GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Is there a write up for....

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-09, 08:56 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

My reasons are my reasons, shouldnt matter. Not once did I say there was a problem with mine... blah blah blah... not going to go on with the obvious... plain and simple, the support bars are in the way of what I want to do with my trunk. No I dont need any suggestions on what to do, i'm a professional at what I do and theres no other way to do it but get rid of them... plain and simple, they're in the way...
Old 09-12-09, 10:22 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, said Mr. Jokster. Now, do please take pictures. :d
Old 09-12-09, 11:18 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EN_VY
Well, said Mr. Jokster. Now, do please take pictures. :d
still finishing up my trunk. Will be done in morning for sure. Just have to attach a few hoses and thats it. Then come monday I can get the estimate on the trunk...
Old 09-12-09, 11:25 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Disagree, it's terribly said.

Your decision on what to do and your reasons is your perogative, but if you give some background on what your problem people can help you better solve your problem. If the bars are in the way, then that's a different problem then they are too weak.
If you don't say what your problem is, people are going to give you useless suggestions that don't work for you. This isn't a bad thing, this is because they have good intentions and want to help and make sure you're not doing something for no good reason. So don't get so defensive when people are just trying to help you.

Describing your problem rather then just just your assumed solution might get someone to recommend you a better solution then what you thought of.

Additionally, other people trying to understand what you are doing will get the wrong idea of what your problem is. And other people with weak bars may thing their only solution is to change to struts (unnessarily).
Even just acknowledging that the torsion bars are fine, but they are in the way eliminates and narrows down what your requirements are.

Last edited by raytseng; 09-12-09 at 11:30 PM.
Old 09-13-09, 12:11 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

who the hell is this guy?

and you're the only one questioning anything. everyone else is wanting to do the same thing. you must have invented these torsion bars cause you're getting pretty defensive about them..

MODS JUST DELETE THIS THREAD, ITS GOING NOWHERE AND I GOT WHAT I NEEDED

THANK YOU
Old 09-13-09, 01:51 AM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just think raytseng doesn't understand why we all understand perfectly what's being discussed here....

We don't like / feel the trunk spring design is too cheap for our cars. plus it gets in the way if you're packing your trunk to near full... have to think on packing to reserve space for the trunk supports...

These are some of the reasons for most of us to want to delete/replace the trunk springs to an alternative...

Try re-reading the thread.

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
I'm trying to convert to struts and get rid of the trunk supports.
This here is like "I'm trying change my brake calipers to Supra calipers" and you reply by saying "Check your brakes and its fluids and change to better pads"

Yes, it's correct as it's a cheaper alternative to what the OP is trying to do, but for someone to already asking about Supras on the GS, they'd already know the cheap alternative...
Old 09-14-09, 08:51 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by aka paco
then again SC's also tell you average mpg and GS don't
mine does....lol nav is nice

Originally Posted by bigguppy
Member "skperformance" did a write up on something similar. No shock was involve. I think you can use the idea and work with it.

Click Here
i tried this when i dynamatted my trunk and it didnt change ANYTHING for me

Originally Posted by raytseng
I want to know why you want to do this.

The link previous as a "fix" above isn't a fix, it's an workaround/patchwork repair for either
a) weak or worn out torsion bars or
b) the wrong torsion bars if you added on a spoiler

Otherwise, this is like saying repair your old bald tires with tire patches, instead of just getting new tires.

The proper way to attack this problem is to at least start with a new pair of OEM trunk support torsion bars (get the one specified w/ spoiler). Do this and see if there's enough support before trying some hack workaround.

All of the people chiming in saying that there's some problem with their trunk or they hate their trunk, I'd venture to say haven't tried actually replacing their bars yet.
he wants to do this like alot of us want to do it, cause these are a cruddy flaw to the gs

Originally Posted by Solo_D33A
I just think raytseng doesn't understand why we all understand perfectly what's being discussed here....

This here is like "I'm trying change my brake calipers to Supra calipers" and you reply by saying "Check your brakes and its fluids and change to better pads"

Yes, it's correct as it's a cheaper alternative to what the OP is trying to do, but for someone to already asking about Supras on the GS, they'd already know the cheap alternative...
well put or worded out i should say