GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

P0446

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-09, 10:25 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 4play4dr
^^x2..theres jus too many god damn hoses to check..and most mechanic shops will automatically try to get u to buy the canister..so hard to find a trustworthy mechanic nowadays
there are alot but i would rather have them checked out and pay a small amopunt for a hose then to replace the working charcoal canister and it not go away becuase u STILL have a rotted hose.

i got a good mechanic....he did this for me and all i bought him was lunch
Old 09-18-09, 06:12 PM
4play4dr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha..good stuff..i gotta find myself a trustworth mechanic
Old 09-23-09, 04:29 PM
arpham
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys this is weird..... i noticed this morning that the engine check light is OFF!!.... I did not take the battery out or anything.
Old 09-23-09, 05:01 PM
Lafool09
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had this same issue for over a yr and a half. I've replaced cannister and several gas caps, light keeps coming on. I've been told that the smoke machine will tell the stealership where it'e leaking from but here in the big city they do not have one. I think there is a leak but I don't want to keep throwing $'s. So if you find a solution please share.
Old 09-23-09, 06:15 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

I posted this in one of the other P0440 thread:

I too have this problem. One thing I've come to notice (from what I've read on here and what our members' mechanics are saying), is that mechanics are quick to say its the charcoal canister and you end up spending a poop load of money. My friend also said that and said that the other problem that comes to be the problem is the solenoid and not the canister. It fails and wont open or wont close and that ends up being the problem (and thats why you should smoke it with car on so that solenoid is in proper position). Im not sure if the canister assembly includes this solenoid, but if it does, well sure it will solve the problem, but the cheaper solenoid is the culprit I'm going to try the solenoid first myself and see what happens. When I put the "smoker" on today, we found that it was coming out of the exhaust tube (which is by the canister) and while playing with the pressure, led us both to believe that it IS a solenoid problem... however it can be anything in the emission system, from cracked lines to the expensive thing; the canister, not everyone will have the exact problem thus the reason for smoking it at all.

I'm still yet to do the solenoid deal (still recovering from last project ) but thats just an idea. Oh and, My CEL came on for a few days, then went off for a few days, then came back on for a day , then off for a day then since been on for about a week. In MY case, that also shows to be an electrical problem (solenoid).
Old 09-23-09, 10:13 PM
4play4dr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by arpham
Hey guys this is weird..... i noticed this morning that the engine check light is OFF!!.... I did not take the battery out or anything.
yea for some reason mine does that too every now n then
Old 09-24-09, 12:20 AM
lexus ASM
Driver

Theres a Vacuum switching valve in the cannister that comes as part of it, the reason that your mechanic see smoke is because its not sealing... Thats why the code is being thrown, the on board monitor pressurizes the system to check for leaks, that valve isnt closing and that is why pressure is leaking. Good thing you bought the cannister afterall.
Old 09-24-09, 12:23 AM
lexus ASM
Driver

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
I posted this in one of the other P0440 thread:

I too have this problem. One thing I've come to notice (from what I've read on here and what our members' mechanics are saying), is that mechanics are quick to say its the charcoal canister and you end up spending a poop load of money. My friend also said that and said that the other problem that comes to be the problem is the solenoid and not the canister. It fails and wont open or wont close and that ends up being the problem (and thats why you should smoke it with car on so that solenoid is in proper position). Im not sure if the canister assembly includes this solenoid, but if it does, well sure it will solve the problem, but the cheaper solenoid is the culprit I'm going to try the solenoid first myself and see what happens. When I put the "smoker" on today, we found that it was coming out of the exhaust tube (which is by the canister) and while playing with the pressure, led us both to believe that it IS a solenoid problem... however it can be anything in the emission system, from cracked lines to the expensive thing; the canister, not everyone will have the exact problem thus the reason for smoking it at all.
BINGO!!! And the solenoid only comes as part of the cannister... Theres also one under the hood you should just replace that one too.
Old 09-24-09, 12:34 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus ASM
BINGO!!! And the solenoid only comes as part of the cannister... Theres also one under the hood you should just replace that one too.
hmmm...only comes at part of the assembly? thats bull poo! however, my bud said that in some cases you can 'clean' up the solenoid and it can work fine. I'd much rather try that then spend $250+ on a damn plastic canister hope I can clean it
Old 07-04-10, 05:52 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I replaced my canister yesterday

I replaced my canister in about 3 hours with a wheels-free lift. It was the 2nd time I attempted the replacement of the canister. The first time it took 4 hours to get it down, and then I couldn't get the last hose off. I put it back together and I attempted it again yesterday. I was successful, and it only took 3 hours from start to finish. I've driven 150 miles so far, and still no light. I've been using my hand-held scanner to check for a pending code, and still nothing. My canister was definitely bad. While checking "I/M MONITORS", every system has "set" already except "EVAP". How long does it take to set that EVAP code? I'll keep checking every few days to see it if will set. If I keep smelling gas, I am sure the code will not set.

However, I still have a concern. I still smell gas fumes in front of the right rear wheels, but just faintly. I am beginning to think a hose is leaking. The big hose with the clip has an o'ring inside of it. It felt fine, so I reinstalled it. The hose is supposed to be about 16.00, and I may still get it. The other end of that hose connects to a hose that goes to the front of the car. I think the driveshaft and exhaust have to be removed to change it.

Before I changed the canister, I was getting a code for PO440, 441, and 446 within 50 miles. I would say my repair was successful IF I didn't have that smell of gas.

I'll keep everyone posted on whether the repair was successful.

Last edited by gserep1; 07-04-10 at 06:11 PM.
Old 07-04-10, 07:49 PM
4double0
Driver

I had the same problem about a year ago and the dealer told me it was the canister; took it to a local mechanic and found that it was the purge valve solenoid. The cost was aroud $200.
Old 07-04-10, 11:39 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you get the gas fume smell prior to changing the Purge Fuel Solenoid? I must be nuts, but I think I smell gasoline fumes again with the new canister installed.

I think I read that someone changed the canister and still has the check engine light. That would be really bad if that happened. Could anyone confirm that?

I'll keep checking and see if that smell continues, and if the dreaded check engine light comes back. It has been out for 1 whole day so far, but is probably too early to tell.

Thanks