GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Squeaky Steering Column

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-02, 08:20 AM
concepts
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone wanna sign up for a class action?

(Sigh)
Old 04-20-02, 01:17 PM
Bdragon007
Pole Position

I'm having the same problem too, i wonder if the dealer is gonna fix it since my car is 55K and i bought it second hand. Is anybody in the same situation?
Old 04-20-02, 10:26 PM
SWEETSOUND2001
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

What about a squeak as I rotate the steering wheel on my 93 LS400? Have any of you guys experienced that as well?

Anton
Old 04-22-02, 02:52 PM
Goods
Driver

i had that steering wheel squeak when i first picked up my GS400 a few months ago .. one dealership lubed it ... helped a little bit ... but still made the noise a few weeks later...

after i complained again .. they stated they installed a new steering wheel motor ...

i'll have to check the papers .. but it sounds 90 percent better ..

still not dead quiet like i'd expect .. but a lot better than the squeal you're all talking about...

it was very prominent when i went to check out a bunch of used GS's at an auto auction here in CA... about half of the cars squeaked ... very embarassing and unacceptable for a car of this caliber...
Old 04-22-02, 02:58 PM
LexFather

This crap started happening to me about 2 weeks ago, I was like WTF!?!?!?

I ain't lubing crap, my car has 71k miles, I got the 100k warrenty and the dealer WILL BE seeing me.

Also the SC 400 steering column does not do this and that car was born in 1992.

Not upset, but the sound is annoying.
Old 04-22-02, 04:02 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had it. Was fixed under warranty about a year ago. No problems since [fingers crossed]. My memory on these matters is poor, but at a minimum they replaced the motor -- I think they replaced the entire assembly. I'll have to check the receipts.
Old 04-22-02, 04:06 PM
enginyr
Banned

Originally posted by redgs4
Had it. Was fixed under warranty about a year ago. No problems since [fingers crossed]. My memory on these matters is poor, but at a minimum they replaced the motor -- I think they replaced the entire assembly. I'll have to check the receipts.

This is what I was afraid of...THIS IS THE ONLY FIX to the problem. Do you happen to remember approximately how much the motor was and how much it was to install. (Crossing Fingers)
Old 04-22-02, 09:18 PM
dt21823
Driver

Had the same thing happen on my '98 GS300. Can't remember if it was during the hottest time of summer, but it sort of went away on its own. The dealer told me they would not fix it under my certified/pre-owned warranty because it was "normal maintenance" (take the dash apart, clean the moving parts and relube everything).

I'd like to hear other owners' experiences with getting this resolved under warranty. I'm certainly going to take it up with my dealer again if the problem reappears this summer.
Old 04-22-02, 11:53 PM
Rover
Pole Position

Default Squeaky Steering Column.

Guys,
It does not just happen in your new 2nd Gen,
but also in my old 1st Gen. And it does happen
only in the hot weather. But I guess the 1st Gen.
people never complained about it, so Lexus never
changed the assembly for the 2Gen. either.
Just my 2.
Old 04-23-02, 12:29 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by redgs4
I have a certified 98 and it was fixed under warranty [so no cost to me & no price specified]. I don't recall how I described the symptoms to the dealer, but the invoice says "Cust states when steering tilt is used bad noise when car is warm". The invoice states that they replaced the Gear Assembly and the R&R Tilt Motor.
Old 04-23-02, 08:57 AM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up Here's what my invoice states!!!

Ok guys, I found the invoice for when they resolved my steering column problem. Sorry I am slow to post this up, but I got into a car accident this weekend and had to get my ear sewn back together. I'll post more on that later tonight. Ok my invoice states the following "Steering column has groaning noise on telescopic, more so when extremely hot" Their solution as printed on invoice was "R/R telescopic steering motor and shaft and adjust pins" All this was covered under the warranty when I had this car. I hope this helps all of you experiencing this problem. I assume R/R means remove and replace. Good luck to all of you and drive safely
Old 04-23-02, 12:31 PM
his_eminence
Rookie

My 98 GS has the same squeaking problem here in Arizona (where it's not just hot, it's so hot they ground airplanes at Phoenix airport so the tires don't blow on takeoff or landing). Anyway, my assumption is that the heat causes the plastic steering column shroud to expand and rub against the plasitc dash. I'm guessing it's an alignment problem (it seems to only rub the right side of my steering column) so when you all had your motors and assemblies replaced, they aligned it correctly and thus, no more squeaks. But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong...
Old 04-23-02, 01:12 PM
enginyr
Banned

My best guess is the grease dries out faster in hot climate weather. My steering column has already past the "squeeling" stage. Now it ONLY works in hot weather. example...does not working in the morning, but after sitting in the sun for a while works again but very poorly. This could be to the fact of the lube I used to relubricate.
Old 04-23-02, 03:32 PM
Bdragon007
Pole Position

Unhappy

MAn, this problem is even more serious then i thought. I wonder if any Guru out there can find an easy way to fix this. Go to the dealer to change a whole new motor properly cost to much.
Old 04-23-02, 03:32 PM
Bdragon007
Pole Position

Unhappy

MAn, this problem is even more serious then i thought. I wonder if any Guru out there can find an easy way to fix this? Go to the dealer to change a whole new motor properly cost to much.

Quick Reply: Squeaky Steering Column