction, because it has a 1:1 torque ratio. It applies the same torque to both back wheels, so if one wheel loses traction (low torque) it will apply the same low torque to the other wheel. An LSD will multiply the torque on the low traction wheel and apply it to the other wheel. So, an LSD with a torque bias of 5, will apply 5 times the torque of the low traction wheel, to the other wheel. This means more of engine's torque goes to the ground (instead of into the brakes with VSC) and the car accelerates faster under low traction situations.
Old 04-16-02, 08:45 PM
Dvlad
Driver School Candidate

I'm not sure why you guy's would need to "relearn" how to drive your car with an LSD. The only thing I can think of that would change the driving dynamics is the enhanced traction during "spirited driving".

Yep - that's just it. You drive you car a certain way, having a pretty good idea of what its limits are. Well, with the LSD installed, the bar is raised a little.

Last edited by ///MDex; 04-17-02 at 06:48 AM.
Old 04-16-02, 10:42 PM
itsallgood
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Dvlad
Dex & Mr Johnson,

I'm not sure why you guy's would need to "relearn" how to drive your car with an LSD. The only thing I can think of that would change the driving dynamics is the enhanced traction during "spirited driving".
I know what Dex & Mr Johnson are trying to say, I too had to relearn how to drive with the VSC off mode.

You see Dvlad, with the LSD in my car now, when I mash the gas peddle, both tires spin and the car can go sideways on you if your not watching what your doing...

Aloha
Old 04-17-02, 08:55 AM
enginyr
Banned

Originally posted by itsallgood

I know what Dex & Mr Johnson are trying to say, I too had to relearn how to drive with the VSC off mode.

You see Dvlad, with the LSD in my car now, when I mash the gas peddle, both tires spin and the car can go sideways on you if your not watching what your doing...

Aloha

Are you saying that the VSC is disabled once the LSD is installed?
Old 04-17-02, 11:19 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by enginyr
Are you saying that the VSC is disabled once the LSD is installed?
No no no.

The mechanical LSD is simply another layer of a traction adding device, before the VSC.

If you notice with VSC, it'll take a second for it to kick in when you break traction. The mechanical LSD is all time and splits the torque before wheel spin, so VSC never does anything.

I will try some experiments when I have some more time; like turnng OFF VSC, and seeing if I can ever get it to sctuate.

HTH
Old 04-17-02, 11:31 AM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default What?.. WHAT?

Most of the "betetr" level LSDs need "wind-up", a few revolutions of the slipping wheel vs the wheel with traction to move the clutches, etc.

The only one that is constantly "On" is the one with spring loaded clutches and the strenght of the springs "sets" the limit, typically about 70ft lbs.

I think you folks that are putting mechanical LSDs in your Lexus are basically buying a load of poles.
Old 04-17-02, 11:45 AM
JYOO

I dont think LSD is worth much at all unless u get the 3:76 Ratio.
They should make a 4:10 ratio, now that would be something u can feel!
Old 04-17-02, 11:45 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: What?.. WHAT?

Originally posted by wwest
Most of the "betetr" level LSDs need "wind-up", a few revolutions of the slipping wheel vs the wheel with traction to move the clutches, etc.

The only one that is constantly "On" is the one with spring loaded clutches and the strenght of the springs "sets" the limit, typically about 70ft lbs.

I think you folks that are putting mechanical LSDs in your Lexus are basically buying a load of poles.
Whatever - I still haven't seen you describe what a "betetr" LSD is, and who manufactures it, not that I care....

I think this reads effectively as fulltime.....
Attached Thumbnails I need some LSD.....Who has the hook up-fulltime.gif  
Old 04-17-02, 11:53 AM
GJSGS4
Driver

The torsen type LSD is immediately available to multiply the torque. There aren't any clutches or springs to engage. The TRD LSD has spring loaded clutches and a ramp gear. The spring loaded clutches are always engaged and the ramp gear applies additional pressure to the clutches before the wheel slips one revolution. The TRD LSD is a two way ramp design, so it limits slip during acceleration and braking.
Old 04-17-02, 12:51 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DUDE, you can get some from the huy that stands by the 7-11 , I wouldnt trust him though he looks all wacked and *****
Old 04-17-02, 11:15 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did someone say LSD? "No officer, I have no idea how these got in the car!"
Attached Thumbnails I need some LSD.....Who has the hook up-felix.jpg  
Old 04-18-02, 06:59 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Why are people alway picking on the poles? Why not a load of czechs, or irish, or tahitians for that matter? Some people...
Old 04-18-02, 11:40 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wwest you've hated LSD as long as i can remember!

i have never heard anyone say such bad things as you have... do you have personal experiance that would really make you HATE LSD?

Dex yours is torson type right? and the TRD one is clutch type?
Old 04-18-02, 11:42 AM
enginyr
Banned

I had a bad "trip" on LSD once......wasnt pretty, sasha....I can understand......hehe

Quick Reply: I need some LSD.....Who has the hook up