GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: Which car would you choose?
98' Beige GS400 67k miles (stock)
44.14%
98' Spectra Blue GS300 65k miles (HID's, Spoiler, Chrome wheels, Navigation, Nakamachi, etc...)
55.86%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Which car would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-02, 06:10 PM
zxlr8
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my 400s but - I would probably go for the 300 and a turbo setup.....unbeatable for a sedan. There is a lot to be said for color and options but I will tell you right now the 400 is worth more than the 1000 dif in price. Hard decision though. If you plan on and have the money to upgrade-get the 300.
Old 04-19-02, 01:09 AM
Sleepyboi
Lead Lap

i personally would get the GS3 cuz i love that spectra blue..i would have gotten it but when i went to get my car they didnt have it on the lot and i bought my white GS the same day i went to look. Even tho the GS3 is not as quick as the GS4 its still no slug...i mean come on its a 2JZ-GE! =)

Boris
Old 04-19-02, 02:49 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: GS300

Originally posted by wwest
In my mind the V8 isn't a "proper" fit for the GS, weight and size considered. Additionally, just what does the V8 "give" you, except for the ability to lay rubber down on the road and attract attention, including that of the cops.

The GS300 has almost the same HP as the 92 LS400, more than enough power for 99% of the time, I often run mine in snow mode to avoid the throttle tip-in surge.

And all-in-all the GS300 you described seemed a much nicer, better equipped vehicle.
See, now I see the exact opposite way. I think the GS300 should have NEVER been made. The GS400 should have been the ONLY model (at a lower price point). Maybe it's enough power for YOU 99% of the time, but not for others. The more powerful engine FITS the GS. The GS is a Luxury SPORTS Sedan....not JUST a Luxury Sedan like the LS. SPORTS usually means it's somewhat fast. The GS is a BIG HEAVY car...there's a reason why in Japan, the most popular model is the V300 (the TURBO charged version...) not the S300 (basically the GS300)...

The only reason why the GS300 is so popular is because of the price...I mean how many people would REALLY take the GS300 if the GS400/430 was the same price??

You can also lay rubber with a GS300 too. So by your logic, the GS300 is also a "boy racer" car. Maybe you should have just bought a LS400 to avoid the "boy racer" image of the GS altogether!

The V8 does give you the "ability" to lay rubber, but does that mean we all do it? I love being able to go UPHILL with some steam. I love the passing power. I like knowing that I have the power on tap if I need it. I'd rather have too much than not enough... I never lay down rubber (on purpose) on the streets...for the very reason you gave. Just because you have it, doesn't mean you abuse it...
Old 04-19-02, 04:35 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

amen to that.
Old 04-19-02, 04:47 PM
SADDLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would also go with the 300, that is an awesome color, and you've got navi and HIDs

drew
Old 04-19-02, 05:11 PM
ARB
Lead Lap

Guys, thanks again for all the great replys. I must say that everyone has made very good points for both cars. Today I went to take a look at the car(Spectra Blue GS300). BEAUTIFUL color, although the dealer told me it had been repainted (Carfax showed no accidents ever and a Clean title, maybe the owner decided to fix it on their own and not notify the insurance/ police(can't always trust Carfax!!!) Anyway I decided to have the car inspected so I brought it to the nearest Certified Lexus Dealership. The seller/(dealer) of the vehicle said that if anything came up wrong in the inspection that he would work with me on the price Well, guess what the inspection showed. As far as paintwork and frame damage they said the car may have had a minor fendor bender if anything but structurally(frames/paint) the car was in perfect condition. BUT mechanically the car needed a ****load of work done to it:eek: :eek: :eek: . It needed new brakes/ tires, a new air filter, new distributor cap, new fuel filter, alignment, and a new rotor I couldnt believe it, they told me that total repairs including labor would cost $2000 to $3000. When the dealer heard all this he **** his pants. The Service person also told me that they(the dealer I was buying it from) were selling the car illegally as per Lexus Certification(due to the worn brakes/ tires). The dealer(seller) was willing to slash $1000 off the price but no more so I told him sorry but I dont feel like spending $1k to $2k of my own money just to bring the car to where it should have already been. Oh well I really liked that car(especially the color) but unless another Spectra Blue GS300 with similar mileage comes around(which I highly doubt will happen) it looks like I will be getting a 400(beige was sold already), which shouldn't be as hard to locate.

Thanks again guys for all your help ARB
Old 04-19-02, 06:37 PM
R.U. IN AW?
Lexus Test Driver

Default Hmmmm......?

The Lexus dealership sounds like the inspection they were doing was to certify the car for you. All the items listed are what they do to certify the car. You may want to get another opinion. Damn near everythnig he listed to you was the exact samething that they do to ceritfy Lexus vehicles. Maybe IMO he was trying to steer you away from buying the car or then again he may have been doing you a favor. That's why I say get a 2nd opinion! Just thought it sounded like Bull$***.
Old 04-19-02, 08:42 PM
ARB
Lead Lap

Default Re: Hmmmm......?

Originally posted by RU-INAW
The Lexus dealership sounds like the inspection they were doing was to certify the car for you. All the items listed are what they do to certify the car. You may want to get another opinion. Damn near everythnig he listed to you was the exact samething that they do to ceritfy Lexus vehicles. Maybe IMO he was trying to steer you away from buying the car or then again he may have been doing you a favor. That's why I say get a 2nd opinion! Just thought it sounded like Bull$***.
Wow, You know they even said that the car would basically need the "60,000 mile Tune Up". Were they just trying to get me to have thw dealer do the repair ther so they would make $2-$3grand or were the problems legitimate? It seemed a little sketchy. Who do I believe! I am not a mechanic so I can not inspect it myself. I also would not want to pass up a great car that just needed breaks & tires which the Dealer probably would have paid for anyway. I guess I could have it inspected again at another dealer and drop another $100 bucks and another day at the dealer but what if they pull the same thing. Plus there are no other Lexus Dealerships in the city. I would have drive to another city to do it. What do you guys think I should do???
Old 04-20-02, 12:16 AM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

at the time I bought my car I dont think this forum even existed, so I didnt know what I know now about our GS's. If I was to go out and do the whole buy over again I would probably save the money and buy a GS300 and with the money I saved I can do a turbo upgrade or engine swap. Dont get me wrong I love my GS400 and wouldnt trade it out know but the GS300 has great mod potential if you have the money, on the other hand the GS400 is fast from the factory and it would cost less to make it faster.

Now if you plan on getting it for looks and not the preformance I would suggest you go with the 300 since they are both the same looking car with the same options.
Old 04-20-02, 11:38 AM
BadBtsz4u
Lead Lap

Thumbs down

The stuff the lexus dealer told you the car needed and the price is bogus.All that stuff like brakes,tires,caps,plugs,etc is all MINOR stuff that you can get done for WAY less by your local mechanic.Other than the tires I get all that done for next to nothing and you could too.Seriously dont let them ice your deal like that there is NOTHING wong with the car.Im patrial toward the 400 still but seriously take it too a mechanic you can trust if you can.Also you could have the place thats selling the car replace all those wear n tear items.After all it wont cost em much.
Old 04-20-02, 11:46 AM
ARB
Lead Lap

Badbts, you know what I think you are right. The only problem is the car is located 300 miles from me and I dont know any mechanics in that area I have a very good mechanic locally, but I doubt the dealer would let me take his car 300(600 round trip) miles to my city to have it looked just for the possibility of me saying I don't want to buy it. I guess I should try to find something a little more local, or just buy an aftermarket $0 deductible warranty right off the bat on whatever I buy and not give a **** what happens to it. Let the warranty company pay for anything it needs, although I will still have to pay for wear and tear items.
Old 04-20-02, 12:36 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

I still would choose the GS400
Old 04-20-02, 12:42 PM
ARB
Lead Lap

GS400_PUSHER, unless I can find another Spectra Blue GS300 in very good condition, I will most likely be going with a 400.
Old 04-20-02, 01:33 PM
ARB
Lead Lap

Guys, I just recieved a fax from the dealership of the report of the inspection. Well turns out the car only NEEDS new tires/brakes, and new air/fuel filter. The other stuff was RECOMMENDED Well unless the dealer will pay for those things(which I highly doubt he will) I am shootin for the 400.
Old 04-20-02, 02:44 PM
BadBtsz4u
Lead Lap

Originally posted by ARB
Guys, I just recieved a fax from the dealership of the report of the inspection. Well turns out the car only NEEDS new tires/brakes, and new air/fuel filter. The other stuff was RECOMMENDED Well unless the dealer will pay for those things(which I highly doubt he will) I am shootin for the 400.
Actually if it means selling the car or not I am almost positive the dlr will pay to replace the tires,brakes,and filters.Those are all safety features that they HAVE to replace.Also, again these things cost dlrs next to nothing to fix.Even the tires which Im assuming are 16'' are inexspensive.So if it means blowing the deal Im sure the dlr will take care of it you just have to know how to negotiate.

P.S Just get the gs400

Quick Reply: Which car would you choose?