GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Door Dings :( (Ding Wizards??)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-02, 04:13 PM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Door Dings :( (Ding Wizards??)

I'm pretty pissed off. Today, before class, I went to go find a good parking spot. I'm very cautious about my GS getting hit by somebody's door, so I parked far away from everyone else. Anyway, after class, I come out next to my car, and there's white paint on my silver GS. I look to the left of me and there's a white car parked so damn close to me! To make a long story short, the damn passenger door on his car nicked my drivers side door.

There's two small dings on my door now. No paint was scuffed or anything. The white crap from the other car rubbed right off, but the sight of imperfection bothers me more than I can explain

Here's a description of my two dings:
Two small dings, less than half an inch from each other to the right of the drivers side door handle. It has no paint damage. The two dings are right on top of each other and very close. Most likely the result of someone opening their door and hitting my door. The dent on top is about 1/4 of an inch in diameter, and the one on the bottom looks sort of like a "vertical dent" (more of like an oval shape); it is about 1/2 an inch in diameter.

Does Dent Wizard do a good job? I've heard a lot about them and their paintless dent removal. I was wondering though, how big of a hole is there going to be on the inside of my door (the spot they have to drill to go through), and do they cover it up, and is it noticeable? Something like that may bother me too, but not that much Sorry, I'm very weary about my car

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm feelin' kinda bummed and mad about this whole thing, since I have only had this car for two weeks now.
Old 04-22-02, 05:38 PM
Murph
Pole Position

I've now used Dent Wizard twice and have been completely satisfied. Both were garage mishaps. One a dent in the trunk by the L emblem as I backed into the garage door (very early in the AM). That was $200. The other a dent on the top of the front fender when a 2x4 fell on it.That was $100. I know how you feel.

Murph
Old 04-22-02, 05:45 PM
cyclemax
Lead Lap

Default Good News.....Easy Fix

A good friend of mine works for Dent Wiz. The results are amazing. They use special tools to get in behind the dent, usually without removing anything from the car. From your description of location, I believe these are the easiest for them to fix.

Make sure your car is super clean when you have it done. They use the reflection of the body as a straightness guide.

If it is done right, you will never see the ding again, even on black cars.
Old 04-22-02, 05:52 PM
lex430
Lead Lap

3rd week with new black car, found a dent size of nickle above front driver door, not noticeable by others, but VERY OBVIOUS to the owner of the car

had one of those dent wiz guys, $80, and 1/2 hour, back to perfection, no drill, just special tool that they insert through the glass to the inside of the door panel, and with some small and calculated knocks, the dent disappeared. It's quite amazing to watch.
Old 04-22-02, 06:29 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

best way to go ,I just had a bad exp. with them. They tried to charge me for what type of car I drove I thought 275 was a bit to high for one dent.
Old 04-22-02, 08:29 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

I agree with those who have said how amazing this process is. A skilled dent removal guy can literally work miracles. You are lucky (if you can say having some inconsiderate nincompoop ding your car is lucky) that it's on the door, because they can reach right down through the window slot and push it out. They only have to drill holes for quarter panels and stuff like that. Good luck--I hope you got that guy's license plate number and whatever other info you could (maybe from a bill with his address left lying in the passenger seat or something). It's a long shot, but he SHOULD have to pay to fix the damage, not you...
Old 04-22-02, 08:40 PM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Thanks!! I really appreciate all the responses from you guys. Sounds like I don't have much to worry about then. My friends laugh at me for getting pissed at such a small thing because they can't even see it, but for the owner, it is VERY noticeable

One more quick question though I have three choices in my area:

PAUL'S BODY & PAINT SHOP, INC
CAPITOL CHEVROLET, INC.
CITY CHRYSLER/JEEP

These three are listed at the Dent Wizard website. I'm assuming that the dealer sites would be more expensive, but do you think they would do a better job? I'm in Auburn, AL BTW, so I'd have to drive down to Montgomery.

Oh, and I think I meant "Dent Wizards" instead of Ding Wizards in the thread title my bad
Old 04-22-02, 09:04 PM
fasthuh
Lead Lap

I hate door dings ! I make it a habit to park at the ends of the parking lot, and ride the line or get as close to the curb as possible to get away from the next car.

Those dent guys do a great job, I want to learn how to do that, any idea on where I can get started?
Old 04-22-02, 09:41 PM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Iceman
I agree with those who have said how amazing this process is. A skilled dent removal guy can literally work miracles. You are lucky (if you can say having some inconsiderate nincompoop ding your car is lucky) that it's on the door, because they can reach right down through the window slot and push it out. They only have to drill holes for quarter panels and stuff like that. Good luck--I hope you got that guy's license plate number and whatever other info you could (maybe from a bill with his address left lying in the passenger seat or something). It's a long shot, but he SHOULD have to pay to fix the damage, not you...
I noticed paint on the side of my door, then I rubbed it off, and was like "phew!" -- but when I went back to my place and parked in the garage, I went to go clean my wheels -- and while i'm kneeled down next to my front left tire, i look to my right and see a damn bent reflection of my surroundings where i rubbed off the paint.

If I saw the dent before I left, I would have camped out and waited for the fu**er oh well, I guess dings are a part of life. good to know there's folks trained to get rid of them

Oh, but yeah, should I go to a dealer based "Dent Wizard" location (they have a chevy and chrysler/jeep place close by), or a non-dealer based place (check what i wrote two posts up)

Last edited by brendanlim; 04-22-02 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-23-02, 03:59 AM
cyclemax
Lead Lap

Brendan:

The shops you mention probably just have the Dent Wizard guy come out when called. Contacting them directly may save you a couple bucks (cut out the middle man). However, if the dent remover has several cars lined up at a specific location, it may be cheaper for you to get in with that group (he gets paid for travel time). In any event, you aren't talking about a whole lot of money, maybe a $25 difference. Call them directly and see what they say.

BTW, based on the dings you describe, I'd say you wouldn't be looking at more than $100. I think they have a website.
Old 04-23-02, 09:44 PM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by cyclemax
Brendan:

The shops you mention probably just have the Dent Wizard guy come out when called. Contacting them directly may save you a couple bucks (cut out the middle man). However, if the dent remover has several cars lined up at a specific location, it may be cheaper for you to get in with that group (he gets paid for travel time). In any event, you aren't talking about a whole lot of money, maybe a $25 difference. Call them directly and see what they say.

BTW, based on the dings you describe, I'd say you wouldn't be looking at more than $100. I think they have a website.
Dent Wizards e-mailed me back after I did the "estimate" thing on their website. They recommended that Paul guy, who I think obviously owns that Paul's Body Shop place.

Do you really think a small dent like that would run me over $100??

BTW -- Thanks for the help!
Old 04-23-02, 10:02 PM
jpmotdyn
Pole Position

I always park away from other cars and i still seem to get them. It really irritates me. I end up bringing my car to my dent guy every month it seems. He does hook me up though, only $40.
Old 04-24-02, 07:35 PM
cyclemax
Lead Lap

Shouldn't be more than $100 if they are simple dings in the door and easily accessible thru the window channel. Simple dings mean no creases or body lines, which I think is the case for you. They get paid for their skill though, not necessarily the time it takes to do the job, but it's worthwhile to negotiate anyway.
Old 04-24-02, 08:44 PM
Murph
Pole Position

I think they have a $100 min charge

Murph
Old 04-24-02, 10:02 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default SOLUTION

invest in a thick pile car cover for those times you must park at school or the mall. (www.covercraft.com) There are people at my school who cover up for 2 classes a day. i know why cuz they drive big lexuses and stupid people in l.a. can't drive

Quick Reply: Door Dings :( (Ding Wizards??)