GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Does the GS400 have a MPG computer?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-09, 05:23 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
when i had my supra TT diff (before i broke it) i couldnt get better than LOW 17's. i averaged around 14-17 in city. it was terrible, love having the OEM diff back in there now
OMG...how the hell did you break it?!
Old 09-17-09, 12:54 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
OMG...how the hell did you break it?!
lol. being stupid. its still sitting in my garage. i STILL havent opened it since i swapped out

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ast-night.html
Old 09-19-09, 09:17 AM
PilotSmith
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts

With the SRT intake MPG fell to 14.6 on this first tank. But the driving style I fear was the culprit with the novelty of the intake. Next tank will be with normal mellow driving. Hoping MPG is back to stock level or better with next tank. Seems like the GS400 should get at least the same or better MPG than our '01 LS430 which is heavier and has pretty good acceleration.

sakataj, why didn't you like having the Supra dif in your GS? I read that 0-60 actually goes down with the Supra dif because the lower gearing causes the GS to make an extra gear shift into 3rd before you hit 60. But sounds like the LSD is great if you like ripping around corners. I got a bit spooked about it mainly due to the higher RPM at freeway cruising speeds. I was wondering if there was not an option for a LSD with the stock GS gear ratio?
Old 09-21-09, 11:24 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PilotSmith
With the SRT intake MPG fell to 14.6 on this first tank. But the driving style I fear was the culprit with the novelty of the intake. Next tank will be with normal mellow driving. Hoping MPG is back to stock level or better with next tank. Seems like the GS400 should get at least the same or better MPG than our '01 LS430 which is heavier and has pretty good acceleration.

sakataj, why didn't you like having the Supra dif in your GS? I read that 0-60 actually goes down with the Supra dif because the lower gearing causes the GS to make an extra gear shift into 3rd before you hit 60. But sounds like the LSD is great if you like ripping around corners. I got a bit spooked about it mainly due to the higher RPM at freeway cruising speeds. I was wondering if there was not an option for a LSD with the stock GS gear ratio?
i didnt like it cause it KILLED my gas mileage. other than that it was great. oh yeah and my damn governor kicked on at 122 with it but otherwise it was fine
Old 09-21-09, 12:39 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

You are correct but when do cars even race from 0-60 exact? and stop at 60mph. Also, very very rarely would you see a GS4XX with these gears and no high stall torque converter. To me, it would be just PLAIN STUPID to put these gears in if you don't have a high stall torque converter or you aren't running FI.

The ENTIRE POINT of buying this LSD is for more traction and to put that power to the ground effectively. A STOCK GS4XX shouldn't have ANY traction problems whatsoever on decent tires. This mod will actually become counterproductive in this instance.

The 3.76 gearing will make the car faster (accleration) than a GS with the 3.23 stock gearing; it's just mechanics and easy to understand. At certain MPH intervals yeah, one would come out over the other due to changes in shift points but overall the 3.76 will give better performance.

Now, combine that with more power adders AND a PI TC and you can hang with 425hp cars such as my recent run-in with a Charger SRT8.
Old 09-21-09, 12:43 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sakataj
i didnt like it cause it KILLED my gas mileage. other than that it was great. oh yeah and my damn governor kicked on at 122 with it but otherwise it was fine
Agreed! It kills my gas mileage too!

I don't know why your governor kicked in at 122 mph? I have recently taken my car up to VERY close to 120mph and still had AT LEAST 1500rpms on my tach.

I have read many places that it is good for 132mph versus the 149mph for stock gearing.

I don't mind it though; I rarely drive that fast...if I can't take 'em by 100-110mph - I stop.
Old 09-22-09, 09:28 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Agreed! It kills my gas mileage too!

I don't know why your governor kicked in at 122 mph? I have recently taken my car up to VERY close to 120mph and still had AT LEAST 1500rpms on my tach.

I have read many places that it is good for 132mph versus the 149mph for stock gearing.

I don't mind it though; I rarely drive that fast...if I can't take 'em by 100-110mph - I stop.
i do to but i was playing around on the highway with a GS300 and i got embarrassed by him when my car started cutting on/off at 122 and he flew by me
Old 09-23-09, 09:58 AM
PilotSmith
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts

You are correct but when do cars even race from 0-60 exact? and stop at 60mph. Also, very very rarely would you see a GS4XX with these gears and no high stall torque converter. To me, it would be just PLAIN STUPID to put these gears in if you don't have a high stall torque converter or you aren't running FI.

The ENTIRE POINT of buying this LSD is for more traction and to put that power to the ground effectively. A STOCK GS4XX shouldn't have ANY traction problems whatsoever on decent tires. This mod will actually become counterproductive in this instance.

The 3.76 gearing will make the car faster (accleration) than a GS with the 3.23 stock gearing; it's just mechanics and easy to understand. At certain MPH intervals yeah, one would come out over the other due to changes in shift points but overall the 3.76 will give better performance.

Now, combine that with more power adders AND a PI TC and you can hang with 425hp cars such as my recent run-in with a Charger SRT8.
Mine has the ZR rated Michelin Pilot Sport tires which I believe are fairly sticky (they wear out quite fast so I hope so!) However, when I was timing 0-60 it was VERY hard to put the power down on the road. The tires would break loose and start spinning very easily. I'm guessing the people at Edmunds who got 0-60 in 5.4s stock must have had perfect road, tire and temperature conditions. Best I could get was in low 6. There was plenty of extra power to do better but I could not transfer it to the road. I imagine with the LSD that takes care of that problem and also better traction on the turns? But getting even lower MPG would be a drag...

sakataj - what MPG were you getting with the LSD and what was your driving style and % highway vs % city?
Old 09-23-09, 10:18 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

sakataj - what MPG were you getting with the LSD and what was your driving style and % highway vs % city?
14-16 with ac on. driving is fairly heavy footed....although im not anymore and bout 60% highway 40% city