GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

which muffler is good!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-01, 05:21 AM
lawgs300

Cool

hi! everybody .

i am wondering which muffler is good for lexus ..?

greddy PE , HKS hyper , borla s/s, trust , or others ...

i prefer a nice low frequency sound, and power...
please give me some suggestions !!

thank you!!

Old 03-11-01, 07:13 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Which Muffler

This is a very debated topic here on the forum-you will find a very good mix of aftermarket mufflers that people have chosen. It really depends on you and your style.

I have opted for the Borla S/S. I feel that these are the least noticeable when compared to stock mufflers from a visual perspective, yet they offer a very nice sound without being obnoxiously loud - keeping with the MO of a "luxury/sports car". The other kits you mentioned will offer different styles of visual effects as well as sound characteristics. Unless you plan on doing an entire exhaust system I wouldn't expect too much along the lines of a power gain, but it'll sound a whole lot better.
Old 03-11-01, 07:51 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if loudness doesn't bother you get GReddy! i love mine, it is SO nice, its a beauty go GReddy!

Old 03-11-01, 01:37 PM
CJGS4
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those are humongous..hahah.. The Borla has a great sound, not too quiet, not too loud, its a soft rumble abt between 900-2100RPM and on the freeway it sounds almost like stock...The tips are a little different from factory but there arent any huge mufflers sticking out the bottom... The pricing is about 400 dollars and they bolt on in about 45 minutes. You won't gain more power from a Cat-back system on the GS400 because the stock system is already very efficient. As a matter of fact a larger cat-back system will actually cause the car to lose low end torque.. The Borla has been dyno'ed to add 11HP when combined with a 40 dollar K&N drop in air filter so it definately adds power...

-Chris Y.
Old 03-11-01, 06:36 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go for custom APEXi N1 exhaust if you want the unique, one of a kind look and style for the GS (No dual tip for GS for the N1 style mufflers.) Actually it's 2 of a kind. The tip is big but the canister is not HUGE like Greddy P/E (it looks very nice but the canister is too big.)

If you get Greddy and your car is lowered, the exhaust will scratch ALOT. (Some guy on Ebay was selling his P/E that was on his 99 GS300. Geeze the canister is scratched up like crazy!)

But N1 is loud, and you have to go through alot of trouble doing the pipes and stuff. I've had experience!!
Old 03-11-01, 09:03 PM
edgarg4
Rookie

Thumbs up Tanabe

You may try the Tanabe, it looks good fit at the rear bumper, and sound pretty good. the Tababe not only mufflers, they include the Y-pipe too.

EdgarG4
Old 03-11-01, 10:46 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Here... APEXi N1s. The canister won't have problems scratching with the ground. Don't know if P/E will if they're on a lowered GS, but my N1s are clearing really well even after lowered.

Tanabe should be the same. If you like the cans like the P/E, try Blitz NURspec also.
Attached Thumbnails which muffler is good!-n1back.jpg  
Old 03-16-01, 09:32 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

makin fun of my GREDDY AY? haha yea i know its huge, but i love it, wouldn't trade it for nothing, nope, i love it

just can't imagine an engine sounding any better, and i don't want to take a change to make it sound worse, yea the canisters to scratch a lot, but its only nocitable if you get under them, so i don't really mind, besides from inside the car you just hear
Old 03-16-01, 11:59 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by LexusRules
makin fun of my GREDDY AY? haha yea i know its huge, but i love it, wouldn't trade it for nothing, nope, i love it

I can understand why u like it so much. Afterall, it is a GREAT looking muffler. I just think that when I look at it from the bottom it'll be nice and shiny (but how often do those times come by? )

Man, Hope you can record the sound of P/E or something. Since you talk so much about the great sound I would really like to hear it. I recorded a few clips of my exhaust sound, but they came out weird and unreal on the computer.
Old 03-17-01, 12:51 AM
RacingAristo

Perhaps you should consider L-Tuned muffler. I have Borla S/S myself but somebody thinks it's a bit too loud. I actually enjoy it so.... you better hear it before you make the decision.
Old 03-17-01, 03:25 AM
CJGS4
Rookie

Talking

Yea... I have the Borla exhaust and my friend (a girl) complained that my car was a bit louder, she didn't realize that I had an exhaust and said "I thouht Lexus's were supposed to be really quiet"... It does tend to resonate pretty loudly during 900RPM-2000RPM acceleration but on the freeway there is no resonance, and its not really that its loud but that the tone is extremely deep..

-Chris Y.
Old 03-17-01, 06:16 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Default Sound

i will try and record some clips with my digital camera, it will take time before i can actually get my Miny DV movies on the net, i'm looking into the hardware needed.

i have noticed from MSray's video clips that the GS4 sounds different than the GS3 with GReddy, although it may just be the computer
Old 03-17-01, 08:35 AM
RacingAristo

Originally posted by CJGS4
Yea... I have the Borla exhaust and my friend (a girl) complained that my car was a bit louder, she didn't realize that I had an exhaust and said "I thouht Lexus's were supposed to be really quiet"
-Chris Y.
my mom complained about the noise and because we have owned ES300 and GS400 so she knows how quiet Lexus should be. Oops.
Old 03-17-01, 08:58 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

my mom says when she has buisness people in the car they complain about the loudness, hehe good thing for me my mom once owned a camereo 1972, so she knows how to put up with a reasnably loud car! only 3 years and then shes gettin an SC430
Old 03-17-01, 05:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,438 Likes on 1,598 Posts

FWIW, I've ordered an L-Tuned muffler/tip set. Should arrive this week. Will post feedback once it's on.

Quick Reply: which muffler is good!