GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How do I know if this kit is fake?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-02, 07:08 PM
RevoGS400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I know if this kit is fake?

Some of you mentioned it's fake, but when I bought the car the guy said it was a revolution kit...how would I know? Thanks.

Old 04-17-02, 07:44 PM
R.U. IN AW?
Lexus Test Driver

Question How would you know?

Hey "REVO",

Don't take it to heart. If you were like me before I even knew that "CL" existed, I would have done the same thing. The "Revo" kit is a knock off of the "WIN" kit and of course I'm sure you would know this by now. The Win kit has badges on it to show it is original. I believe that that's the only way to know. Other then that you really couldn't tell. This has been brought up before, but no one really gave a distinct way to know the difference between the two. You know the saying "people always have something to talk about". Is it out of jealousy? I think so. So all you haters out there give the man some props, at least he had the gonnads to say it was a "Revo" and not lie about it. Actually I think your car looks really tight. Why are you selling the aftermarket pieces anyways?
Old 04-17-02, 07:59 PM
Rover
Pole Position

Hey, Revo.
Listen I don't know how to tell
if the kit is fake or not. But I
just wanted to second what RU-INAW
said. Don't take it to heart, bro.
I mean if your car looks great, runs
good, then as far as I'm concerned
you've got a hot ride. That's all man.
A lot of people do hate too much, you know.
Pay them no mind. And your baby looks tight.
Regards.
Old 04-17-02, 08:14 PM
RacingAristo

One factor that can set fake and real is their quality. I'm talking the fittment of the bodykit, and the strength of the bodykit (fake one tends to be a lot weaker cuz maybe they didn't coat enough protection stuff on it). But you don't have a real one to compare, I guess it's hard to distinguish those two.

But as far as I can see on your pic, the kit seems to fit perfectly.
Old 04-17-02, 08:34 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well at least the seller didn't lie.... it's the REAL revolution kit....... but revolution kit is a knock-off kit to start with.

But like everyone said, it looks nice and I wouldn't worry about it now.
Old 04-17-02, 09:00 PM
Hudini
Lead Lap

Another way you can tell a Japanese authentic vs. knockoff is there is a raised line at the ends of the kit (ex. front bumper...there will be lines where the front tires meet the kit). I found this out with my Gracer Lip I just put on.

My friend, who owns a body shop, asked me if I wanted to sand the lines(it is near where you bolt the lip to the front bumper) down or not. It was then he told me that Japan kits usually have that marking due to the fact their bodykit molding process uses a front/rear mold for each part hence the excellent, closest to stock, fit on their products..........

By the way, your car looks dope!!!!!!! Keep it the way it is........
Old 04-17-02, 09:20 PM
itsallgood
Lead Lap

No worry, your ***** looks tight...you know there's always going to be haters out there...
Old 04-17-02, 09:30 PM
RacingAristo

Hudini,

Thanks for your info! Soon I'll see if that theory stands or not.
Old 04-17-02, 09:58 PM
gs430ondubz
Driver

Default dayam

hey, forget what everyone is telling you that its fake or wut ever. fake or not, your car is tite. its off da heezy fo sheezy. hey, post some more pics so the rest of us can get jealous. payce
Old 04-17-02, 10:17 PM
Hudini
Lead Lap

Hey RA,

What are you gettin'...????? I asked Ricky to pack a bodykit for me in his suitcase from his quest in Japan but he said that he lost the suitcase???????????? LOL
Old 04-17-02, 11:20 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey Hudini,

Ricky lost the "suitcase" that you ordered too...

:eek:

one of my best buddies from back home will be in hawaii next month with his lady and he asked me to meet him there...too bad i do not have vacation time now..otherwise i could bring those "deep dish air willdons to you..."hehehe
Old 04-18-02, 05:09 AM
gson20s
Driver School Candidate

hey that car with the win kit was for sale in the autobuys how much did you pay for it he was asking like $43,000 right damm thats alot for a 99 model now days any how i was looking into that same car but it was sold hahah any how very nice car
Old 04-18-02, 06:29 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

RevoGS400,
One thing you will find on this site is alot of brand loyalty, and an affinity for the high-end brands. We do drive high dollar cars, so it make some sense not to put crap on them. However, it alway comes down to how happy you are with the product.
If the kit fits well and holds up to most abuse, I say more power to ya. I personally like mesh wheels, and the one I like the most happens to be made by Konig (a knock off company). So my dilemma... do I buy what I like or what is accepted? We'll see how well I take my own advice in the future.
Old 04-18-02, 11:36 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Mumbles, if Konig makes it, then that menas that there is a REAL one out there...which one is it?
Old 04-19-02, 05:32 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by manaray
Hey Mumbles, if Konig makes it, then that menas that there is a REAL one out there...which one is it?
manaray,
It's the Imagine, mesh style. I've looked at the Work Rezax and the A/X Type M, both of which I like, but the style/coloration of the Imagine just appeals to me more... just a personal preferance thing really.

Quick Reply: How do I know if this kit is fake?