GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

PIAA white LED and Phillips 6000k

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-02, 12:25 AM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pearlpower: I am using PIAA xtreme white. I think that the Plasma white may be better for the 6000k light, which is what I have now. But the xtreme white did look good with the OEM HID's.

Has anyone tried the PIAA Plasma Wedges?
Old 04-20-02, 08:09 AM
concepts
Driver

Originally posted by Dex

Nothing personal concepts, but I beg to differ.

"Bright" is a relative term. I bought these bulbs as a trial replacement for my Polarg M6s. Did I expect them to be brighter than an 18w incadescet bulb? Maybe, given the statements made about LEDs.

They are nowhere as bright; rather pathetic actually.

They might be "whiter" than OEM wedge bulbs, but barely brighter.

Oh well - lesson learned. Buy PIAA wedges. Mine are shipping...

Caveat Emptor

If you look DIRECTLY from the front of the "LED" bulb, it will be brighter than any other bulb (except for oversized 18 watt M6 or N6 bulbs)- If you are off axis (to the side, etc), I agree, the illumination will not be as bright. The bulbs are great for turn signals, corners, etc, they light up faster, etc... But personally, I still have M4 bulbs in my car.
Old 04-20-02, 08:16 AM
concepts
Driver

Originally posted by HI98GS
Pearlpower: I am using PIAA xtreme white. I think that the Plasma white may be better for the 6000k light, which is what I have now. But the xtreme white did look good with the OEM HID's.

Has anyone tried the PIAA Plasma Wedges?

One day when I had too much time, I just took all the wedges available and installed them one by one into my GS:Here is the low down on the PIAA wedges and other wedges..

Polarg M4: Very even spread (what I am using now). Very close to intensity to the factory HIDs. No bright point (cannot tell where the filament of 'star' of light is coming from.

Polarg M6 or Hiper N6 (oversized): too bright for me. Didnt like the fact that the center parking lights were that bright.

Piaa Plasma: bluish yellow
Piaa Super Plasma wedge: Too blue and one area of the bulb had a bright white shine.
Piaa Superwhite Wedge: White bulb , may be perfect for Gs300 with non HIDs and white fogs
Piaa Xtreme: Whited bulb than the Superwhite. Hint of blue.
Piaa Yellow Wedge 19173: Matches my yellow fogs and yellow clear sides. Too much yellow though.

Wedge colored bulbs (which are CHEAP)
Purple: Nice purple color, didnt match with HID
Red: Nice pink color, I use them on my doors now (the flood lights on the front doors)
Green: Light green (why???) only if your car was green

Haven't tried the LED bulbs.

I can take photos of all the bulbs if there is enough interest (its a lot of work to photo them all on the car, so I want to make sure people can actually use the info)
Old 04-20-02, 02:25 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by HI98GS
I purchased the "white/white" bulb from sigma automotive.

www.sigmaautomotive.com

I talked with Robert. He was very friendly....
I wanted to give my thumbs up for Robert at Sigma as well.

I just got off the phone with him and he was in fact very pleasant, knowledgable, and patient. Shipping from MA to NC UPS Ground is only 2-3 days too.

Talk about two different languages; he's in Mass, and I'm in NC Not all yankees are bad news.
Old 04-20-02, 07:25 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Dex

As usual, I am interested in your comments.

But how can "overpriced and overhyped" be fact?

To me, that's about as fact as stating "Lexus is overpriced and overhyped".

"Facts" are not open to intepretation. I think your comments are.

Now I know you are the lighting guru and everything, but I still think you should take caution to declaring opinions as facts.

For my money, I think they are quality bulbs, and that's all that really matters.

SO, lets not steal the thunder from Ricky's thread. Start another thread why you think PIAAs are overpriced and overhyped.

If anyone wants me to explain this, PM or email me.
Old 04-21-02, 01:06 AM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HI98GS: I think those are cool. But, aren't the smaller bulbs illegal on Hawaii streets? Sorry, I'm new to this. Just got an '02 GS3 Sport Ed. and looking to add a little character to the car. Any good ideas?