GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2JZ-GE + Getrag 6spd

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-02, 04:33 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question 2JZ-GE + Getrag 6spd

My transmission is having problems, i am seriously considering changing my tranny for a getrag 6spd and custom driveshaft... someone please shed light on the ECU problems i may have and what i have to do to overcome them.. v300 do you have any knowladge on this?

If i can get a tranny for around 700 im looking at about a 2000 install price... i will be able to do it this summer, my tranny is ****ed up!! thanks guys
Old 04-22-02, 05:34 PM
RacingAristo

What a great chance for you to upgrade the tranny. Level Ten offers various choices of tranny upgrade. Check them out. www.levelten.com
Old 04-22-02, 06:10 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 2JZ-GE + Getrag 6spd

Originally posted by LexusRules
...my tranny is ****ed up!! thanks guys
:eek:

Do you know why it's messed up? Do you just drive the hell out of it or what?
Old 04-22-02, 06:14 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

a solonoid went out on it... im trying to determine the cause, maybe gate shifting? i hope not...

i think the getrag my car will overall go faster epk consider the following:

A) lighter
B) less loss than an auto
C) better gear ratios due to 6 gears.

I think you are talking about a stiff clutch, this just affects how hard it grips the motor.
Old 04-22-02, 06:17 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well let us know how it goes!
Old 04-22-02, 06:17 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Question

Sasha, could you post the link to the new pics you took of your car (interior)? I think you posted it in one of the threads a day or two ago but I can't find it. Specifically the one with the G-force meter.
Old 04-22-02, 08:10 PM
Francis K
Racer

Default hey sasha.....

bro...more problems with yours, I'm sorry man...it's like contradicting everything about Lexus.

About the tranny, I think it would be faster, were not talking about a turbo car where he has to worry about losing boost. I think some time on supraforums would be benficial, the N/A forum. Seeing how you have the same engine and the swap has been done and how it's the supra stock tranny....
Old 04-22-02, 09:45 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

your mom gate shifts??? she has to be the next shirley muldowney i wonder with all the electronics and computers involved if a switch to a manual would be more trouble than its worth. not to mention to mods in the interior. i would just get it fixed.

Doc
Old 04-22-02, 10:27 PM
Mariusz
Lead Lap

My transmission is having problems, i am seriously considering changing my tranny for a getrag 6spd and custom driveshaft... someone please shed light on the ECU problems i may have and what i have to do to overcome them.. v300 do you have any knowladge on this?

A solenoid hugh....And you're saying your tranny is messed up? What's the error code they gave you at the dealership? You might be jumping the gun. What are your performance mods up to date? Do you have a TC installed?

Also, I wouldn't bother with a 6spd getrag conversion unless I was getting a serious turbo or a supercharger setup. I think a conversion such as this would run you $5K+ and in the process, you or your installer would encounter some problems you didn't anticipate. This in turn would extend the time your car spends in the shop and possibly incurring additional costs. In the end, ask yourself what would be the real benefit of a 6spd conversion? Would your car be really faster without the addition of a forced induction setup? Would it be more reliable? Cost effective?
Old 04-22-02, 10:27 PM
RacingAristo

man, sasha, your GS has lots of problems, the hood doesn't close, the transmission has problems, and some other stuffs. I couldn't remember but was your GS in any accident before?

On the other hand, you should be happy that you have so many "excuses" to modify your car.

The stock hood doesn't close, let me try the Veilside one. The transmission has problem, let me change the performance transmission system. While I'm here, I may as well do some valve body upgrade and torque converter.

Good luck with your GS. Stop flooring your car at every traffic light w/gate shift. LOL.
Old 04-23-02, 04:48 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Marisuz, i am swapping to GTE engine next year and its either i put the Getrag in then, or now. I figure 700 on a solenoid is a waste. I will have the custom interior peice done by Kennedy Hi-Fi.

My GS DOES Have a lot of problems... and it sucks!!

ever since we went to donvalley, they have fixed everything we asked and fixed it well, hood, no problem rembmer that engine noise? - GONE -

they asked us to fix the tranny but my mom said no I think ken shaw was waiting for our warentee to run out so they could make some $$$$, well our warentee did run out but they didn't get anything.

I just hope installing the tranny wont be that hard.. i'll have to go somewhere that the guy could trick the ECM into accpeting the tranny...

I think we'll end up just repairing it, im just exploring my options here :-D
Old 04-23-02, 10:07 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Sasha, if you want a six speed, wouldn't it be better to do it all at once with the 2JZ-GTE?
Old 04-23-02, 10:39 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should be in sales.

I'd really like to be a fly on the wall when you have these conversations with your Mom, convincing her that an engine & tranny swap will cure her nagging tranny, hood, and engine problems.

Old 04-23-02, 12:29 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

heh heh

well ya know.... gotta do whats neccessary
Old 04-23-02, 01:19 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by LexusRules
heh heh

well ya know.... gotta do whats neccessary
Sasha, what do you do when she says no :eek: ??

Quick Reply: 2JZ-GE + Getrag 6spd