GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I need some LSD.....Who has the hook up

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-02, 11:24 AM
enginyr
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking I need some LSD.....Who has the hook up

HAHA...Not acid......Limited Slip Differential...

What is the best LSD.

How much do they cost.

Whats average installation cost.

Anyone have a used one or Have whole sale hook ups?
Old 04-16-02, 11:52 AM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default Best LSD

The VERY BEST LSD is the one you already have in your Lexus, it's called TRAC, no mechanical LSD can outperform it!

The very best mechanical LSD can only deliver 6 times the torque delivered to the slipping wheel to the wheel with traction. Think about that, just how much torque does it take to spin a tractionless wheel and then multiply that by 6!

If TRAC is used to BRAKE the slipping wheel then unless the engine is quickly dethrottled the opposite wheel MUST turn else something will break!
Old 04-16-02, 12:07 PM
SADDLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats a good point wwest...

drew
Old 04-16-02, 02:02 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Best LSD

Originally posted by wwest
The VERY BEST LSD is the one you already have in your Lexus, it's called TRAC, no mechanical LSD can outperform it!
Can you elaborate on this statement please?

There never was, or is there currently, an LSD available from the factory for the US Spec GS.

The very best mechanical LSD can only deliver 6 times the torque delivered to the slipping wheel to the wheel with traction. Think about that, just how much torque does it take to spin a tractionless wheel and then multiply that by 6!
Can you elaborate on this statement too please? What do you consider "The very best mechanical LSD" and why?

6 times the total available torque? I don't understand the point you are trying to convey.

If TRAC is used to BRAKE the slipping wheel then unless the engine is quickly dethrottled the opposite wheel MUST turn else something will break!
If VSC is turned on, and the you mash the accelerator and break traction, you won't go anywhere very fast, or even at all from the combination of the timing being retarted and the brakes being applied to the wheel spinning. I wouldn't consider that ...The VERY BEST LSD......

You come across as rather knowledgable, so I am very interested in your answers.
Old 04-16-02, 02:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,346 Likes on 1,537 Posts

wwest - TRAC will stop you from spinning wheels and skidding by SLOWING YOU DOWN. LSD lessens/eliminates spinning wheels WITHOUT SLOWING YOU DOWN. Giant difference.

If you just want to go slow, get a Camry.
Old 04-16-02, 02:25 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,235 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally posted by bitkahuna
If you just want to go slow, get a Camry.
But but a Camry doesn't have the TRAC option? He'd be at least six times more likely to break traction than in a GS .
Old 04-16-02, 02:28 PM
enginyr
Banned

ya im real confused...
Old 04-16-02, 02:40 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default TRAC

The earlier implementation of TRAC in my 92 LS was the PITS !!

Any drive wheel slippage at all and it would instantly brake BOTH
rear wheels and just as instantly dethrottle the engine.

On my MY2000 GS300 it applies "modulated" (hard, medium, moderate) braking to ONLY the wheel that slips and will not dethrottle the engine unless wheel slippage is repetitive or continuous.
Old 04-16-02, 02:41 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by enginyr
ya im real confused...
Here ya go

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=32338
Old 04-16-02, 02:52 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like another basis for "what's better" kind of thing. This really makes this board interesting.

Let's settle this early on. Let's get the quarter mile of a GS bone stock and compare it to the same GS with LSD.

I need a bone stock GS to borrow for half a day to test this!
Old 04-16-02, 02:57 PM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Consider this for a moment... the TRAC system uses sensors to detect wheel spin and then reduces power to correct the problem. Having said that, what would happen if you put a mechanical device on the system whose sole purpose was reducing wheel spin... oh, say maybe an LSD. OK, so now we have a mechanical device in place that reduces wheel spin so that the sensors now have no wheel spin to detect, therefore, TRAC doesn't get kicked on and reduce power.
Get the picture? The LSD certainly will and does have a perfectly good place on our cars... contrary to what others may say

Last edited by mumbles; 04-16-02 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-16-02, 03:10 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

I guess many of us thought this *had* been settled some time ago.

Believe me, I didn't go out and buy a LSD because I already had the "the very best LSD". Folks without a LSD should go drive a car that has one and includes the TRAC on top of it. They would not be arguing the point anymore.

For those of you who still want to argue the point in the extreme cases, where we are talking F1 type environs, I *might* give you the benefit of the doubt wrt software and hardware necessary to make a TRAC-type system work better than a mechanical LSD. But I'm pretty sure even Ferraris 2002 car has a clutch type system in their gearbox that acted, or could act, like a LSD and is therefore questionable in the F1 rulebook.
Old 04-16-02, 03:16 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default off-trac(k)

Mumbles:

My GS300 doesn't reduce the engine power to prevent or decrease wheelspin unless it is unsuccessful using the rear brakes for that purpose first.
Old 04-16-02, 03:19 PM
enginyr
Banned

I could never under stand why our car just spins the tire that isn't getting traction. It makes more sense to put the power to the wheel with the MOST traction.
Old 04-16-02, 03:45 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Mr Johnson
I guess many of us thought this *had* been settled some time ago.

Believe me, I didn't go out and buy a LSD because I already had the "the very best LSD". Folks without a LSD should go drive a car that has one and includes the TRAC on top of it. They would not be arguing the point anymore.
Right.

There were a couple of times on Sat and Sun where I feel rather sure I'd be in a predicament had I relied on VSC by itself. Just a couple of times though.

For those two days, I never turned off VSC. Now I don't have to look at that VSC OFF button on my dash any more.

Quick Reply: I need some LSD.....Who has the hook up