GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2JZ-GE + Getrag 6spd

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-02, 05:43 PM
v300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by LS400 GOD
i think if you put the ge-trag 6 speed directly onto your 2jz-ge, your car will be a little slower. the ge-trag's gear ratio are meant for something with power like the supra motor.

your automatic is tuned exactly (or almost) for your motor. i would recommend getting just another or repair the tranny until you get the 2jz-gte
...what he said kind of. Hypothetically once you install the Getrag-6 your normal shifting points will be higher than normal. For instance you'll be shifting at 4K-5KRPM for the synchro and once you hit the next gear there's a chance that your RPM will be way too low and your car will do "the cha-cha" unless you disengage the clutch very slowly and step on the pedal at the same time. Also remember the factory 2JZGE has a recommended redline of 6500 hundred. There goes your mileage. When Supra TT owners loose there turbos or the head gasket blows this effect usually happens. The car is driveable but its not fun to drive anymore.

However the swap is possible... you'll need the ECU from the 5-speed IS300 for the conversion.
Old 04-23-02, 05:50 PM
v300
Lead Lap

I think you'll be better off with a fix at your local tranny shop. Also, where is this solenoid your dealer is talking about?... remember service consultants aren't always AASE certified. When a tranny is "busted" it's usually a couple of factors:

1) flexplate: damaged or improperly installed
2) torque convertor: not touching driveplate or not making contact with oil pump.
3) oil pump: the worse one to fix because your tranny has to be taken apart... might as well adjust the valve pressure to make it more like an auto Supra.

*disclaimer I am not AASE certified but was lectured constantly by Pat Barrett (Level10) and Mike Angel (Factor X).
Old 04-23-02, 06:23 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks v300

richie.. you dont want to know.

Looks like i will be waiting until next year.

Next April im going be saying bye bye to my car and its gonna go in the shop for a 2JZ-GTE and 6spd. dont forget Custom Driveshaft.

v300 you'll be reciving some PM from me in the future!!

i dunno about the tranny error mine is having now... but i know it cannot wait 1 year... the timing of this isn't working out!
Old 04-23-02, 06:30 PM
SADDLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that would be awesome if you did that... post pics when completed

drew
Old 04-23-02, 07:40 PM
RacingAristo

v300,

Do you have the address of Factor X?
Old 04-23-02, 07:58 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by LexusRules

Next April im going be saying bye bye to my car and its gonna go in the shop for a 2JZ-GTE and 6spd. dont forget Custom Driveshaft.

v300 you'll be reciving some PM from me in the future!!

i dunno about the tranny error mine is having now... but i know it cannot wait 1 year... the timing of this isn't working out!
after your car is done let's go rallying I've never seen a custom 2JZ-GTE vs. 4G63.
Old 04-23-02, 08:03 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

Guy in the GS300 classifieds selling 99 aristo twinturbo front clips... (engine,ecu, steering collum etc..) and he is in ontario??

Why dont you check it out??? mayb the time to get a new engine is now ! :eek:

dude if you get that, youd be the biggest pimp in my book.
Old 04-23-02, 09:33 PM
v300
Lead Lap

Originally posted by CamRen
Guy in the GS300 classifieds selling 99 aristo twinturbo front clips... (engine,ecu, steering collum etc..) and he is in ontario??

Why dont you check it out??? mayb the time to get a new engine is now ! :eek:

dude if you get that, youd be the biggest pimp in my book.
Then can I be your Big Poppa? Because I really love-it-when-you-call-me-big-pop-pa.
Old 04-24-02, 01:16 AM
Wheel Kinetics
Pole Position

Default Re: 2JZ-GE + Getrag 6spd

My transmission is having problems, i am seriously considering changing my tranny for a getrag 6spd and custom driveshaft... someone please shed light on the ECU problems i may have and what i have to do to overcome them.. v300 do you have any knowladge on this?

If i can get a tranny for around 700 im looking at about a 2000 install price... i will be able to do it this summer, my tranny is ****ed up!! thanks guys
Here's the skinny.. First, you will not even get the casing of the transmission for 700. The transmission is $6000+ retail, 5800 at the dealer, and 1900-3000 used with all gears and decient sycros. Ask me how I know

Second, you will have to hammer/cut/weld/destroy your transmission tunnel. It will be ugly, and that's putting it nicely. I know, I know.. "It's the Aristo in Japan with the 6 speed." You'll be pounding.

As far as ECU problems, replace the reverse wire and redo the speed sensor. This swap is best done with a stand alone. In the Supra auto to manual conversion, we use the manual computer on the auto wiring harness with slight modifications.
Old 04-24-02, 04:34 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

thanks man..

im gonna go with teh GTE and getrag at the same time. so basically i'll have to look out for:

Fitting Tranny In
Downpipe
Wiring Harness

im curious as to how a supra wiring harness would hook up to a GS!?!
Old 04-24-02, 06:20 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sasha, when you are done with that project I will have to come look you up and get a ride in the BEAST!!!
Old 04-24-02, 09:21 AM
v300
Lead Lap

im curious as to how a supra wiring harness would hook up to a GS!?!
Sasha,
Too much time=labor charge. What you're asking for is not front end only but the physical veins all the way back to the fuel tank.
Old 04-24-02, 09:23 AM
v300
Lead Lap

Sasha,

Why not just opt for the five speed manual if you really want to run a manual tranny?
Old 04-24-02, 11:25 AM
Francis K
Racer

Default ......

throw your hands in the air...if you's a true player
Old 04-24-02, 12:30 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

i want the 6-Speed. Whatever has to be done will!!!!

v300 im more concerned with other things such as ABS, Power Steering, A/C etc.

Quick Reply: 2JZ-GE + Getrag 6spd