GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS430 vs. TL Type-S

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-02, 08:10 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Time for an update (for those of you who care...)

It had started to look like the deal fell apart. Despite the salesman promising they had ordered me a new car from Japan, for a whole bunch of reasons I figured out that they were selling me one that was already on the lot. Not a big deal except that he LIED to me. To me, that is a big deal. A very big deal. A deal-breakingly big deal...

Anyway, we talked today and he apologized for the "misunderstanding". He apologized profusely enough that I either believe him or feel sorry for him (or I want the GS badly enough to forgive him).

They are still awaiting arrival of the L-Tuned parts, which should take about 10 more days. He estimated a couple of days for installation so we should have our car within two weeks.

Apparently this is the first L-Tuned GS they have sold since 1998 and the only Stage 2 they have EVER sold. It's a big deal--I guess the general manager and the owner want to take pictures and all when it's done. The good part is that their chief mechanic won the competition last year as the best Lexus mechanic in the U.S. He won a trip to Japan to tour the factory and other sites, which I think is pretty darn cool. Anyway, he's the guy who will be installing our L-Tuned kit, so I have faith that it will be done well.

I'll keep you all posted...

Last edited by Iceman; 04-25-02 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04-25-02, 08:49 PM
GS300.ru
Pole Position

Talking

Signs if somebody has Lexus:
1. Driving on the freeway you notice some many Lexuses that you never seen in your life
2. Leaving Paking lot you are looking at both cars parked next to you, returning you are looking at your doors
3. Have you ever seen club geo on anybodies rear window
4. When you open your browser, what is your first thought? www.c….
5. Leaving and locking the car you turn your had to picture how beautiful she is and how clean her wheels are.

Somebody wants to continue?

Enjoy your new car, remember all of the above might happen to you sooner or later
Old 04-25-02, 09:23 PM
itsallgood
Lead Lap

your trying to find a parking stall and keep passing up on the ones who's cars just don't look like you want to park next to...then realize your not driving your GS, your driving your GF's car, and turn to see that your GF has looks that could kill you because your taking up her shopping time You guys know what I'm talking about....

Aloha
Old 04-25-02, 09:46 PM
GS300.ru
Pole Position

Congratulations!!!
Attached Images  
Old 04-25-02, 09:51 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

that sucks about the dealer, but i dont know if i could ever trust a dealer that lied to me... are you sure you misunderstood him and this wasnt a tactic of his to try and get you to buy the car???

btw, gs430= nice nice nice
Old 04-26-02, 02:11 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Apparently this is the first L-Tuned GS they have sold since 1998"

Forgive me if I am wrong, but I thought that L-Tuned parts became available in 2000 or 2001. I purchased my GS brand new in January of 1999. At that time, there was no L-tuned option (aftermarket or factory). Just wanted to make sure your dealer wasn't trying to BS you.
Old 04-26-02, 05:47 AM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

I know when everything is done you will post the pics of it .....RIGHT!!!
Old 04-26-02, 07:57 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Of course I will post the pics--I can't wait!

As for L-Tuned not being around back in '98, if someone could confirm that I'd REALLY like to know. That would show me beyond a shadow of a doubt that the salseman is blowing smoke up my a$$ and, unfortunately, I would walk away from this deal and have to start all over again.

Why is it that now that we decided on a car and got all excited about it that all this crap is happening to jeopardize it??!!
Old 04-26-02, 09:34 AM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Iceman
As for L-Tuned not being around back in '98, if someone could confirm that I'd REALLY like to know. That would show me beyond a shadow of a doubt that the salseman is blowing smoke up my a$$ and, unfortunately, I would walk away from this deal and have to start all over again.
Ice,

L-Tuned didn't come out until the summer/fall of 2000. I remember because I got my GS during Spring '00, and L-Tuned was not available until I installed my Eibach/Bilsteins back then. You can confirm a more precise timeline from Steve Ganz or call TRD directly.

I don't think you should walk away from this deal if you're getting 6K of sticker! Get through the deal and you wouldn't have to deal with the sales rep again.

I live in the Bay Area. Which dealership are you going through? I believe Lexus of Serramonte has the most experience around here with L-Tuned and other aftermarket mods. I guess the advantage of getting L-Tuned at time of purchase is having the cost built in the price of vehicle if you're financing.

Good luck.
Old 04-26-02, 10:21 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

This is at Lexus of Concord and I'm dealing with the fleet manager. I hear what you're saying about getting through the deal, but just on principle I won't give my hard-earned money to someone who lies to me. Besides, if I have now caught him in two flat-out deceptions, what else has he/will he lie about? They FedEx'd me all the sales paperwork that has no mention of paying off the BMW lease. When I asked about that yesterday they just said to trust them, that we have a deal, it's separate paperwork, blah, blah... How can I trust them now?

I'm not saying the deal is dead, but it is not the rosy Lexus sales experience I first thought it was going to be. Again, I'll keep eveyone posted...
Old 04-26-02, 12:47 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

yeah whos to say that you wont find another fault in the deal or something happen with the car??>
Old 04-26-02, 02:23 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Iceman:

Sorry these responses are putting a damper on your excitement. Maybe b/c you were new to Lexus the dealership thought they could slip one by you. But now you know the truth, why not confront them?

Either way, I wouldn't walk away from the deal. You seem to be getting a great price and will be getting a great car. Purchase the car, and then if you want, service it elsewhere. Just let your dealership know of your dissatisfaction. Good luck to you.
Old 04-26-02, 04:10 PM
LexFather

Yo Iceman, I can vouch for what Qbranchcars said, L-tuned not available till August 2000, GS only.

Hell, take it to GM, maybe u can get some free stuff since the salesman is lying like crazy. Understand his excitement, Lexus sells 180 GS430s a month or something like that, a rare sell.